Wiki Posts
Search

Is Nitro power dying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Yeah, but they don't take near as long to recharge... and the noise and smoke is part of the appeal. It feels like a real motorsport.
there was a time when nitro runtimes were much much much longer than electrics.. those times are long gone. My brushless gets 30-40 minutes of run time, and 40min to an hour to recharge.

my .21/.28 get 10-15 minutes

I know displacement is a big part, back years ago I had a .12cv losi that would run forever on a tank, but these big blocks are gas guzzlers

I like noise and smoke, I agree, that's why I am still wrenching on them. I just hope the payout was more. Either more power, more run time, better reliability, gimme SOMETHING!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by spawn_x
Screw Nitro.

in the past 10 (or 20?) years the design has not changed, they are pickier and more sensitive now than ever, as unreliable as ever, and the power is put to shame with today's brushless.

make nitro catch up with the times already

(I have three nitros, so don't flame me!)
Yes, brushless is faster, but not on the track - we just had a race mixed nitro and electric buggies. the electrics got smoked, to much power around the track, over jumping flyin off the track at the end of the straigt, hahahaha, then they had to pit to change batteries. 20 min main and all 4 electrics over heated and shut off in the middle of the track
Old 07-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by token
Yes, brushless is faster, but not on the track - we just had a race mixed nitro and electric buggies. the electrics got smoked, to much power around the track, over jumping flyin off the track at the end of the straigt, hahahaha, then they had to pit to change batteries. 20 min main and all 4 electrics over heated and shut off in the middle of the track
that's all in the setup... sensored motor and don't overkill the KV and you'll be okay

just saying, nitro needs to catch up in a few areas..
Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

that's all in the setup... sensored motor and don't overkill the KV and you'll be okay

just saying, nitro needs to catch up in a few areas..
If there were 4 electrics in the heat and all 4 konked-out, then it's more than just a setup issue; I would be more inclined to believe that argument if at least one car would have made it through without problems.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

my .21/.28 get 10-15 minutes
And 5 seconds to fill back up and get another 10-15
Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by captain america
If there were 4 electrics in the heat and all 4 konked-out, then it's more than just a setup issue; I would be more inclined to believe that argument if at least one car would have made it through without problems.
I don't want to turn this into nitro vs. electric, I am just saying, electric has improved and evolved SIGNIFICANTLY in the recent years - lipo batteries, brushless motors, etc. Nitro is running pretty much the same setup for decades.. just change displacement, a couple ports, etc.

there are many things in a nitro that could make your day hell - pinhole leak in a tube, bearing, bad exhaust gasket, tank, anything inside the motor, etc... run time is poor, come on, barely 10 minutes on a tank?

just saying.. nitro engines need to evolve a bit
Old 07-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rallyebmx
Old 07-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

blah, gimme at least 20 minutes of run time on a tank, then I'll be happy
Old 07-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I enjoy the whole race day scene..Spending the day hanging with 50 good friends, always someone needs help advice, parts, etc. always someone to give me help, advice, parts, etc. Bullshitting about tires, engines, pipes, plugs, fuel women.Cooler full of food and drinks (sometimes beer) wrenching on my stuff, cleaning, charging batteries, organizing my tool boxes..I love everything about it!!! Races and podiums are all bonuses to an already great day at a track with my buds! I dont even care if its Nitro or electric, I love the competition, and the camaraderie.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

Nitro isn't dying in my area, in fact turnouts are better than previous years. Electric isn't taking over either, we run the electric 1/8 buggies separate from nitro 1/8. We get anywhere from 10-20 nitro buggies and 8-15 electric. Many of the guys that run electric buggy are still running their nitro buggies too.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

there are many things in a nitro that could make your day hell - pinhole leak in a tube, bearing, bad exhaust gasket, tank, anything inside the motor, etc... run time is poor, come on, barely 10 minutes on a tank?

just saying.. nitro engines need to evolve a bit
The other option would be a bunch of electric power plants all running about the same The economy is killiing all rc's
Old 07-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

some guys are really enjoying the electic eiffff scale- me personally I like the rev of the engine - the smoke, pit stops are key, adds a whole dimension to the feel of the race. Hearing them going around the track, the oil, grease, and grim. I think that if there was a electric only day, here next to the mall, no one would stop and check it out. But the OLD SCHOOL NITRO - draws in 50 spectators, from the mall that watched the buggy and truggy AMAIN...........

Last edited by token; 10-20-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

The other option would be a bunch of electric power plants all running about the same The economy is killiing all rc's
Working in a hobby shop - I have to disagree, if anything the economy is helping the hobby. I have more father/son combos coing in buying two of everything, because its cheaper than, alot of other family stuff. Its awsome seeing a whole family at the track all day. tots playing with 1/36 scales or rustlers, moms in there group and buying food and beer (shhhhhhhhhhhhh) - its hugh here, more and more guys are getting in to the hobby simply buyin the 8 and 8t 2.0 RTRs coming out getting in the way - hahahahaha - but I have to say the economy is not killing it

then with Live RC doing its thing right now - I bet in the next few years - worlds and nats will be showed on ESPN2.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The people getting in your way today, are the same people who will be kicking your butt tomorrow
Old 07-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jaz240
The people getting in your way today, are the same people who will be kicking your butt tomorrow
hahahahahahahahaha, they can try, its encouraged

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.