Wiki Posts
Search

Is Nitro power dying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Is Nitro power dying?

I was just wondering if Nitro is dying off in anyones elses area. Here in the DFW area, nitro tracks are closing. My two LHS say that two months ago, Nitro car sales and anything related took a nose dive. But claim electric has been staying steady. I bailed out of nitro buggies some months back because I got tired of the repair bills and the cost of nitro.

Starting to feel like the grim reaper is swinging the axe on Nitro offroad.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Nitro in the DFW is not dying at all. Indy is still and will always be open. JCG is the only other 1/8 scale track in DFW. I heard it might be closing, but I'm not 100% sure of that. Mikes Hobby Shop is looking into an outdoors 1/8 track..

Last edited by mrcdub; 07-17-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Tech Adept

I do not know about nitro dying.

Go to any outdoor racing facility in the country and see what they are racing, "1/8th scale nitro"!

I have been to many tracks over the last year and i can count on one hand how many electric buggies I have seen. Electric sales are up because that is what all of the bashers use. Nitro powered race buggies are such good quality now they can be used for a few years with minor maint if the operator knows what he is doing.

my02
Old 07-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Adept

johhny coolguys is definetly closing. last race is august 1
Old 07-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

here in the Phoenix AZ area we just got 2 new tracks, bringing our total off road Nitro tracks to 5. One of them is the Nitro Pit, which gets stronger every month thanks to a huge influx of newbie drivers as well as 2 new hobby shops..Sorry about the DFW area, but here in AZ Nitro is bigger than ever..At least you still have the COWBOYS!!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Jaz240
here in the Phoenix AZ area we just got 2 new tracks, bringing our total off road Nitro tracks to 5. One of them is the Nitro Pit, which gets stronger every month thanks to a huge influx of newbie drivers as well as 2 new hobby shops..Sorry about the DFW area, but here in AZ Nitro is bigger than ever..At least you still have the COWBOYS!!!!

+1 Well put..

Even though last year was the first year I was truly dissappointed to be a Die Hard Cowboy fan. We got our asses straight handed to us at the end of the season!! Looking forward to the new stadium though and the Super Bowl!!

Hopefully our Rangers won't flame out again this year like they always do after the All-Star break.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

They been breakin my heart every year since 95..GOD I miss Jimmy!!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

They been breakin my heart every year since 95..GOD I miss Jimmy!!
+1 on that
Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

its strong here in CO - we have 2 bad ass tracks - one classic track and what we call the newbie basher track.....................And more and more peopel are showing bup because the newbie basher track is right next to a hugh mall and attrack alot of attention
Old 07-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

JCG is closing due to lack of interest... not by the racers, but just because Jake just doesn't have his heart in it any longer. He's burned out.

He closed the hobby shop itself, and just kept the track around to be nice to the local guys... Jake is a really nice guy and he will be (and already is) missed.

There are probably more nitro racers than ever. A few leave for whatever reason, but there are more new ones all the time.

Yes, electric is growing too... but the fastest growing class is nitro truggy. It is just fun...
Old 07-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Nitro is strong here in Jersey. I go to a few tracks in South NJ/PA and only see no more than 1 or 2 electric 1/8 offroad vehicles. The Short Course trucks has there own class and are the only electrics growing.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Screw Nitro.

in the past 10 (or 20?) years the design has not changed, they are pickier and more sensitive now than ever, as unreliable as ever, and the power is put to shame with today's brushless.

make nitro catch up with the times already

(I have three nitros, so don't flame me!)
Old 07-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spawn_x
Screw Nitro.

in the past 10 (or 20?) years the design has not changed, they are pickier and more sensitive now than ever, as unreliable as ever, and the power is put to shame with today's brushless.

make nitro catch up with the times already

(I have three nitros, so don't flame me!)
Yeah, but they don't take near as long to recharge... and the noise and smoke is part of the appeal. It feels like a real motorsport.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Go STEELERS!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Yeah, but they don't take near as long to recharge... and the noise and smoke is part of the appeal. It feels like a real motorsport.
It is real motorsport! The feeling you get in a race is identical. The giddy but frustrating feeling you get when trying to drop your lap times in practice is the same, too. The only difference is that when you cut too tight or brake too late in RC racing, you aren't risking your life.

The environment is very similar as well. The same feeling in the pits. Usually rich guys separate from the poorer privateers.

Also, people are a lot more helpful to their competitors in 8th scale offroad, I've found. People are still a bit anal in the onroad classes, but in 8th scale it's very relaxed and whatnot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.