Is Nitro power dying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Nitro power dying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

I don't think Nitro is dying, but I do think that Electric is gaining much popularity. The guys at my LHS (including some of the customers) try to convince me to go electric, telling me that its way easier and faster and less expensive etc.

I do think the economy has a role in the downed nitro sales, although it really isn't the most expensive hobby. My other hobby, photography, makes nitro its bitch in terms of cost. A decent lens will cost you $400-600, and you really can't have just one lens. An advanced lens will run $900-1500, even more sometimes. And a decent camera body will cost ~$700-1000. Most photographers, amateur and pro, carry multiple camera bodies and lenses. Another expensive hobby is paintball. Paintballers usually go about once a week, and spend about $75 per, plus a gun that costs a few hundred dollars. It adds up quick.

My point is that Nitro or electric RC is probably one of the less expensive hobbies that are actually fun (in case any of you try to cite knitting).
Old 07-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
Theres the attitude that brings out the nitro vs electric it's un called for. Either one is superior it's just in your head
I think you're missing the point I'm trying to make. I'm not trying to come off with an attitude about electric over nitro (I run nitro by the way), what I mean is that electric is superior, It's clean, they start every time, they are more reliable, they are quiet so people near tracks won't complain about noise, it has very accurate throttle control so they are usually faster around the track. Despite all those advantages, nitro is still more popular. People still want the challenge of tuning their engines and the reward it brings when they get it right.

Nitro isn't dying, it's still growing (look at how many entries there at nitro nats). It's growing because it's FUN.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Nothing replaces the thrill of sound, smell and smoke from a nitro motor. But nothing else in R/c can replace that thrill when you pull the trigger for the first time on a good electric 1.8th buggy. I race both and to me the electric is just more fun, faster and cleaner.

and charge times of 1 hour are history. Modern lipos charge in 12-14 min from fully dead. Yes, even the big ones.

Maybe if fuel injected nitro motors ever come around...
Old 07-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spawn_x
that's all in the setup... sensored motor and don't overkill the KV and you'll be okay

just saying, nitro needs to catch up in a few areas..

Exactly....it's all in setup for nitro also, if you don't know how to tune a motor or setup a clutch you''ll hate it.

People are just getting lazy, lazy, lazy......they jsut want to charge and go. I've seen more electric melt and break parts than nitro.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dreaux
wouldn't fuel injection increase the performance of nitro? I mean they use it in airplane engines.

If electric guys can't tune a conventional motor..... you want to go complicating it on them more with a fuel injected one.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Truly, electric is a lot better than nitro in so many areas!!! But like others have stated, nitro is just SO COOL! People come over when they hear a 2 stroke engine come to life. Now if you want even more attention, get a 4 stroke kit that the Palms created! Now Thats knowledge and ingenuity that Damon Palm has put to this hobby. Everyone around here always loves when the 10th scale gas truck class is up. 3-4 little 4 stroke gas trucks tearing up the track pushing out WAY more RPM's than 2 strokes.

Our local rc scene is actually coming back to life. Due to expenses and such, we havent had the best rc facility but the people are awesome. More and more kids are getting into it and just having a fun time. I dont race to win. I race for the FUN of it. Especially when you look up at the beginners class and you see the smiles on all those kids. It says that maybe there will be a bright future in RC. As far as the whole 'electric vs. nitro' issue, just put it to rest. I dont know how many threads are on this forum about arguing which one is better. Just choose the one you prefer and go racing!!
Old 07-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Legend

trumper trucks R Kool
Old 07-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by spawn_x
I don't want to turn this into nitro vs. electric, I am just saying, electric has improved and evolved SIGNIFICANTLY in the recent years - lipo batteries, brushless motors, etc. Nitro is running pretty much the same setup for decades.. just change displacement, a couple ports, etc.

there are many things in a nitro that could make your day hell - pinhole leak in a tube, bearing, bad exhaust gasket, tank, anything inside the motor, etc... run time is poor, come on, barely 10 minutes on a tank?

just saying.. nitro engines need to evolve a bit
You seem pretty persistent on that fuel economy thing! Maybe our wonderful new government can step in and mandate fuel economy standards for us by 2011
Old 07-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Legend

Cali is going to ban nitro, just something I heard .
Old 07-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Tech Rookie

I'm not sure how popular nitro is around me (southern Ontario) but I just chose nitro over electric myself because it seems more real to me, adding fuel, hearing the muffler, the power they put out. It's like how people enjoy working on motors and tuning them to perfection. It may be a bit more but with good upkeep , there's nothing to worry about. Just like anything with a motor.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Oh man that means they'll all be moving to Arizona...I'll have to race Truhe and Drake every week
Old 07-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer

lol, first thing i thought
Old 07-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bjr48
You seem pretty persistent on that fuel economy thing! Maybe our wonderful new government can step in and mandate fuel economy standards for us by 2011
no probly next week
Old 07-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by losi_racer
This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer

lol, first thing i thought
Everything out there causes cancer. You can get ear cancer just listening to all the BS they say.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Davidka
I think you're missing the point I'm trying to make. I'm not trying to come off with an attitude about electric over nitro (I run nitro by the way), what I mean is that electric is superior, It's clean, they start every time, they are more reliable, they are quiet so people near tracks won't complain about noise, it has very accurate throttle control so they are usually faster around the track. Despite all those advantages, nitro is still more popular. People still want the challenge of tuning their engines and the reward it brings when they get it right.

Nitro isn't dying, it's still growing (look at how many entries there at nitro nats). It's growing because it's FUN.
Either one isn't exactly superior still.