Hot to stop a OS engine

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • Quote: Touching the flywheel is the correct way to turn off your engine.
    Plugging the exhaust damages the glow plug.
    Pinching the line starves the engine of lubrication. If it's the end of the day pinching the line and or just letting it run out at idle is ok.
    Plugging the exhaust also creates a vacuum which may suck dirt from your air filter into your engine...I learned long ago that is not a good way to shut your engine down..pinch line, or stop flywheel..Never plug exhaust.

For the after run oil, the safest easiest way I have found is to take the manifold off and put a couple of drops in the rear exhaust port. I do a few drops with the piston at TDC and a few at BDC and then spin it good on the box..No dirt from the glow plug falls in your engine, and you dont need to chance the o-rings in the carb
  • When the manual says, don't inject after run oil into carb they mean through the fuel line

clear oil like the novarossi stuff is what to use for filled cranks, still don't puddle it though

most red after run is BAD for filled cranks

touch the flywheel with finger, my finger is thick by now , or handle end of driver, or shoe for runaway
  • gmk afterlife. Will not harm puttied cranks and is injected into the carb through the fuel inlet with a shringe that is included. I have had really good luck with it. The only thing is it's kinda hard to start if it sets awhile cause it coats up on the plug. I usually take out the plug and wipe it off if I let it set for a few weeks until i start it again.
  • Quote: gmk afterlife. Will not harm puttied cranks and is injected into the carb through the fuel inlet with a shringe that is included. I have had really good luck with it. The only thing is it's kinda hard to start if it sets awhile cause it coats up on the plug. I usually take out the plug and wipe it off if I let it set for a few weeks until i start it again.
    +1 on the GMK, and it does make for hard starts and lots of smoke as the oil burns off. I run a speed and I wont use the red stuff.
  • ive always stuck my finger over the exhaust and it has done no harm, it depends how fast u wonna stop the car, if u have damaged it finger over the exhaust, if you wonna juz turn it off and use again stop by flywheel, if done for the day pinch the fuel pipe
  • Quote: Plugging the exhaust also creates a vacuum which may suck dirt from your air filter into your engine...I learned long ago that is not a good way to shut your engine down..pinch line, or stop flywheel..Never plug exhaust.
    Uh, RUNNING the engine creates vacuum which causes the motor to suck air from the carb which has guess what attached to it? The air filter!!

I've always plugged the exhaust to stop the engine without any ill effects on the engine whatsoever. All it does is disrupt the cycling of the engine causing it to stall out. As an added bonus, when stopping the engine by the exhaust, 99.99 percent of the time the engine will drop to BDC.
  • Thinking about it when you stop the engine using flywheel there will still be fuel left in engine, what the best way to get this out? Take off the glow plug and just tip it upside down?