R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
Tech Regular
 
davidg01234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 385
Default Locking center diff

i locked the center diff on my 8 scale buggy it gave it really fast accleration but its hard to control is it bad to do that
davidg01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg01234 View Post
i locked the center diff on my 8 scale buggy it gave it really fast accleration but its hard to control is it bad to do that
yes, now you have not slip, which give the ride stablity
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Horizon - TLR 8ight 4.0 - TLR 8ight-T 4.0 - TLR 22 4.0 - Orion
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Tech Regular
 
davidg01234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
yes, now you have not slip, which give the ride stablity
what do u mean no slip
davidg01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
Tech Champion
 
JAMMINKRAZY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 6,575
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

LOL

Did you not think there might be a reason there is a center diff in your car.
__________________
-Koby Kubrin-
Thanks to my Sponsors:
Serpent America | Team Novarossi | Desoto Racing | Race AKA | Ridgeway Bodies
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,499
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Not advisable in my opinion. And why would you wan t to eliminate a tuning point on your car?
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
Tech Regular
 
RJNicholson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Allen, TX (another burb of Dallas)
Posts: 371
Default

You may have gotten more forward drive, but now your center diff will not distribute power to the front or rear when you start to loose traction, or in off power steering.

If you want a fully locking diff get a smart diff or an active diff that you can fit into your ride. This way it unlocks on off power like it needs to so you get an even distribution of power to your front and rear. If you don't let the diff unlock and unload power you will never be able to keep consistant times b/c you will never be able to come in and out of a turn consistant enough each time.

IMO a bad choice unless your just dragging or running on nothing but straights. Technical tight tracks would kill you.
__________________
*Team Terribles*
Rigs Listed Below
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/BCE Chassis/OS VZB *Sleeper*/RE11/JRHV Servos/KHZ
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/Werks B7 Pro/2013/Hitech HV Servos
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 E/Mamba Monster ESC/Xcelorin 2100kv or NEU Castle 2650kv *RIP-LIPO FIRE
RJNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Tech Regular
 
davidg01234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
LOL

Did you not think there might be a reason there is a center diff in your car.
well im not that smart about this stuff. so why is it bad to lock it and is it bad to lock the front and rear to
davidg01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Tech Regular
 
davidg01234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJNicholson View Post
You may have gotten more forward drive, but now your center diff will not distribute power to the front or rear when you start to loose traction, or in off power steering.

If you want a fully locking diff get a smart diff or an active diff that you can fit into your ride. This way it unlocks on off power like it needs to so you get an even distribution of power to your front and rear. If you don't let the diff unlock and unload power you will never be able to keep consistant times b/c you will never be able to come in and out of a turn consistant enough each time.

IMO a bad choice unless your just dragging or running on nothing but straights. Technical tight tracks would kill you.
ya they would kill me because i cant control it at all. But before i did this the front was getting more power than the rear
davidg01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
Tech Regular
 
davidg01234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Not advisable in my opinion. And why would you wan t to eliminate a tuning point on your car?
because before i did it the front was getting more power than the back
davidg01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Tech Regular
 
RJNicholson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Allen, TX (another burb of Dallas)
Posts: 371
Default

Locked up diffs = no off power steering a very bad thing in 1/8th scale off road.

Diffs have different thickness of oils for the affect you are looking for. I would read up on using different oils with different weights to get the locking affect you are looking for with out fully locking the diff and loosing all your off power steering.
__________________
*Team Terribles*
Rigs Listed Below
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/BCE Chassis/OS VZB *Sleeper*/RE11/JRHV Servos/KHZ
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/Werks B7 Pro/2013/Hitech HV Servos
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 E/Mamba Monster ESC/Xcelorin 2100kv or NEU Castle 2650kv *RIP-LIPO FIRE
RJNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
Tech Regular
 
RJNicholson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Allen, TX (another burb of Dallas)
Posts: 371
Default

Put a thicker oil in the center. It will keep the diff from unloading to the front or rear so easily.
__________________
*Team Terribles*
Rigs Listed Below
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/BCE Chassis/OS VZB *Sleeper*/RE11/JRHV Servos/KHZ
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 B/Werks B7 Pro/2013/Hitech HV Servos
Losi 8IGHT 2.0 E/Mamba Monster ESC/Xcelorin 2100kv or NEU Castle 2650kv *RIP-LIPO FIRE
RJNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #12
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

David, didn't you lock your diff just so you can do donuts? didn't you also disconnect the front CVD so you only have rear wheel drive..You need to let everyone know why you locked your diff or you will just continue to get silly replies. For normal applications locking your center diff is useless, especially if racing..but for what you are using it for you should be fine..Just dont expect the car to handle like it used to..when you get tired of donuts and drifting, take the Putty out of your center diff..you did use some sort of putty like I recommended didn't You? I sure hope you didn't use any type of glue..then you need to buy a new diff
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #13
Tech Regular
 
davidg01234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJNicholson View Post
Locked up diffs = no off power steering a very bad thing in 1/8th scale off road.

Diffs have different thickness of oils for the affect you are looking for. I would read up on using different oils with different weights to get the locking affect you are looking for with out fully locking the diff and loosing all your off power steering.
well all my difs have this screw that i can screw in to lock or screw out to unlock. my LHas said i didnt need any diff oils. I have the ofna lx one
davidg01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,644
Default

The puropse of center diff is more of a traction control feature - push/pull - it gives the ride a true 4 wheel drive.
__________________
TLR - Spektrum - Horizon - TLR 8ight 4.0 - TLR 8ight-T 4.0 - TLR 22 4.0 - Orion
token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #15
Tech Regular
 
davidg01234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
David, didn't you lock your diff just so you can do donuts? didn't you also disconnect the front CVD so you only have rear wheel drive..You need to let everyone know why you locked your diff or you will just continue to get silly replies. For normal applications locking your center diff is useless, especially if racing..but for what you are using it for you should be fine..Just dont expect the car to handle like it used to..when you get tired of donuts and drifting, take the Putty out of your center diff..you did use some sort of putty like I recommended didn't You? I sure hope you didn't use any type of glue..then you need to buy a new diff
well i like to bash around and occasianally go to the track but i will loosen it up so i dont spin out
davidg01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serpent 710 Ron C. Nitro On-Road 23347 03-16-2010 01:47 PM
EVERYTHING for your Traxxas REVO! Stock Parts and Hop-ups at COST pricing! NIP All-Star R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 351 12-15-2009 11:07 AM
Losi 8B/8T Parts Lot rstnboy R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 08-22-2008 06:29 AM
Losi 8ight FoR TrAdE R@ge R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 34 06-18-2008 10:46 AM
Upgraded Pro 4 with lots of spares!!!! absolut_racer R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 15 12-22-2005 12:44 AM
One way zachzachz Electric On-Road 24 08-11-2003 07:26 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:35 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net