Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compare betwen MBX6 and Xray 808

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

from wat i observed (on track and youtube), 808 is very nimble (or twitchy), whereas the mbx6 is planted... is that the driver or the car i am not sure... anyone else share my observations?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

I drive 808,I had a mbx5r,I like 808 better. I thought Mugen quality & attention to detail was the best then I got the 808 & hands down 808 wins,& for example when my buds front upper hinge pin pulled out of the shock tower during warm up & I had to haul ass to get the car running for the race I found how much easier it was to work on my 808.that repair would have been about 40 sec on 808 & turned into a 6-7 min job on his mbx6, for things like that & those little hinge pin holder pucks wearing so fast & how long the front arms last,little things like that.The last time I drove my buds mbx6 it felt just like my 808 only looser in the rear. He has since corrected the rear susp problems & said it drives just like my 808 last time he drove it.I like the front steering design better on the 808 & ease of maintenance much better than the mugen but all that is little stuff.I have owned all but the new kyosho & losi 2.0 & X2 jammin but had their older stuff & can say without any reservation that X-ray & mugen are the only cars I trust spending my money on but feel the 808 is in tune with me on more levels.

Oh we had a bunch of broken mbx6 at my track when they first came out but havent seen one break for months,then again my 808 has only broken a front inner camber link rod end in 17 or so gallons & the car still stayed together & I found it when checking for the cause of poor right turning on the track.

Flip a coin,IMO 808 is better but mugen parts are more readily available around here.

& ganymede that is setup & driver 808 can be setup stable as a tractor or twitchy as hell if you like just like most other brands.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default 808 mbx6

I have both an 09 808 & xtb8 and mbx6 & mbx6t both are great but I like the mbx's ability to exchange parts much better than the xrays. Mark
Old 07-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Good point!
Old 07-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by butch man
I drive 808,I had a mbx5r,I like 808 better. I thought Mugen quality & attention to detail was the best then I got the 808 & hands down 808 wins,& for example when my buds front upper hinge pin pulled out of the shock tower during warm up & I had to haul ass to get the car running for the race I found how much easier it was to work on my 808.that repair would have been about 40 sec on 808 & turned into a 6-7 min job on his mbx6, for things like that & those little hinge pin holder pucks wearing so fast & how long the front arms last,little things like that.The last time I drove my buds mbx6 it felt just like my 808 only looser in the rear. He has since corrected the rear susp problems & said it drives just like my 808 last time he drove it.I like the front steering design better on the 808 & ease of maintenance much better than the mugen but all that is little stuff.I have owned all but the new kyosho & losi 2.0 & X2 jammin but had their older stuff & can say without any reservation that X-ray & mugen are the only cars I trust spending my money on but feel the 808 is in tune with me on more levels.

Oh we had a bunch of broken mbx6 at my track when they first came out but havent seen one break for months,then again my 808 has only broken a front inner camber link rod end in 17 or so gallons & the car still stayed together & I found it when checking for the cause of poor right turning on the track.

Flip a coin,IMO 808 is better but mugen parts are more readily available around here.

& ganymede that is setup & driver 808 can be setup stable as a tractor or twitchy as hell if you like just like most other brands.
thanks! where i am, the 808 is a bit cheaper than the mbx6 but san the wheel and tires, parts wise both equally available.

i like my car to be planted and both cars seems to be capable of it hence the tough choice...
Old 07-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by butch man
I drive 808,I had a mbx5r,I like 808 better. I thought Mugen quality & attention to detail was the best then I got the 808 & hands down 808 wins,& for example when my buds front upper hinge pin pulled out of the shock tower during warm up & I had to haul ass to get the car running for the race I found how much easier it was to work on my 808.that repair would have been about 40 sec on 808 & turned into a 6-7 min job on his mbx6.
You can upgrade the MBX-6 with the M2C front brace & hinge pin holders; makes accessing/removing all the suspension arms a breeze; the front brace allows quick removal of the front upper arms and doubles as a reinforcement to the front shock tower
Old 07-15-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

I ran the 08 808 last year. I liked the car but hated the balls falling out of the bearings all the time. This made me DNF all the time. It wasn't just me because all of the other 4 guys running the car had the same problem. This didn't just affect us locally it was occuring all over the world. This year I'm running the X6. I like the way it handles better and no bearing problems. However, we've had every car (4) break atleast 1 rear toe in plate. I suspect that on big air landings the 1 down toe-in plate hits the ground breaking it. The MBX6 is not near as tough as the X5r. The composite on the X6 is more rigid and brittle than the X5r. This makes the car respond faster but it makes it not friendly for new drivers or drivers that crash too often. on the other hand the X6 doesn't near wear as fast as the X5 due to the harder composite. I've said this many times before and again Xray pivot balls are crap. Slop develops after you run it once and gets worse the more you run it. I've had the 05 XB8, 06 Xb8r, and the 08 808 and the same for all 3.

unless Xray goes to a smaller bearing around the diff pinnion gear it will always be a problem. It's spinning too fast, generating that much more heat, requiring that much more maitenance, and will fail sooner or later. If the pinnion bearing fails it's not just one part like a broken toe-in plate it's the pinion gear, ring gear, diff case, bearings, bulkhead, and most likely rear center drive shaft and pin. I know this happened to my 808. They did not warranty it. I had the car for 3 weeks when this happened. For this reason save yourself the headache and don't go with the 808.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:20 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Toycar5
I ran the 08 808 last year. I liked the car but hated the balls falling out of the bearings all the time. This made me DNF all the time. It wasn't just me because all of the other 4 guys running the car had the same problem. This didn't just affect us locally it was occuring all over the world. This year I'm running the X6. I like the way it handles better and no bearing problems. However, we've had every car (4) break atleast 1 rear toe in plate. I suspect that on big air landings the 1 down toe-in plate hits the ground breaking it. The MBX6 is not near as tough as the X5r. The composite on the X6 is more rigid and brittle than the X5r. This makes the car respond faster but it makes it not friendly for new drivers or drivers that crash too often. on the other hand the X6 doesn't near wear as fast as the X5 due to the harder composite. I've said this many times before and again Xray pivot balls are crap. Slop develops after you run it once and gets worse the more you run it. I've had the 05 XB8, 06 Xb8r, and the 08 808 and the same for all 3.

unless Xray goes to a smaller bearing around the diff pinnion gear it will always be a problem. It's spinning too fast, generating that much more heat, requiring that much more maitenance, and will fail sooner or later. If the pinnion bearing fails it's not just one part like a broken toe-in plate it's the pinion gear, ring gear, diff case, bearings, bulkhead, and most likely rear center drive shaft and pin. I know this happened to my 808. They did not warranty it. I had the car for 3 weeks when this happened. For this reason save yourself the headache and don't go with the 808.
wouldn't smaller bearings generate even more heat and stress as the surface area is smaller?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:27 AM
Tech Master

*deleted* double posts...
Old 07-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That bearing issue has never been a problem for me. I just ground down the tip of the CVD where it meets the centre diff by about 1-2mm, and lengthened the slots on the centre diff cups also about 1-2mm. I have never replaced those bearings... I still have the 08 setup without the collar.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Semple
That bearing issue has never been a problem for me. I just ground down the tip of the CVD where it meets the centre diff by about 1-2mm, and lengthened the slots on the centre diff cups also about 1-2mm. I have never replaced those bearings... I still have the 08 setup without the collar.
Same here, and I have not ground or modified anything. I think that problem was solved after the first batch of 808's shipped. I did put the spacers in my bulkheads though just to be safe
Old 07-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the composite matierial on my 6 and my buddies 5r is damn near identical. My first 6 took a beating. Cracked a front shock tower (not broke) and replaced it with the aluminum one. I have the alumium upper hinge pin holder but have yet to install it my plastic ones have never failed. No bent shock shafts, only bent screws. they do have a really high ramp (one that you do a u turn on while going vertical) and i over shot it and my buggy landed on it's back from about 20 ft up and busted my rear bulkhead. But i think that type landing would have broke just about anything. Cartwheels, flips, landing on one tire doesn't phase it. I am trying 5 7 5 diff fluid and really liking it.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dreaux
the composite matierial on my 6 and my buddies 5r is damn near identical. My first 6 took a beating. Cracked a front shock tower (not broke) and replaced it with the aluminum one. I have the alumium upper hinge pin holder but have yet to install it my plastic ones have never failed. No bent shock shafts, only bent screws. they do have a really high ramp (one that you do a u turn on while going vertical) and i over shot it and my buggy landed on it's back from about 20 ft up and busted my rear bulkhead. But i think that type landing would have broke just about anything. Cartwheels, flips, landing on one tire doesn't phase it. I am trying 5 7 5 diff fluid and really liking it.
ya know... your buggy sounds a lot like an olympic gymnast.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by unsp0ken
ya know... your buggy sounds a lot like an olympic gymnast.
yeah learning to drive was not as fun as i thought it would be. Oh yeah blew up a engine too.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Tech Addict

I ran the 08 808 last year. I liked the car but hated the balls falling out of the bearings all the time. This made me DNF all the time. It wasn't just me because all of the other 4 guys running the car had the same problem. This didn't just affect us locally it was occuring all over the world.
I've been running an 808 for year now and not 1 bearing falure they have revised alot to do with housings and bearing spacers and I would go as far as saying they are damn near bullet proof. they wear a bit more than I was expecting but I've never had a DNF due to a breakage.

the plastics on the first batch of x6 was slightly harder than the x5 and they were a little more brittle but like xray mugen have made revisions to the buggy to improve it they also had a diff leak problem which i beleive has also been dealt with.

so every brand has teething prolems it just a matter of what they do about it.

as for the original question you can't go wrong with either I would suggest tring to drive both and see what you prefer the most it's the only true way to make the choice

Adrian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.