R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #31
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 1,075
Default

No pinion or pinion bearing problems on my 08-808 either in 16+gal.I do change pinion bearings about every 4 gal or so & grease them every couple gallons-ish.I was at a play day & heard my front diff whine badly from forgetting to put shims(0.4mm) back on after changing fluid & didnt ever bother to pull off & install them,I knew it wouldnt damage Hudy steele gears,that kind of confidence is one of the reasons I run the 808. I do replace outer wheel bearings more often than I would if they were 8X16 but $4 in bearings every few gallons is a small price to pay for what I think is the only short coming of the car but all MFGs are turning to smaller "ball" style bearings these days, too bad to cuz I dont like that trend. As for pivot balls & rod ends Mine have less slop at over 8 gallons(were replaced once at first 8 gal)than my losi did out of the box & about equile to my mugen 5r & 5t at about 4-5 gallons.
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #32
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,779
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semple View Post
That bearing issue has never been a problem for me. I just ground down the tip of the CVD where it meets the centre diff by about 1-2mm, and lengthened the slots on the centre diff cups also about 1-2mm. I have never replaced those bearings... I still have the 08 setup without the collar.
any photos?
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:37 AM   #33
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 75
Default

Just do a search for Xray 808 bearing failures. It's like the tobacco companies in the past saying smoking doesn't cause cancer. Sure 5% of smokers are okay and they speak up but what about the other 95% that are dead. Oh yah, I'm back from the grave telling you my story.
Toycar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:56 AM   #34
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,210
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganymede View Post
any photos?

I'll take a couple after work. Probably just post them in the 808 thread. But like I said, I haven't had bearing failure. Not before and not after the slight modification of the shaft. Another driver at the track told me to do it just in case. The 808 has tons of flex and will fold up like a taco(in a good way) and I guess the theory was that it bottoms out the pin in the outdrive slots and that's when the bearing damage is done on the other end of the cvd. Apparently it has solved a few 808 guys' bearing problems around here.
__________________
Team HRC Raceway - http://www.hrcraceway.ca/
Semple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #35
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,779
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toycar5 View Post
Just do a search for Xray 808 bearing failures. It's like the tobacco companies in the past saying smoking doesn't cause cancer. Sure 5% of smokers are okay and they speak up but what about the other 95% that are dead. Oh yah, I'm back from the grave telling you my story.
interesting! i wonder what will those forumers in the 808 thread gonna to say about this...
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #36
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

I am one of those forumers, and I'm not dead either..I built my 808 box stock according to the Manual..No mods at all, just some set-up changes, no grinding, no sanding..Except for the center diff plate (to make more room for my throttle link) I did put the spacers in my bulkheads when they were released a few months back, but so far I have about 10 gallons on my 808 since last October and have not had 1 problem with any bearings or drive train..The only think I find to be a pain in the butt is that the engine lines up on an angle to the center diff. Its not straight and meshing my gears after removal of the 2 piece mount is a pain in the AZZ!!!!
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:51 AM   #37
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,779
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
I am one of those forumers, and I'm not dead either..I built my 808 box stock according to the Manual..No mods at all, just some set-up changes, no grinding, no sanding..Except for the center diff plate (to make more room for my throttle link) I did put the spacers in my bulkheads when they were released a few months back, but so far I have about 10 gallons on my 808 since last October and have not had 1 problem with any bearings or drive train..The only think I find to be a pain in the butt is that the engine lines up on an angle to the center diff. Its not straight and meshing my gears after removal of the 2 piece mount is a pain in the AZZ!!!!
i met a few that said the 808 is problematic and needs lots of maintenance, on the other hand there are those like yourself and those wonderful folks in the 808 threads that said otherwise... this is getting confusing! i guess the only to way to clear that up is to actually build and race one...
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:40 AM   #38
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 1,075
Default

Good idea!
__________________
"TEAM TERRIBLES"
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:12 AM   #39
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,210
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I love the 808 BECAUSE it is low maintenance. My only problem to date was front shock towers. I have split the carbon fibre and ruined two of them.
__________________
Team HRC Raceway - http://www.hrcraceway.ca/
Semple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:36 AM   #40
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,779
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semple View Post
I love the 808 BECAUSE it is low maintenance. My only problem to date was front shock towers. I have split the carbon fibre and ruined two of them.
did u seal it with CA before running them?
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #41
Tech Elite
 
xlgraphicspro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 2,052
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toycar5 View Post
Just do a search for Xray 808 bearing failures. It's like the tobacco companies in the past saying smoking doesn't cause cancer. Sure 5% of smokers are okay and they speak up but what about the other 95% that are dead. Oh yah, I'm back from the grave telling you my story.
Add me into that 5% category. I still have the old bulkheads, and no spacers in my 08 xb808. Not one bearing blowout resulting in a DNF to date. The Car is a tank disquised as a F1 race car!
__________________
TeamXray RCAmerica Hudy Xlgraphicspro Paint/ Impulse-Rc Clutch shoes.
Xray XB 808 O.S. Speed Or Ninja JX
xlgraphicspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #42
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganymede View Post
i met a few that said the 808 is problematic and needs lots of maintenance, on the other hand there are those like yourself and those wonderful folks in the 808 threads that said otherwise... this is getting confusing! i guess the only to way to clear that up is to actually build and race one...
My guess would be that people telling you they are high maintenance and problematic are not people who own one!!! XRAY took the best of all the new buggies and made it better and then released it..Its built like a tank, fast as hell, jumps like a Gazelle, and turns on a dime..The only slop after 10 gallons was new drive pins, center diff outdrive cups and tighten up a few screws..All other parts parts on my buggy are still the originals. (except for some severe crashes that did break stuff)
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #43
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,210
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganymede View Post
did u seal it with CA before running them?
Yep. I think it may have just been the CA I used not being very good. I have never seen anyone else with an 808 have the same issue with the towers.
__________________
Team HRC Raceway - http://www.hrcraceway.ca/
Semple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #44
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oceanside CA
Posts: 1,075
Default

I sanded & CAed mine & while notactually damaged the tops are ground down to an angle from sliding upside down too much
__________________
"TEAM TERRIBLES"
butch man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:05 AM   #45
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,779
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
My guess would be that people telling you they are high maintenance and problematic are not people who own one!!! XRAY took the best of all the new buggies and made it better and then released it..Its built like a tank, fast as hell, jumps like a Gazelle, and turns on a dime..The only slop after 10 gallons was new drive pins, center diff outdrive cups and tighten up a few screws..All other parts parts on my buggy are still the originals. (except for some severe crashes that did break stuff)

i hav to admit that i am on the same boat as with the thread starter, trying to make up my mind on whether to get a 808 or a mbx6. one thing for sure is that i am currently swinging toward 808 based on all those wonderful comments by those in the 808 threads. mbx6 also has it fair share of excellent comments and reviews and i believe both are very capable cars, it all boils down to personal preference and of course the all important parts support.
ganymede is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:04 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net