Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR vs Losi 2.0 8ight Race Roller

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR vs Losi 2.0 8ight Race Roller

I have found snippets in various threads but haven't found one thread to discuss this directly.

I am trying to compare Losi's 2.0 8ight RTR with its cousin the race roller.

I know the RTR comes with things that the race roller does not:
1) Radio and receiver - The DX3S is a very good radio and the telemetry receiver is also top notch. While there are better radios, the included one in the RTR package is probably good enough for most racers.
2) Servos - The servos are junk and should be replaced ASAP.
3) Engine - I have no idea how the 350 and 454 engines included in the RTR packages for buggy and truggy respectively compare to the various engines one might buy and put in the trucks. Are they right at the bottom - somewhere in the low end - middle range or something else entirely.

What I also don't know is what hop ups the race roller has that the RTR doesn't, how much these cost and whether or not they are even available for purchase separately.

Hopefully we can keep this generic for both the Buggy and Truggy versions. If not please be specific.

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:11 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

the rtr is the ticket if u have nothing or just a radio sys to bring to the table (i bought it and dumped the radio to lower my outlay to around 400). yes i changed the servos as a precaution more than anything.

buy it and enjoy it. why dont u come up to parkton this coming sunday and more importantly next sunday for some big 1/8 races. and u'll see

R
Old 07-15-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Race Roll Chassis and shock towers Milled pieces
RTR chassis and Shock Towers Stamped aluminum

RR has Aluminum Shock caps
RTR has plastic Shock caps

Servos are the first thing you would replace IMO, you are looking at a few hundred $$ for that along.

The chassis, servos, and shock towers are your Big $$ items that you would be looking for. Not sure on the motor, one of our locals has the RTR buggy and the motor has seemed to do pretty good from what I have seen, not a motor I would buy, but for the RTR a pretty good power plant.

Yes, chassis,shock towers, and shock caps area all available to purchase, but if you plan on doing all that, just buy the race roller. There are alot of good motors for $200 out there.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by David Wall
Race Roll Chassis and shock towers Milled pieces
RTR chassis and Shock Towers Stamped aluminum
I guess this is where my misunderstanding stemmed from - why is milled aluminum better than stamped aluminum?

I saw them as both being aluminum so I couldn't rationalize why the race roller was so expensive in relation to the RTR given the components the RTR included over the roller.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
the rtr is the ticket if u have nothing or just a radio sys to bring to the table (i bought it and dumped the radio to lower my outlay to around 400). yes i changed the servos as a precaution more than anything.

buy it and enjoy it. why dont u come up to parkton this coming sunday and more importantly next sunday for some big 1/8 races. and u'll see

R
When you say Parkton, are you referring to Nuclear RC?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Visit the losi website
Old 07-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by token
Visit the losi website
Thanks for the thoughtful, well thought out, complete and useful response.

If you know of a link on Losi's website than please point it out. Otherwise, you can rest assured that I have looked there and come up somewhat empty handed.

The owners manual that comes with the RTR seems to be the same as what comes with the roller. It is very difficult looking through there to differentiate the various part numbers between RTR and roller.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

I'm surprised no one has never mentioned anything about the diffs

the rtr is running the old HD diffs from the old buggy, they aren't that big of a deal but the new diffs are a lot easier to work IMO
Old 07-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mlbracing
I'm surprised no one has never mentioned anything about the diffs

the rtr is running the old HD diffs from the old buggy, they aren't that big of a deal but the new diffs are a lot easier to work IMO
I am aware of only two types of diffs. Smart Diffs and regular diffs.

Does the race roller come with smart diffs or is there a 3rd type of diff?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Adept

HD diffs are a regular diff but are a little different looking and alittle smaller than the diffs in the 2.0 roller

I've seen the center HD diff in the 2.0 and there was about 2mm more play than with the 2.0 roller diffs

http://losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0084

look under the 3rd picture under the Features
Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Garet Jax
When you say Parkton, are you referring to Nuclear RC?
yes he is
Old 07-15-2009, 10:30 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

reg, hopefully w/that trug i'll stop seeing these results pages where you are leading up til around the 1st pitstop, then blank...

R
Old 07-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

and on the roller and rtr, all the knuckles and spindles and hubs are plastic.

i thought for sure that they would have the aluminum ones on the roller, but no.

so what is so special about the roller chassis. it says it has flex. and milled and stamped thing is wierd too.

whether the aluminum is stamped or milled from a block, it shouldnt matter, what does matter is the grade of aluminum, and thickness, and such.

aluminum shock caps...why would they skimp out on that for the rtr, its not like it costs that much and will not affect performance, that is only for strength and looks.

are the smart diffs anything special?? and they anodized the aluminum blue on the rtr, of course they say its to make it good looking, but why really??
so one can tell the difference in who has the rtr and who has the roller.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:13 AM
6th
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Garet Jax
I have found snippets in various threads but haven't found one thread to discuss this directly.

I am trying to compare Losi's 2.0 8ight RTR with its cousin the race roller.

I know the RTR comes with things that the race roller does not:
1) Radio and receiver - The DX3S is a very good radio and the telemetry receiver is also top notch. While there are better radios, the included one in the RTR package is probably good enough for most racers.
2) Servos - The servos are junk and should be replaced ASAP.
3) Engine - I have no idea how the 350 and 454 engines included in the RTR packages for buggy and truggy respectively compare to the various engines one might buy and put in the trucks. Are they right at the bottom - somewhere in the low end - middle range or something else entirely.

What I also don't know is what hop ups the race roller has that the RTR doesn't, how much these cost and whether or not they are even available for purchase separately.

Hopefully we can keep this generic for both the Buggy and Truggy versions. If not please be specific.

Thanks a lot.

And I thought you already knew the differences basing on what suggestions you have given to the user looking for a new buggy in this thread
w w w .rctech dot net/forum/6062709-post25.html
Old 07-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
reg, hopefully w/that trug i'll stop seeing these results pages where you are leading up til around the 1st pitstop, then blank...

R
lol mee too...so much bad luck in mt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.