Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Recommended setup/configuration tools for 1/8 scale buggy/truggy >

Recommended setup/configuration tools for 1/8 scale buggy/truggy

Recommended setup/configuration tools for 1/8 scale buggy/truggy

Old 07-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)
Default Recommended setup/configuration tools for 1/8 scale buggy/truggy

What setup/configuration tools (Hudy or otherwise) would you recommend 1/8 scale buggy/truggy racers should have?

Please list with part # or direct link (if possible) so they are easy to find and evaluate.

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

No one has an opinion?
Old 07-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have picked up several setup tools this season that have made a huge improvement to my driving.

Hudy droop support blocks and droop guage.

Hudy setup system and flat setup board.

Also, the blue Associated ride height guage.

This is all available at A-Main Hobbies.

Setup tools have made a HUGE difference for me.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:50 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

RH gauge, camber gauge, ur user manual w/the link lengths, and a good eyeball or 2. most all of what u need. rest is just stuff to make u think u look cool or know what ur doing back in the pits

R
Old 07-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
RH gauge, camber gauge, ur user manual w/the link lengths, and a good eyeball or 2. most all of what u need. rest is just stuff to make u think u look cool or know what ur doing back in the pits

R

Disagree.

Hudy setup station made a big difference and takes the guessing out completely. Also, nothing I could do or purchase would prevent me from looking awkward and confused in the pits.

Or anywhere in life, really.

Last edited by Semple; 07-14-2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Self-deprecation
Old 07-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

I dissagree also the pro's that say they can use a soda can & eye ball camber & toe really mean they can set it by feel on the track. Ultegrast I dont know how much time you have with 1/8 scale but you'll learn 1/8 rims deform like a mofo & stay bent on the hub so what look like -3deg or camber could be anwhere from -6 -+1 when you rotate the wheel 180 degrees. I depend on my setup station to set the car up the same or to what I want to change every time & do that at home on fri night & have learned very close to how many deg a 1/4 turn is & have a very close guess when changing at the track for changing conditions. I usually run full droop & with good arms dont need a droop guage but when your arns bow I pull my droop tools out because being exact with droop makes a huge difference & that AE ride height guage is one of my most used setup tools,just wish it had a longer arm.
A ball park guess is good enough if you want your car to handle in the same ball park next time you drive it. Unless or course your so good you can do it by feel & make a good guess what is causing your car to act funny but I aint that good & dont have the time to try a bunch of guesses when at the track I need to spend practice time practicing my driving & KNOW how much to change what.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:44 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by butch man
I dissagree also the pro's that say they can use a soda can & eye ball camber & toe really mean they can set it by feel on the track. Ultegrast I dont know how much time you have with 1/8 scale but you'll learn 1/8 rims deform like a mofo & stay bent on the hub so what look like -3deg or camber could be anwhere from -6 -+1 when you rotate the wheel 180 degrees. I depend on my setup station to set the car up the same or to what I want to change every time & do that at home on fri night & have learned very close to how many deg a 1/4 turn is & have a very close guess when changing at the track for changing conditions. I usually run full droop & with good arms dont need a droop guage but when your arns bow I pull my droop tools out because being exact with droop makes a huge difference & that AE ride height guage is one of my most used setup tools,just wish it had a longer arm.
A ball park guess is good enough if you want your car to handle in the same ball park next time you drive it. Unless or course your so good you can do it by feel & make a good guess what is causing your car to act funny but I aint that good & dont have the time to try a bunch of guesses when at the track I need to spend practice time practicing my driving & KNOW how much to change what.
+1

Hudy setup station.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

any decent setup station + flat board

losi camber gauge for quick adjustments
losi ride height gauge

digital calipers
Old 07-15-2009, 05:31 AM
Tech Elite

My opinion is that a set up station is over rated