R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Opinion on this Break In Procedure? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/311886-opinion-break-procedure.html)

sperera 07-13-2009 10:39 PM

Opinion on this Break In Procedure?

Hi Guys,

I got this info from a friend, please comment.

BREAK IN PROCEDURE
Some things to remember during break-in

1.Run with the body off.This will keep the engine cooler.

2.Keeo the air cleaner on at ALL times.

3.Run on a smooth,hard surface.An empty parking lot is perfect.

4.Use the same fuel that you will use for normal running.

5.Resist the urge to accelerate and decelerate quickly.

6.Break-in puts stress on the glow plug and can burn it out.Make sure you have an extra plug or two on hand.

7.Do NOT overheat the engine.

TANK 1

Your first tank of fuel should be running the car at a very rich needle valve setting.This allows the fuel to carry as much oil as possible into the engine to properly lubricate the internal parts during the break-in.

1.Open the high speed needle valve 4-1/2 turns from fully closed(counterclockwise).This is factouy set already,but check it to make sure.When closing the high-speed needle,close until youfeel some resistance.DO NOT overtighten or you will damage the engine.

2.Fill the fuel tank and start the engine.

3.Run the buggy on a smooth surface with the body off.

4.Run back and forth at medium speeds,slowly accelerating and decelerating the buggy.

5.Run the buggy until the tank is almost out of fuel.Do not allow the tank to run out of fuel during break-in.This leans out the engine and can cause overheating.

6.Stop the engine and allow it to cool.This noumally takes around 10-15 minutes.

NOTE:If your engine does not stay running consistently,increase the idle speed by turning the idle stop screw clockwise.

TANK 2

Lean the high-speed needle 1/12 turn from "tank 1" setting.Run the buggy for the complete tank and then let cool.

TANK 3

Lean the high-speed needle another 1/12 turn from "tank 2" setting.Run the buggy for the complete tank and then let cool.

TANK 4

Lean the high-speed needle another 1/12 turn from "tank 3" setting.Run the buggy for the complete tank and then let cool.You should notice the engine running much better at this point.

TANK 5

Lean the high-speed needle another 1/12 turn from "tank 4" setting.Run the buggy for the complete tank and then let cool.The engine is now ready to be perfoumanced tuned.

Important! At this point,the engine will likely be running at a faster idle speed than needed (This is typical after break-in).Adjust the idle stop screw to lower the idle speed so that the wheels do not ,or just barely,rotate when you lift the buggy off

imaxx21 07-13-2009 10:59 PM

not very good IMO

do a search for the "Bess Method"

sperera 07-13-2009 11:14 PM

Thank you. I will do a search on it now.

sperera 07-13-2009 11:17 PM

I have had a look at this and also read this in this forum but for a beginner like myself its not very specific.

For example the opening sentence says to run it in only slightly rich. For a beginner how do we determine what slightly rich is?

Frank L 07-14-2009 06:19 AM

The best break in method is at the top of this nitro off road section it's called THE BREAKIN BIBLE I have used this method on the last 5 engines and they have all run prefectly the longest before I got rid of it was 7 gallons and it was still running strong. Before I used this method I would blow them up at around 5 gallons.

token 07-14-2009 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 6065434)
The best break in method is at the top of this nitro off road section it's called THE BREAKIN BIBLE I have used this method on the last 5 engines and they have all run prefectly the longest before I got rid of it was 7 gallons and it was still running strong. Before I used this method I would blow them up at around 5 gallons.

If you are not sure - I would strongly reccoment the Break in Bible on this site. I have read no complaints on this method and it looks to be widley used by lost of guys on this forum.

My only suggestion is that you reach 200 degrees on each tank, that is my opinion

romax 07-14-2009 02:12 PM

Sounds like the breakin method used on a duratrax raze i started out w/ last year. Worked o.k. for that but i now use the break in bible method for the race engines i now run.

Gearhead racer 07-14-2009 03:03 PM

"The Breakin Bible"...:nod:

Originally Posted by token (Post 6065537)
If you are not sure - I would strongly reccoment the Break in Bible on this site. I have read no complaints on this method and it looks to be widley used by lost of guys on this forum.

My only suggestion is that you reach 200 degrees on each tank, that is my opinion

+1

Akhor 07-14-2009 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Frank L (Post 6065434)

+2

sperera 07-14-2009 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the info.

I have had a good read over Bess Method and the Break In Bible. Im just a little uncertain what a little rich is. Would the factory setting be considered a little rich? 4.5 turns from all the way in?

Also is the only way to ensure that engine has reached 200 degrees with a temp guage/reader or is there another way, eg. put a drop of water on heat sinks and if it sizzles its over 200?

Gearhead racer 07-14-2009 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by sperera (Post 6068519)
Thanks for all the info.

I have had a good read over Bess Method and the Break In Bible. Im just a little uncertain what a little rich is. Would the factory setting be considered a little rich? 4.5 turns from all the way in?

Also is the only way to ensure that engine has reached 200 degrees with a temp guage/reader or is there another way, eg. put a drop of water on heat sinks and if it sizzles its over 200?

If you factory setting is 4.5 then it would probably say from closed. Some companies will give you a breakin setting and after breakin setting. Most factory settings are pretty rich. Set it at your factory settings start the motor up run it around check the temp to make sure its at 200 or slightly over. If it's not, lean your high speed out by 1/8 turns until it gets up to 200.
It think if the water boils it will be around 200 and sizzle when in the upper 200s.

Tyler

sperera 07-14-2009 07:38 PM

Thanks for that, that gives me something to work with. I should be able to start running it in on the weekend.

Gearhead racer 07-14-2009 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by sperera (Post 6068686)
Thanks for that, that gives me something to work with. I should be able to start running it in on the weekend.

Make sure you run your car/ truck for about 1 mintue , that will allow the motor to heat up before you temp it. Most factory settings on new motor ive found run about 170-190

Tyler

sperera 07-14-2009 08:10 PM

What I will look to do is put a drop, if it sizzles I know im running it too hot and try to get it to a stage where there is a small amount of steam and more of a boil than a sizzle, that way I should be around the 200 mark.

Cant wait to get this thing going.

savage.25 07-14-2009 09:05 PM

your first tank should be sitting there idling.. put it on a stand or something so the wheels can turn freely.