Wiki Posts
Search

wut buggies r good for racing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:15 AM
Tech Regular

Car A from brand A
Car B from brand B

If you are looking to be competetive then any of the mainstream companies, have something for you:

Losi 8ight 2.0
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR
AE RC8B
AE RC8 RS RTR
Mugen MBX6
Kyosho MP9
Odonnel Z01-B
Ofna Hyper 9
Tamiya TRF801X
XRAY808B
Hot Bodies D8
Caster

and any I missed. Honestly, no one buggy is better then the other. Each has thier positives and negatives and some may feel better with your particular driving style then others. In some cases you get what you pay for, in others, you get more then you pay for. Everyone will tell you that they like or think that Brand A is better then Brand B. Every kit has those that think they break everytime they case a jump, and others have hit trees and driven away fine with the same car. RTRs are easy to get into the sport, and if your track doesn't have a high competetion skill level then they will work great and you will be competetive. If you buy an RTR and plan on upgrading it to "Pro Kit" level or equiv. you will spend usually more then the "Pro Kit" with needed parts is to begin with.

A great driver can win with any car of equal quality...
Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+ 1
good info above! Try some friends cars at the track and see what you like.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:45 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Only a Losi will do...
Old 07-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stirex
Car A from brand A
Car B from brand B

If you are looking to be competetive then any of the mainstream companies, have something for you:

Losi 8ight 2.0
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR
AE RC8B
AE RC8 RS RTR
Mugen MBX6
Kyosho MP9
Odonnel Z01-B
Ofna Hyper 9
Tamiya TRF801X
XRAY808B
Hot Bodies D8
Caster

and any I missed. Honestly, no one buggy is better then the other. Each has thier positives and negatives and some may feel better with your particular driving style then others. In some cases you get what you pay for, in others, you get more then you pay for. Everyone will tell you that they like or think that Brand A is better then Brand B. Every kit has those that think they break everytime they case a jump, and others have hit trees and driven away fine with the same car. RTRs are easy to get into the sport, and if your track doesn't have a high competetion skill level then they will work great and you will be competetive. If you buy an RTR and plan on upgrading it to "Pro Kit" level or equiv. you will spend usually more then the "Pro Kit" with needed parts is to begin with.

A great driver can win with any car of equal quality...
That's my point, but look at your list of cars. How many of those cars come in a RTR that is based on the company's current kit/pro buggy platform. I only see 2. That being Losi and AE. When you factor in the race legal .21 engine, the spektrum dx3s and the starter box that is all included with the losi, you can see why I feel how I do. If you go the pro route, you will spend more at first. Doesn't seem like mattsemonski would be into that to me.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
That's my point, but look at your list of cars. How many of those cars come in a RTR that is based on the company's current kit/pro buggy platform. I only see 2. That being Losi and AE. When you factor in the race legal .21 engine, the spektrum dx3s and the starter box that is all included with the losi, you can see why I feel how I do. If you go the pro route, you will spend more at first. Doesn't seem like mattsemonski would be into that to me.

Can you clarify sentence 2? Just trying to verify what you are saying.

I know Caster has a rtr that is the same as the pro kit, but the aluminum parts are different. It comes with a go .21 motor. They also offer a pro kit with the high end grenade motor and pipe as a package deal. You would need a radio and servo which would lead someone to be able to choose anything from a traxxas rtr to a 2.4 ghz M11 system....

I don't think TQ has a rtr.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I agree 100%, any of the buggies on this list will get you podiums with practice patience and time:

Losi 8ight 2.0
Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR
AE RC8B
AE RC8 RS RTR
Mugen MBX6
Kyosho MP9
Odonnel Z01-B
Ofna Hyper 9
Tamiya TRF801X
XRAY808B
Hot Bodies D8
Caster
Old 07-14-2009, 03:13 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

just find somethin thats built like a tank, easy on the wallet, has parts support and allows you to have fun. honestly for 625 or so online, that losi with its far superior outfit of gear has every1 crushed in the RTR market. yeh so ofna's and kyos and AEs are in the mid 400s-500. u 'might' get an fm radio (vs a DSM radio with telemetry), many times u will not get a .21 motor-some do and not very well i must say. that and no starter box, so have fun w/ur pull cords or drills (i hate 1way bearings, whether in a front diff or on a motor). not to mention you can win with the 2.0RTR. and any1 who says u cant is full of somethin other than beans. similar color (especially if they have an impacted colon).

have fun, its never cheap

R
Old 07-14-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by hakmazter
Can you clarify sentence 2? Just trying to verify what you are saying.

I know Caster has a rtr that is the same as the pro kit, but the aluminum parts are different. It comes with a go .21 motor. They also offer a pro kit with the high end grenade motor and pipe as a package deal. You would need a radio and servo which would lead someone to be able to choose anything from a traxxas rtr to a 2.4 ghz M11 system....

I don't think TQ has a rtr.
I didn't know Caster had a RTR based on the latest buggy. The zx1.5r has an RTR version? I was not aware of this. If that is the case, it would fit in wth the losi and AE. What would the price of this RTR be?

The point is to be able to upgrade to kit specs as needed. If the RTR isn't based on the current buggy platform, this is not possible. That's my point.

I agree with the other guys that any of those buggies can win, but how many of them have a current RTR, or any RTR to begin with.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Tech Lord

While I will surely agree that the 2.0 is far and away the best RTR on the market..The fact that it comes with a slab of metal for a chassis instead of the milled, thin, more flexible Roller version..would not constitute it being the same platform as the kit version..There is no such thing as a RTR from any company that even comes close to the race (kit/Roller) version they cheep out in so many areas and thats why I really dont believe any RTR even the Losi can be compared to any of the Kit versions////That being said, I believe that over time if you replace the week/cheep parts with the better racing counterparts it will end up costing a whole lot more in the long run. All my blabbing and I still believe for a beginner who wants to go from box to track and see what the whole scene is like you cant go wrong with the Losi 2.0 RTR..Pullstarts suck!!! as do crappy radio's..Most newbies dont realize how important it is to be able to tweek your car with your radio, and that alone is worth the extra $150 for the Losi
Old 07-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jaz240
While I will surely agree that the 2.0 is far and away the best RTR on the market..The fact that it comes with a slab of metal for a chassis instead of the milled, thin, more flexible Roller version..would not constitute it being the same platform as the kit version..There is no such thing as a RTR from any company that even comes close to the race (kit/Roller) version they cheep out in so many areas and thats why I really dont believe any RTR even the Losi can be compared to any of the Kit versions////That being said, I believe that over time if you replace the week/cheep parts with the better racing counterparts it will end up costing a whole lot more in the long run. All my blabbing and I still believe for a beginner who wants to go from box to track and see what the whole scene is like you cant go wrong with the Losi 2.0 RTR..Pullstarts suck!!! as do crappy radio's..Most newbies dont realize how important it is to be able to tweek your car with your radio, and that alone is worth the extra $150 for the Losi
My point exactly!

While you are correct about it costing far more in the end to upgrade everything to pro parts, you can pick and choose what you want to replace. You can also only replace parts as they wear out. The RTR in stock form is perfectly capable for a beginner racer.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:31 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

i dumped the radio on ebay for 225, sold in 9minutes. i didnt need it. so already my 625 was down to 400 b/c of the radios i have already.

R
Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A junk dsm radio and a ready to run engine only starter box are nothing to right home about for $650. Sorry losi-ites. I tyre of hearing "just get a losi every other post in every thread. Sorry its not that good. Do yourself a favor and get anything other then a losi just to puss them off lol.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by dandrat
A junk dsm radio and a ready to run engine only starter box are nothing to right home about for $650. Sorry losi-ites. I tyre of hearing "just get a losi every other post in every thread. Sorry its not that good. Do yourself a favor and get anything other then a losi just to puss them off lol.
Ok what do you reccomend? Something with a junk AM radio, Pull starter, and .26+ sized illegal engine??? Have fun with that one.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Tech Elite

The Caster RTR is currently going through changes. There are 3 at Caster USA. They have the fusion body and a 1.5 version rear tower and a fm transmitter, go 3 port .21 motor that can be bumped with a box or pull started.

We ran out and needed some emergency ones for a specific hobby store and got some hybrids. However, next batch will have 2.4, new body, new towers ,etc....

I know that they need to go away....summer sale pricing....

http://casterracingusa.com/product.p...3&cat=1&page=1
Old 07-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by dandrat
I am as anti-losi as they come..but as far as RTR there is the 2.0 and there is everything else. I would never recommend any other RTR to an Newbie looking for their first buggy. It is just head and shoulders above the rest..I am thinking its just a matter of time until the other companies have no choice but to step up their package or get out of the RTR field altogether.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.