R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   What's the average wear for a front drive shaft pin? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/311685-whats-average-wear-front-drive-shaft-pin.html)

Akhor 07-13-2009 10:09 AM

What's the average wear for a front drive shaft pin?

I've just installed a new drive shaft before this weekends club race. After just less then an hour of racing (including qualies) it seems like the pin is already fairly flat. The outdive cup does not appear to be worn..

How much drive time should you get on a pin? Is there anything that can be done to extend the life of them?

jpalessi 07-13-2009 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Akhor (Post 6061029)
I've just installed a new drive shaft before this weekends club race. After just less then an hour of racing (including qualies) it seems like the pin is already fairly flat. The outdive cup does not appear to be worn..

How much drive time should you get on a pin? Is there anything that can be done to extend the life of them?

Buy a pin press and replace them often. I replace the centers about every 2 weeks.

Mo Denton 07-13-2009 10:16 AM

and use the Hudy pins they last longer

8&stuff 07-13-2009 01:12 PM

link to press and pins that work? thanks

Jaz240 07-13-2009 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by 8&stuff (Post 6061746)
link to press and pins that work? thanks

Link to the vehicle you drive first:lol:

Akhor 07-13-2009 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by jpalessi (Post 6061042)
Buy a pin press and replace them often. I replace the centers about every 2 weeks.

How often are you replacing the outers?

Jaz240 07-13-2009 02:27 PM

Akhor, also check your outdrive cups, they will wear out also, and when they do, they will severely accelerate the life span of the pins

dsl 07-13-2009 02:51 PM

What's a good quality tool for this without breaking the bank?

What are all the replacement pin part #'s for a losi 8T 2.0?

Thanks!

8&stuff 07-20-2009 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by dsl (Post 6062165)
What's a good quality tool for this without breaking the bank?

What are all the replacement pin part #'s for a losi 8T 2.0?

Thanks!

x2??

Akhor 07-20-2009 03:12 PM

Seems to me that the hudy pin press is the only thing worth while to do this job.

There are other options, but they have been given reviews of them breaking upon first use.

Unfortunately, like everything Hudy, they are expensive.

8&stuff 07-20-2009 04:20 PM

while racing at crcrc this winter i heard some guys using somthing from lows or menards. somthing that was only like $15. every pin that flattens on me i always change with whole new cvd. looking to practice truggy with a .28 soon and dont want to yet without a pin changing option.

dreaux 07-20-2009 04:38 PM

the ones on my mugen have about 5 gallons on them. Striaght as a arrow. With zero wear.

Integra 07-20-2009 05:05 PM

Chain breaker's are a cheaper alternative to the Hudy tool....and i would love to see a part # and link for some Hudy pins....ive used Mugen for the last couple year's with good result's but knowing hudy and their spring steel it might be worth a shot.

butch man 07-20-2009 05:57 PM

I change the pins in my X-ray usually around the 4 gal mark,a little sooner in my mugens 5R & 5T & havent driven my losi's in a long time & they were the old models too but about every 3 gal or when the pins in the CV end would shoot out. I dont think theres much difference in the mugen & Hudy pin wear rate though the X-ray drive line is on much more of an angle than the old mugen so maybe the pins do last longer & the angle brings it back to normal. I dont think the x-ray angle is as severe as my losi & I aint going into my 130 deg garage to look but you wont know till you try.Hudy pins part# is 106050 but like I said I dont think they'll be much better than the mugens,I think they keep them kind of soft on the theory that a purposely soft pin is cheaper to replace than out drives as my out drives have very little wear after 17 or so gallons. I have used cam chain breaker,bone saver & hudy tool & like the fact I could do the pins in the car with the chain breaker but its bulky & a pain to swap addapters,bone saver was fairly good for the price but also kind of a painto use but by far the Hudy tool makes life much easier like 15-20 seconds per pin but bones have to be out of the car so they all get done the same time the front center is wether they need it or not.I got lucky & have a friend that lets me borrow his hudy tool any time I ask.Hudy tool part # is 106000.

8&stuff 07-20-2009 06:49 PM

chain breakers sounds right. you got cars butch man!