R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
i dont mind a kit car, i was looking to keep the bulk of my purchase around $1000.

going off some of the advice here, i *think* if i went with the rtr losi 8, a new steering servo, shock towers, and some random other workbench accessories, the total was about 850$, leaving me some room for things like fuel and anything else i might need to pick up.

as far as a kit car goes, im fine building one and getting it allset up, my only concern was making the right choices for the power
I think ANY buggy you get whether Losi or Mugen ect will be hard to handle for a first time off road driver.

If you have the money to do - the 2.0 race roller would be good, because you get what you want the first time. But for my choices of what to put in the buggy - servos - radio - engine/pipe, it will come to alot more than a grand - so I would stick with the RTR
Old 07-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #17
6th
Tech Initiate

Regardless on which car you decide to purchase, get a kit. The TFT chassis on the 8ight 2.0 roller alone is $90. Add that along with AL shock caps, springs, decent throttle and steering servos, starter box, additional clutch shoes ( RTR only comes with 2), Good radio, where the roller arm doesn't break. (if you decide to stick with the DX3S, if you buy the radio seperate at least you'll get an extra receiver )
6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #18
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)

I have a used 1.0 roler for sale $200 shipped.....

☆TLR 22B 3.0 MM ☆ 22T 2.0 MM ☆22B 2.0 MM ☆22-4 ☆ SCTE 2.0☆ ☆
XXXDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

losi is so much easier to stock parts for self or buy. buy what lhs has. and if was my 1st car id go truggy(i did) much easier to drive beginning, youll thank youself later
Old 07-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #20
Tech Master

if you get rtr losi move the stock sterering servo onto throttle and buy a hitec 7955 or jr z9100t. you will be good for a couple gallons
Old 07-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolution View Post
i dont mind a kit car, i was looking to keep the bulk of my purchase around $1000.

going off some of the advice here, i *think* if i went with the rtr losi 8, a new steering servo, shock towers, and some random other workbench accessories, the total was about 850$, leaving me some room for things like fuel and anything else i might need to pick up.

as far as a kit car goes, im fine building one and getting it allset up, my only concern was making the right choices for the power

He only wants to spend a grand I believe - the RTR is perfect for a beginner
Old 07-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'll have to say LOSI 2.0 is the easy way..

BUT

I fell in love with Odonnell buggy, I bought NIB Team kit z01B then I liked it so much I got 2 more 1st Gen Z01B for less than 200 shipped each..

I like the 1st Gen as much as the 2nd gen. You don't need any upgrade for it. It's rock solid, durable and stable AS IS.. no need to buy King Heads parts or hopups..

Throw in hitec 7955 X2 for servos - $220
Vspec or Odonnel .21 motor - $250 (less with coupons)
and 3PM or 3PK.

frankly RTR is always need upgrading.. if you're getting back in to RC you know RTR parts are made with lesser grade plastic and aluminum.
devilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Unless your just bashing I suggest a kit over the RTR. I recommend the Losi 2.0 or the SH engines ZMXB-8 (Z-car). I think you'll find 8th scale buggy much easier to drive than 10th scale 2wd electric.
drdsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdsanders View Post
Unless your just bashing I suggest a kit over the RTR. I recommend the Losi 2.0 or the SH engines ZMXB-8 (Z-car). I think you'll find 8th scale buggy much easier to drive than 10th scale 2wd electric.

It's true, a 4wd is easier to drive the a 2wd!
www.rcgears.net, www.carcar.ca, www.karz.ca
Akhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

I just went through this entire exercise and ended up buying the Losi 2.0 RTR 8ight buggy.

I would say a few things:

1) Do not buy the 1.0 8ight - there are enough changes where you should buy 2.0.
2) For your budget, the RTR is the only way to go. The roller is going to run at least $470 more likely $515 or so. Plus you still have to buy the servos + the radio + the engine. These aree easily the most expensive components of the car. The two servos will probably run ~$150 together (if you buy used or chince out on the throttle). The radio is probably $200+ (especially to get the same quality or better as the RTR). The engine is at least $150 and can be as much as $500+ depending on what you get. At this point, you still don't have the starter box.
3) You will need to get hex wrenches. Some people say standard some say metric - I say both. I first bought metric (1.5mm - 3.5mm) in .5 increments. Cost me ~$25 shipped. But there were a few hex heads I couldn't fit. Lucky for me I had a set of hex wrench bits that allowed me to continie until I got the standard set (4 wrenches for ~$25).
4) You will need a charger capable of charging batteries from #5 and the receiver battery included in the RTR. I paid $30 shipped for mine.
5) You will need at least 2 7.2V 3600MaH batteries to power the starter (I paid ~$40 shipped for both together).
6) You will need a glow plug ignitor (I paid $20 shipped for mine).
7) You will need fuel and a fuel bottle (I paid ~$40 shipped for both).

These are all the things you will need. So you will easily get in below $1000.

Once you start to run, you will need replacement parts. I can't help you there since I haven't run long enough to actually break anything yet.

There are a number of hopups available. I bought a few, but at this point, the only ones I recommend are the following (not because I don't recommend anything else, more because this is all I know so far):
1) The two servos (I bough two Hitecs 7955 and 7965). Heard great things about thier customer service and thier products)
2) Aluminum hitec servo arm (LOSA99033):
From Amain
3) Aluminum servo saver arm (LOSA4443)
From Amain
4) Upping your stock clutch from 2 shoes to 4.
5) Racing rear skid plates:
From Amain
6) Racing bump skid
From Amain
7) Quick change motor mount (LOSA9155)
From Amain

I would also recommend you read the 8ight 2.0 thread (there is one for the truggy and one for the buggy).
Buggy
Truggy

Hope this helps.
Garet Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #26
Tech Master

thats a nice outline Garet. is that exact stuff you bought? and would you do differently?
Old 07-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer43 View Post
losi 8ight 2.0 rtr is the best starter package available. It comes with a 21 engine, bump box, and a good dsm radio. Like was mentioned already you will have to upgrade servos or you can move the one on steering to throttle and just buy a better steering servo for now. Hitech, Jr, Futaba are all great selections as far as servos. I wouldnt buy any other rtr even if I had to wait a little longer to save the money.
while i do think the losi rtr package is good, I dont know if its as good as it appears. I recently drove someones car with the spektrim remote that comes with the losi rtr and it fells like absolute junk. I think the feel of a remote is more important then a bunch of extra features Im probably barley going to use. a $160 airtronics mx3 dsm seams a better choice to me feel wise. as for the starter box, im sure its fine for the ready to run engine but once you upgrade to something better that box probably isnt going to turn your new engine. most midgrade boxes have hard times turning werks/rb's, and trying to make it turn them sucks . you would probably end up upgrading that with the engine. this ready to run is $700. you can get a rc8 rtr for $460. you could buy the airtronics mx3 dsm and an ofna truggy box with the rc8 ( or other rtr)for about the same price as the losi. Im not trying to start a losi vs. ae flamewar, Im just using the rc8 rtr as a point of comparison. it just seems to me you can put your own package together with any other manufacturers rtr given how expensive the losi package is.
dandrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrat View Post
while i do think the losi rtr package is good, I dont know if its as good as it appears. I recently drove someones car with the spektrim remote that comes with the losi rtr and it fells like absolute junk. I think the feel of a remote is more important then a bunch of extra features Im probably barley going to use. a $160 airtronics mx3 dsm seams a better choice to me feel wise. as for the starter box, im sure its fine for the ready to run engine but once you upgrade to something better that box probably isnt going to turn your new engine. most midgrade boxes have hard times turning werks/rb's, and trying to make it turn them sucks . you would probably end up upgrading that with the engine. this ready to run is $700. you can get a rc8 rtr for $460. you could buy the airtronics mx3 dsm and an ofna truggy box with the rc8 ( or other rtr)for about the same price as the losi. Im not trying to start a losi vs. ae flamewar, Im just using the rc8 rtr as a point of comparison. it just seems to me you can put your own package together with any other manufacturers rtr given how expensive the losi package is.

This is definitely another option to do. IMO the RC8 is not designed to take the beating that a beginner usually puts on a vehicle. Personally I started out in the same boat with absolutely nothing to even begin with and went with the Losi 8T RTR. It at least gives you the meat and potatoes of what you need to get started. An RTR will need to be upgraded eventually, but as a beginner, you will not really notice the difference. And what I did is when something broke, I just upgraded it until it was a roller. It was easier on the pockets. Now that I have some experience under my belt and I switched to a roller and can definitely see a difference, but never would have noticed in the beginning. Buggy is a hard class to start out with, but if you drove 2wd electric, you should pick it up pretty quick. Either way you go, you will not be bad off. Just make sure that you pick up an RTR that has a Race roller kit. I have seen many other RTRs and they are definitely not worth it. Either way, roller or RTR, you can't go wrong. Just be patient. You are going to have problems with nitro. That is just the way it is. The more you learn, the easier it will go. Good luck.
Revooooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to DiaRh34

8ight 2.0 rtr was my first gas car.I've built alot of electric ones though.I love it so far.On the servo note though I did get an Ace 1313 and move the stock steering to the throttle.Also got a 4 shoe clutch setup.Thats all I've done to it so far.
DiaRh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8&stuff View Post
thats a nice outline Garet. is that exact stuff you bought? and would you do differently?
Yup - that is exactly what I bought. I haven't run it enough to answer whether or not I would do anything differently.

Let me run it in a couple of races and see what I think then I can answer.
Garet Jax is offline   Reply With Quote