R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   junior/S3 vs N21BF (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/311569-junior-s3-vs-n21bf.html)

omarwashington 07-12-2009 09:42 PM

junior/S3 vs N21BF

Soon I will be in the market for a new engine and am looking at these 3 port engines. If anyone has any experience with these two I'd like to hear how these compaire to each other or if there is another 3 port that is better than these.

houston 07-12-2009 09:56 PM

not just being biased toward novarossi products but the n21bflimited is a serious engine for around 150$ :nod:

8&stuff 07-12-2009 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by omarwashington (Post 6058854)
Soon I will be in the market for a new engine and am looking at these 3 port engines. If anyone has any experience with these two I'd like to hear how these compaire to each other or if there is another 3 port that is better than these.

Iv had an s3&bf limited and would buy the bf before the rb only for the reason you can save about $50. just cause its ultra cheap dont mean anything. both are very similar in so many ways. do you want black or orange. $150or200

roadracer43 07-13-2009 07:11 AM

I run the nova n21bf limited edition in my 8ight 2.0. I will highly recommend this engine to anyone. Its pretty strong for a 3 port at $150. I was running the odonnel #99 but switched to the #100 plug and I do like it best.

reggie l. 07-13-2009 07:25 AM

nova bf is the sh!t for 150...hall spend another 50 and get it modded and you will have a serious screamer for around 200

8&stuff 07-13-2009 08:55 AM

Talk to houston about a race tuned bf. great price with great support. you really cant ask for more.

omarwashington 07-13-2009 09:50 AM

ya I have an extra piston/sleeve and conrod from an old S3 with less than 4 gallons on it which i can use on the junior if i ever get it. But the price of the BF looks really good.

8&stuff 07-13-2009 10:05 AM

i can definately see how that could effect your choice. it does seem like everytime i keep spare engine parts around i never use them. but when that one time happens im sure i'll wish i had them

JUD 07-13-2009 05:55 PM

I have an old msc s3 that still kicks ass!!:tire::tire: I ran this engine last year and the tune was off. It climbed to over 400 degrees and it was still running!!:eek::eek: And it still has compression!!:nod: I also had the Novarossi BF 2001 HOT MODS. It was a monster. Just buy both for under 400 bucks:lol::lol: There both great engines.

omarwashington 07-20-2009 12:49 PM

Junior/S3
crank case 209$
Piston/Sleeve/Connecting Rod 189$

are these guys on crack?
For that price your better off the same engine.

casevac 07-20-2009 03:07 PM

Han an old S3 - seriously, I had to kill it - it just would not die.
I put it in an old MBX4 without wheels and reved it while leaning it.
Coling head went gray, and the receiver box melted eventualy it stopped - due to lean mix.
5 minutes after stopping my tempgun still said HIGH.
Out of curiosity I wanted to try it again, the glowplug melted, so I got it a new one. Started and ideled like nothing ever happened......

I was sick and tired of that engine, and it was on its ninth gallon so... I threw it away.
Werent able to take of the clutch either, stuck.

I havent tried the N21 yet, but the S3 is hard to beat, in regards of toughness

omarwashington 07-20-2009 03:40 PM

The S3 was my first nitro engine. I think I will get another one.

j_blaze14 07-20-2009 04:34 PM

i've had both, the s3 is indistructable. sold it with 3 gallons and it is still running on the other side of the world. had the t21bf, it was pretty good for 2 gallons, i sold it and it did not last another gallon after that, firs the crank snapped then the sleeve cracked. then i got a go 3port used with a gallon on it, ran it another 5 gallons (case cracked then sleeve cracked inside a wrong case, bad idea) and it easily had superior performance to the other 2 (my tuning and driving had improved greatley at the time also). i would get the rb knowing the go 3port's would probably be faster than me but the rb will still be in my box next year.

supralative 07-20-2009 04:36 PM

I just picked up a Novarossi Limited 21 BF. Gonna take it apart and double check it all this weekend. Clean it up abit if needed and finish breaking it in. I was told maybe 3/4 of gal on it so better safe than sorry to add some heat cycles to it. I think any Novarossi or RB motors are 95% good. I got one S5 back then when the carb design was changed abit and it gave me all kinds of fits. I ended up selling it with my 777 back as a complete package. Had less than 3/4 gal on it but it just wouldnt act right. I have since used another S5 and it was fine, a WS7 that screamed, a Trinity Extech .21 that snapped the crank in two with less than a gal and half on it a Sirio CL7B Sti that snapped the crank also with around the same mileage. I am getting two replacement crankshafts here soon I hope...at least that is what I was told.
The Novarossi is gonna be the back up for the buggy as I have faith in it more than the Trinity and Sirio line.

omarwashington 07-22-2009 11:20 AM

Looks like the 21BF is popular by far than the junior. Lots of good reviews on the BF.