Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
I need your inputs on 1/8 scale vs the rest... >

I need your inputs on 1/8 scale vs the rest...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I need your inputs on 1/8 scale vs the rest...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Default I need your inputs on 1/8 scale vs the rest...

Hi guys,

As you may know, I run the site MyRCBox.com and I want to write a special article concerning the impact of the 1/8 scale vs the RC industry.
I need to receive the more informations as I can.

The question is simple, Has the 1/8 vehicles killed the RC industry?

So far my opinion is yes and no...

Yes because many race tracks (depending of where the track is on the globe) stopped the stadiums trucks and the 2wd buggy classes dur to a lack of popularity.

And No because the popularity of the 1/8 scale vehicles attracts newcomers and more people are now into the hobby.

Thanks

Last edited by Sylvain; 07-12-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I dont think so. I started out with 1/10 scale electric and ended up running the nitro big boys. It didnt run me off !!
Old 07-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I don't see how one scale could kill a hobby... people were free to buy and race whatever they want, but 1/8 became extremely popular (and for good reasons) and became the majority.

If majority goes back to 1/10 or stadium trucks, then that is what the tracks will race

supply and demand.. the demand right now is 1/8, so that is what is being supplied. nothing is dead, just not popular.. the peoples have made up their mind
Old 07-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1/8th scale is the pinnacle of performance in rc.its the best mix of power and handling. rc has just become more centralized to the best performance. 1/10th scale was the standard, and now the standard has changed. nothing more, nothing less.
I would say it has helped bring people into rc because the cars are far more impressive in actipon then in generations past. even to the unknowing bigger is better.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would say that 1/8th scale didn't kill the rc industry, but it evolved it. Not one type of RC could kill an industry.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

In the 90's, if you wanted to race 1/8th scale you had to fork over alot of money to run in the class. The cars were expensive, then they still needed hopups to make them reliable or faster. By the time you were done, you'd spend over 1k just on the car. Now, anyone can run 1/8 scale and it's become alot cheaper and reliable for racers to enjoy. Alot of guys start out with the larger class now, but after a while some will trickle down to the smaller electric classes as well to change things up. I think the manufacturers have alot to do with the demise of the 1/10th scale electric classes. When was the last time a "new" race inspired buggy or truck came out from losi or associated? While not being a big fan of having a new vehicle every year, it's been a while since they truely changed things up. Also, costs and technology are factors too. Technology has not been as kind to electrics as it has to the nitro aspect of the hobby. With brushless systems and lipos, manufacturers really need to make a push to get more people running new technology. It will allow for longer run times and less overall costs while increasing the amount of fun people will have. You will no longer have only about 5-6 minutes of run time per pack and then have to charge for around a hour. With lipos and brushless, you get insane amount of run time, reliablity, and cost effectiveness that could lure more people into the hobby.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Well, right now, 1/8th scale pretty much is the RC racing industry. I think you could say that 1/8th scale has marginalized the rest of the RC industry.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Here in Fla, 1/8 buggy is the largest class in racing.Truggys are next, we still have a 1/10 gas truck class, although numbers are dindling. We also have a monster truck class but it's going the same route as gas truck.
At club races we run any electrics with the gas truck and monster trucks. If numbers permit, we will run a SC class as well.
1/8 scale hasn't killed the rc industry.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Master

I think that racer's attitudes (towards newbe's) can kill the hobby faster than a 1/8th scale race car.

jmo
Old 07-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

I've been racing Rc cars for the past 18 years, the first 14 years were a struggle because the mortality rate for local tracks was extremely high. the whole time I raced electric we had 4-5 local tracks surface and go under at various times. 4 years ago our local Hobby town Built the "Hobby Plex", host of the (Roar Electric Onroad Nats) and just recently the (Roar Electric Offroad Nats).
The surge of 1/8 BUGGY was so INCREDIBLE, it was hard to deny that this wasn't the way to go! I slowly sold my electric equipment as I got better at 1/8th nitro. The reason I switched was because the turnout for a regular sunday race went from 15-20 guys in electric to 50 + in nitro. Now classes are packed and the competition is thicker than ever, and when you race fast guys on a regular basis you begin to become faster aswell.
It's possible to say that 1/8th nitro killed electric, but I have noticed that Nitro brings in spectators because of the noise, but those spectators often times walk into the hobby store and come out with a brand new electric vehicle. That's because when I worked at the hobby store, I always pointed newbies towards electric cars. I told them that once they've mastered that, then give nitro a try. So in a way It's kind of like a parasitic relationship, one type of racing feeds the other. I've also seen people get fed up with Nitro and instead of quiting, they went back to electric!
Right now our track is lucky because we have a good turnout in both electric and Nitro, but the electric 1/8th class is starting to surge, especially for the people who like 1/8th but hate nitro engines. It's the Hybrid theory, it's possible they may take over??
Old 07-12-2009, 06:23 PM
Tech Adept

Im acctualy new to the 1/8 scale and I was atractted to it by alot of verity of parts and different setups that you can go with. To me the 1/8 scale is versital for the backyard basher or the track either way you go you can have hours of fun. Ive had a blast building mine and searching and Ive found alot of the folks that are into it is actualy very helpful. The prices are realy not that bad on the wallet so just about anyone can realy get into it depending on what your looking for as far as backyard or track.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Around here we have the problem with trying to please both 1/8 and 1/10 classes. If you build a track for 1/8 buggies,truggies,etc..the track tends not to be 1/10 friendly. If you build a track for 1/10 vehicles, they generally are not exciting enough for the 1/8 guys. No big air, triples,etc.. So, we have some tracks that are 1/10 tracks that also run 1/8 and then we have the 1/8 tracks that generally don't get any 1/10 vehicles. Most like the thrill of the big air and the all that comes with 1/8 racing, and most new tracks popping up around here are suited for 1/8 cars. So in that respect it is kind of hurting the 1/10 class in my opinion. I have both, but I can't remember the last time I raced my 1/10 truck.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

As long as it brings in more people than it chases away, I'm good! I even like to chat it up with spectators sometimes when they stop by to watch, I can tell they think it's super cool by the wide eyed look on their face. I often feel like a drug dealer trying to entice people with the thrill of Rc racing.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
As long as it brings in more people than it chases away, I'm good! I even like to chat it up with spectators sometimes when they stop by to watch, I can tell they think it's super cool by the wide eyed look on their face. I often feel like a drug dealer trying to entice people with the thrill of Rc racing.

I know how you feel, I LOVE r/c racing, and it is a great feeling to introduce someone into our hobby!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

only a few years ago it was buggy, monster truck and gas truck. everybody wheels a truggy for the 1st time and they gotta have one. so gas truck is lost and now just buggy and truggy. there are still some killer mt's around but its fading. it takes skill to wheel a gas truck. anybody can wheel a truggy after a few weeks of driving one. the wider the car the easier it is. who wants to wreck? nobody, so go get a 1/8 truggy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.