Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

1/8 stadium truck is easy thats why
Old 07-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I think 1/8 marginalized the 1/10 classes since 1/8 is generally just more exciting. The 1/8 cars are bigger, faster, and significantly more durable. The super cross style tracks also up the excitement. The nitro noise also adds a sense of realism as well.

Unfortunately after marginalizing the 1/10 classes, the nitro noise is also what probably is killing the hobby too. The noise attracts spectators, but also causes too many problems with where permanent tracks can be located. Instead of having tracks in populated areas where we can attract newbies/spectators, now most tracks are located out in the middle of west bumblestank.

1/8 Electric will probably help the hobby grow as it attracts people who want the low maintenance of electric, but the durability and scale of 1/8 nitro. Hopefully, if it grows big enough, we will start seeing larger electric indoor tracks and 1/8 electric tracks where people actually live as opposed to cornfields.

I think 1/10 is going to be marginalized even more now and will probably just wind up being a winter class raced indoors.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

More people have RC cars now than ever before. RC Cars, as a hobby, is more popular than its been. The sales are way up over the last 10-20 years.

The problem is that despite vast improvements in performance and reliabiltiy (not to mention lower costs) less people are using them competitively.

I find it intersting that even though 1/8 truggies can be bashed and raced equally well, they havent reversed the trend that fewer and fewer people are choosing to race.

Its getting tough to find tracks that routinely get over 25 entries for a club race these days. At least where I'm at.

I have my suspicions why, but the last people I would blame are the ones still making the committment and still doing it.

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

RC racing is a very very expensive hobby.

$50 bucks for a set of tires that last a handful of races. Constant purchase of spare parts etc. It is nothing for me to spend $200/month just keep my cars running and in tip top shape. Most folks simply do not have deep enough pockets.

With that said, I also think RC caters to a different type of person. Most teenagers these days don't have long enough attention spans to enjoy RC racing. It is so much easier to simply pick up a basketball or something and be reaosonably good at it with very little effort. The same can't be said about RC and I think that frustrates people.

However, I will say that when people see the hobby they do get interested. This hobby needs EXPOSURE on the local level and right now it is hard to do so in any meaningful way.

Sponsors: Visa, Mastercard, Amex, and my wife's bank account.
Edumakated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #20
Tech Regular

I would say that 1/8 buggy SAVED the RC industry. I raced 1/10 scale electric buggy 20 yrs and I saw the decline happening then...and this was before 1/8 buggy became mainstream.

However remember that the bulk of RCers are BASHERS not RACERS, why do you think that TRAXXAS has the top selling rigs...which are aimed at bashing not racing (the REVO being the exception). A lot of the racers I know don't own a basher and would NEVER drive their rigs in a fashion that would be considered bashing. So let's frame the conversation in that we're not taking the basher population into consideration.

If you look at where the bulk of the excitement in the RC industry comes from as far as manufactoring sponsoring. aftermarket R&D for hopups, and pure sex appeal, 1/8 nitro buggy is where it's at. The noice aspect along with big air jumping makes the buggy class exciting to the newcomer. Now the same can be said for Truggies, but I think that Truggies are too similiar in appearence to Monster Trucks which are on the downturn and lets face it, I like the low profile mean ass look of a buggy WAAAAYY better than a Monster Truck or it's basterd cousin the Truggy (and I own a REVO and RC8T!!)
El Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

As long as we're all still racing little cars and trucks around a track with radios in our hands, the hobby/sport won't be dead. It's kind of like George Patton once said: "We're not retreating, we're advancing in another direction." 1/10 scale used to be the dominant class, but now with the declining cost of running 1/8, people are retreating from 1/10, which can be damn hard when you're really going for it, and advancing to 1/8. I think we've got to give a big credit to Team Losi for helping this along, the 8ight and 8ight-T 2.0 RTRs are probably the best bargains in any R/C class ever, and I know they're going to draw more people into 1/8, including me next year.

That said, I think the "decline" of 1/10 scale has been exaggerated, mostly due to the fact that ROAR entries for 1/10 electric and nitro classes seem to be declining. It seems to me like the big ROAR races are mainly held on the west coast and in the south/southwest where 1/8 can be run most of the year. Here in the Midwest, and really anywhere that has an actual winter, 1/10 is still going very strong; at the carpet track I race at in WI during the winter, we probably get 30-40 entries weekly, all stadium trucks and slashes. We like racing year-round, and 1/10 is the only way to do it.

But like I said before, as long as there are lots of people racing and new people coming into the hobby, R/C will be just fine
TLR 8ight-E 3.0/Trackstar/Hobbystar 1450 kV/Turnigy/Airtronics/AKA
ICBeloitRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #22
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Thanks for your comments guys, this is awesome
Old 07-13-2009, 08:21 PM   #23
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to redbirdsboy22
at leisure house we have a problem with popularity 1/8 scale dominates and the 1 / 10 scalr is behind far but we dont even race the 1/18 1/16 1/15 1/12 because of popularity
redbirdsboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

1/8 Scale buggies/truggys are a tiny portion of the RC vehicles sold. You will never see an ad for an RC8 or 8ight in mainstream magazines Maxxim or Car & Driver. But you see ads for Traxxas vehicles all the time.

I disagree about 1/8 scale saving the race scene. Its merely where everything is consolidating attempting to survive.

LCRC Raceway and Bumps & Jumps.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

1/8 Buggy is the Most Exciting racing class you could take part of the competition is Awesome and so much Fun!! the cars are better now than in years past just about every 1/8 buggy is competitive right out of the box no hop up's needed.. but lets not forget that any form of r/c racing is a small fragment compared to the millions of non racers.. Traxxas leads the way in r/c car sales without a serious racing kit.
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #26
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBeloitRacer View Post
It's kind of like George Patton once said: "We're not retreating, we're advancing in another direction."
Not Patton. The quote was from Korea...
PILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

1/8th has had the exact same effect in australia, however personally, with lipos and brushless technology, I'm heading back towards 1/10th electric (whilst not dumping 1/8th gas) for the main simple reason of convenience... charge. race.

here in sydney there are three 1/10th offroad tracks (left over form the 80's and 90's but still running) and only one 1/8th offroad track despite the growth of 1/8th gas.

Coupled with lipos and brushless, ive moved house and am now 15mins drive from each of the electric tracks. I also find 1/10th meets are far more relaxing and enjoyable. After a day racing 1/8th gas, whilst the racing is awesome, I am exhausted from driving, marshaling and pitting.

can't speak so much for elec vs gas in the onroad world, but I think electric has gas beaten pretty easily in australia.
vikingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 1/8 scale

I enjoy the racing aspect of rc. and 1/8th truggy and buggy is where it's at. The durability, reliability, performance and run time with lipo receiver batteries and the speed and runtime with the new nitro engines that are being manufactured today makes racing much more competetive and a blast. If it wasn't for 1/8 nitro I don't believe I would be into rcing at all. Without the 2 stroke sound and the smell of burn't fuel what fun would that be.
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Well to start when I started racing it was my little Frog that got me interested. Before long it was the gold plated RC10, then pan cars and on and on. When I ventured into offroad racing the RC10 worlds had just come out, still with the Alum chassis but black, and then the RC10t. After getting out of it for awhile and messing with my Tmaxx, NTC3 and Revo, I really wanted somewhere to race again. I just love the competetion.

I looked around for awhile and really only found 2 tracks within a couple hours drive from me. The majority of the cars run at these tracks are 1/8 buggies, some Truggies, and very few to no electrics. The few electrics we have are Spec class Slashes, or open SCT trucks. My local friends that race here have been discussing just buying some B4s or B44s and between the 3-5 of us, just having our own class. I do own an RC8T and love racing it (when its not broke or frustrating the hell out of me (and no, Im not bashing the RC8T, it breaks because I break it with bad driving). But each weekend between the attrition, the engines and tires is costing me roughly $200-$400 a month to race (gas, travel, taking vacation because they only race on Sundays and I work.)

I don't think that one scale or one discipline (Electric or Nitro) as a whole has killed one or the other, but as pointed out earlier, its what the majority of people, or what the tracks are running or made for. Additionally if I wanted to get into electric and be competitive you are looking at Car (RTR B4 compared to FT B4 on track is night and day), ESC, Motor, Radio, LiPo(s), and charger. In the end I could buy an RTR RC8T, RC8 RS, Losi 8ight, or even depending on the cost of the LiPos, motor or charger I choose, could even get the price up there to that of the 8ight 2.0 RTR. My view, rolling racer 1/10 electric at a competetion level, should not cost me no more the $200. I mean really its a 3rd of the material cost of the 1/8, but costs me about 1/2 the price of the 1/8.
Just for example:

Team Associated Factory Team B4 Buggy Kit $214.99 (what 3 year old design?)
(what 1/2 pound of plastics and a handful of metal parts)

Team Associated Factory Team RC8 (First Gen) can be found for $450
(total of 8 lbs of material, full Alum chassis, easily twice the titanium used, etc.. etc..) Honestly way more actual "material" for my money

Also as I look through my RC Mags, Im always seeing "Mayfield wins 1/8 (insert buggy/ truggy)", Cavalari wins 1/8 ..., Drake... Skelton.. and locally I have a few here also. So if all they are advertising is the pros racing 1/8 and not placing any emphasis on the Electric, then racing electric won't make me like the pro's. Or so the mentality goes. "Be like Mike" I mean really want to get the sport booming, put it on TV, with some quality not public access or something.

I dunno, Im sure I could rant on this for hours, just comes down to what the people in your area are racing, and what the Magazine's, Manufactures, and tracks are pushing.

Honestly, if they raced 1/10 scale buggies, or 4wd electrics, or trucks here I would be all for it. And if manufactures weren't charging me only $100 less for for a 1/10 compared to a 1/8 scale car... Nothing more relaxing then charging a battery, throwing it in the car, turning it on, and a way you go.
/rant

One other thing, really whats kinda hurting the sport right now... the economy... spend $400 on car... or worry about getting layed off next week or month...

Last edited by Stirex; 07-14-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Stirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:20 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingen View Post
1/8th has had the exact same effect in australia, however personally, with lipos and brushless technology, I'm heading back towards 1/10th electric (whilst not dumping 1/8th gas) for the main simple reason of convenience... charge. race.

here in sydney there are three 1/10th offroad tracks (left over form the 80's and 90's but still running) and only one 1/8th offroad track despite the growth of 1/8th gas.

Coupled with lipos and brushless, ive moved house and am now 15mins drive from each of the electric tracks. I also find 1/10th meets are far more relaxing and enjoyable. After a day racing 1/8th gas, whilst the racing is awesome, I am exhausted from driving, marshaling and pitting.

can't speak so much for elec vs gas in the onroad world, but I think electric has gas beaten pretty easily in australia.

I may not agree completely with what you said above, I do agree that after a day of racing 1/8th Buggy/Truggy, pitting and marshalling. I'm ready for a good nights sleep!