R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Engine help please (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/311302-engine-help-please.html)

killatoyota4569 07-11-2009 08:01 PM

Engine help please

Hey guys I have a freind who races Nitro so I sent him my engine and he says that the front main bearing is leaking. He says fuel comes out and air goes in.
Also he says the tool to remove the bearing is 150 bux and he doesnt have it. He says it is hard to remove these bearings and that the rear are easier. Is this true??? Y cant you just hammer it out or use a heat gun to losen her up?

The engine is an Old Novarossi TOP 3.5 .21 Buggy engine.

ezveedub 07-11-2009 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by killatoyota4569 (Post 6054780)
Hey guys I have a freind who races Nitro so I sent him my engine and he says that the front main bearing is leaking. He says fuel comes out and air goes in.
Also he says the tool to remove the bearing is 150 bux and he doesnt have it. He says it is hard to remove these bearings and that the rear are easier. Is this true??? Y cant you just hammer it out or use a heat gun to losen her up?

The engine is an Old Novarossi TOP 3.5 .21 Buggy engine.

Strip engine down to a bare case, put in the oven at 425F. After about 10 minutes, the bearing should fall out. You could use a heat gun too, but the oven heats the case evenly. Installation is easy if you put the new bearing in the freezer, heat the case again, and it should drop or slide right in. The rear bearing will fall out if you heat it enough, so make sure its in place if you doing the front bearing only.

gkn0315 07-11-2009 08:23 PM

yeah you can put the engine case in the oven and let it heat up then lightly tap the rear bearing out after you do this reheat the case and use thecrank to push out the front bearing hope this helps also make sure to reheat the case to put the new bearing back in you can also freeze the the bearing to help in this process gook luck

gotspeed_2000 07-11-2009 08:35 PM

Not to knock your friend who's offering help, but I'd be concerned if he didn't know that you don't need a tool to remove the bearing. Strip down the motor and check the bearing to see if it's worn too. Most front bearings to a certain degree will leak out oil from the seal. That doesn't mean it has to be changed, it's just that you need to pay attention to the bearing and check it for wear more often.

When you heat the engine case, make sure you have some old baking mits ready and a small wood dowel. I've used that to tap out the bearing from the case out.

killatoyota4569 07-13-2009 05:06 AM

Thank you guys for the great replys. I bought and engine off him that had Tooo much pinch the Pistion got stuck on me at the top stroke everytime, so he was breaking that in. I sent him my old Nova that was cutting out everytime at WOT. So that is the answer why he says its not working. So I guess I will talk to him agian and see what he says.

I would love to fix this bearing problem. I just dont know how to build these engines. are they hard?? Do they have schematics on these? Im a real car mechanic so I am sure it is not too much diff ;).

If there is any other info you can give me or hand down that would be great tooo. thnak you guys and have a wonderful day.