R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

i posted in your other thread too...cordless drills are ran with same 1-770 motor and use 19.2volt so you can definately use a 4s lipo. mine charges to about 16.8 volts so you are fine
Old 07-16-2009, 01:05 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

yeah ordered my lipo today, thanks for all your help.
lethalleigh29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:25 AM   #33
Tech Elite

watchout:

starting boxes are an application where, fairly often, the power source gets shorted as the flywheel trys to turn sthing that won't bulge such as a new engine with a lot of pinch, or the chassis itself when the car is not positionned well enough on the box's stand (happens a lot during the stress of a flame-out in the main...).

And Lipos HATE being shorted, it harms them a lot more than niXX's or Pb gel cells.

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:19 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Lipos are fine in a starter box- EVERYONE I know that races, uses Lipo in their box and since they really hit the market last summer, I have not heard or read of a problem.

You may have to replace the Off and On switch eventually but its fine
Old 07-16-2009, 05:46 AM   #35
Tech Elite

ill give it a go and see what happens it sounds like it will be fine ive had a lot more positive feedbak than negative so im all for it.
lethalleigh29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:59 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)
Send a message via MSN to MBR52 Send a message via Yahoo to MBR52

Lipos it is then Lethal, hardly any bad posts about em, thanx all for your help with our problem
Mugen MST-1 powered by Novarossi
Associated B44 powered by Novak
MBR52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:01 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
Lipos are fine in a starter box- EVERYONE I know that races, uses Lipo in their box and since they really hit the market last summer, I have not heard or read of a problem.

You may have to replace the Off and On switch eventually but its fine

the famous "EVERYONE I know" compelling argument you will find it in many threads on RC tech... just because everyone does it doesn't mean it's right...

Let me say that EVERYONE is shortening the life of their lipo packs today by using them in an application they weren't designed for.

Mind you, I'm not saying that EVERYONE will end up being badly burnt by a self-fire-catching starting box... but statistically, more will than if they were using gel cells instead

Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:05 AM   #38
Tech Adept

Just put the dam lipo in the box and use it........... u guys are starting to act like a bunch of pussies......... MEOW: lol:
maybe we should get OBAMA to legislate and over see the installation and use of the box from now on tooo.......:rolleyes :
Official NON-EXPERT
casterdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:23 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
the famous "EVERYONE I know" compelling argument you will find it in many threads on RC tech... just because everyone does it doesn't mean it's right...

Let me say that EVERYONE is shortening the life of their lipo packs today by using them in an application they weren't designed for.

Mind you, I'm not saying that EVERYONE will end up being badly burnt by a self-fire-catching starting box... but statistically, more will than if they were using gel cells instead

Paul
I'll tell you this bud, I dont know what hole your in, but if you take a second and read your post and then do the research you will find that alot of companines are making starter box specfic lipos. And I being around a hell of alot of Factory Drivers say EVERYONE, uses lipos in their starter box and I not have seen or read about anything wrong with them.

Oh and I think you are the only neg remark on this topic
Old 07-16-2009, 06:28 AM   #40
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

I love my lipo's in eveything from box to Tx to Rx....Lipo Rules.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:47 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
I'll tell you this bud, I dont know what hole your in, but if you take a second and read your post and then do the research you will find that alot of companines are making starter box specfic lipos. And I being around a hell of alot of Factory Drivers say EVERYONE, uses lipos in their starter box and I not have seen or read about anything wrong with them.

Oh and I think you are the only neg remark on this topic
sorry If my initial comment came a bit aggressive. I take it from the tone of your answer that this was the case, and typically people only insult others when they felt insulted in the first place. I didn't mean to insult you

My point is that there's a lot of things in RC that are done by a lot of people, and some of them are just, well, plain wrong - hence my comment on the "everyone does it" argument. A gel cell or even a nimh cell will withstand short circuits much better than a lipo. The fact that I'm the only one on this thread to say negative things about using a lipo in this kind of application doesn't make me wrong by essence.

I've used Lipos since late 2005 as in switzerland we were among the first ones to race them competitively in sanctioned races in our electric sedans (which is my original racing category, I just do 8th scale offroad "on the side")... I know my lipos - and I would not use them in starting boxes, that's all.

My 2 cents... up to you to power your starting boxes with what you like

Peace,
Paul

Old 07-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #42
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
I love my lipo's in eveything from box to Tx to Rx....Lipo Rules.
I second that remark, I think I charge once a month.
FASTLANE GRAPHIX - http://www.fastlane-graphix.com
Tim Dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #43
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

All I know is that my Ofna Truggy box with a 4s lipo will start any nitro engine new, old, durring those tough breakins I mean any nitro engine. It has not stalled yet. I cant say the same for the old losi box with a 4s lipo. It stalled all the time still. $s lipo should be the only thing allowed in starter boxes.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #44
Tech Initiate

Default hi

Hello everyone just a quick question i am from the UK and want you advice on this LIPO for my starter box this is what i want to buy but not sure if it is a bit OTT
Thunder Power "Pro Race" 4S Hardcase Li-Polymer Battery 40C (14.8V/4200mAh)
So will this be ok?? i have already got the Deans wet noodles and the deans ultra plugs and to make it look good a got some GKM big slinkys. Do i get rid of the switch or keep it??
Old 08-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
sorry If my initial comment came a bit aggressive. I take it from the tone of your answer that this was the case, and typically people only insult others when they felt insulted in the first place. I didn't mean to insult you

My point is that there's a lot of things in RC that are done by a lot of people, and some of them are just, well, plain wrong - hence my comment on the "everyone does it" argument. A gel cell or even a nimh cell will withstand short circuits much better than a lipo. The fact that I'm the only one on this thread to say negative things about using a lipo in this kind of application doesn't make me wrong by essence.

I've used Lipos since late 2005 as in switzerland we were among the first ones to race them competitively in sanctioned races in our electric sedans (which is my original racing category, I just do 8th scale offroad "on the side")... I know my lipos - and I would not use them in starting boxes, that's all.

My 2 cents... up to you to power your starting boxes with what you like

Peace,
Paul
There is no short circuit from a stalled electric motor, there is some resistance because of the rotor windings... if you leave the motor stalled on the box then yes you can damage the lipo, but who would do this to their starter box.

Have you ever seen a NiMH battery go off, it is like a 410 shotgun... Any battery used in the RC market is not used for what it was primarily designed for so your theory makes no sense. We are all shortening the life of our batteries, be they NiMH, Gel Cell or NiCd, performance does come at a cost.

Tell me are you are safety officer or do you work in safety...