Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Trying to start engine for the first time and 1 question: >

Trying to start engine for the first time and 1 question:

Trying to start engine for the first time and 1 question:

Old 07-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Garet Jax
Well - sleeping on it seems to have made the difference. I wasn't even getting the engine to turn over last night. This morning it started up on the 3rd try.

I have it on a platform for now and I'm glad I did. When the engine started on its own, the wheels started to spin. The throttle looks to be as closed as possible. Can I assume I need to adjust my low needle a little to closer the throttle?

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.
I sure hope u heated it up if not you will be doing this all again for a new engine.....ALWAYS HEAT IT UP B4 STARTING.....The wheels turned because Im sure it loaded with fuel while starting it,and it set rich from the factory. As long as it stays running run it like that for a couple tanks then tune some.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JBURCH
I sure hope u heated it up if not you will be doing this all again for a new engine.....ALWAYS HEAT IT UP B4 STARTING.....The wheels turned because Im sure it loaded with fuel while starting it,and it set rich from the factory. As long as it stays running run it like that for a couple tanks then tune some.
Yup - heated it up to between 185-200 degrees before starting it.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JPierson
Another thing that will help is to make shure its at TDC or close to it when you try to
start it, that way there is more momentum to get it going!
he means BDC, or Bottom Dead center. Not TDC or Top dead center. You dont want to heat up your sleeve with your piston in it. I am sure it was just a typo
Old 07-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Jaz---somtimes it helps to turn the flywheel one full rotation to near TDC in the opposite direction. Like when viewing from the front of the car, turn the flywheel clockwise until it nears TDC. Then let the starter box spin up, push the chassis down against the starter wheel and the engine will have almost one full rotation to gain speed before it comes into the pinch zone.