R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Engine starts but stalls after throttle increase. Help! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/311113-engine-starts-but-stalls-after-throttle-increase-help.html)

sokar 07-10-2009 06:13 PM

Engine starts but stalls after throttle increase. Help!

I was driving my car around in circles at a dirt parking lot and it was running fine, but all of a sudden it stalled. I let it sit for awhile, and when I started it back up again it immediately stalled when I increased the throttle. If I increase the throttle very slowly it will run fine at very low speeds, but if I increase any more than about 1/4 throttle the car stalls. Since I lack a starting mechanism at the moment I'm not sure if its out of tune, but it was running extremely well before and I didn't change environments or anything. I also periodically spit a giant wad of spit on the engine head while running it in this parking lot, and every time the spit evaporated in 4+ seconds, so I don't think I overheated the engine. The air filter was a two stage well oiled air filter which stayed on the engine the whole time. What could be causing this? The engine is a Macstar .28.

roadracer43 07-10-2009 06:17 PM

Its obviously way too rich. With all the problems you are having I would try to find someone at the closest track to help you with it, not the lhs.

Jaz240 07-10-2009 06:19 PM

Just sounds like a bad glow plug to me

roadracer43 07-10-2009 06:27 PM

Theres really no telling what it is. Diagnosing a problem on the net is pretty much useless without being able to troubleshoot the actual engine. If I were him I would find someone with some experience to help him out with it.

Jaz240 07-10-2009 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by roadracer43 (Post 6051453)
Theres really no telling what it is. Diagnosing a problem on the net is pretty much useless without being able to troubleshoot the actual engine. If I were him I would find someone with some experience to help him out with it.

I agree completely, but changing to a new plug is one thing eliminated..God I could be so rich if I could diagnose and fix problems on-line:D

aradaiel 07-10-2009 07:57 PM

Could be an air leak or a cracked case also.. hard to diagnose over the interwebs. :p

sokar 07-10-2009 08:40 PM

What does this have to do with the glow plug? I already said it starts fine. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the glow plug become a fancy hunk of metal after the engine is started? I was under the impression it served no purpose after it started.

losi_racer 07-10-2009 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by sokar (Post 6051921)
What does this have to do with the glow plug? I already said it starts fine. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the glow plug become a fancy hunk of metal after the engine is started? I was under the impression it served no purpose after it started.

glow plug stays hot after you take the ignitor off from the cycle of the engine. its just like a diesel

Jaz240 07-10-2009 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by losi_racer (Post 6051937)
glow plug stays hot after you take the ignitor off from the cycle of the engine. its just like a diesel

:nod: and if your glow plug is bad guess what happens!? ...your engine stalls..Garfield just try a new plug..If it does the same thing, that's one problem you eliminated

You cant go forever with 1 plug anyway..you did change it after you completed engine break in right?

sokar 07-10-2009 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 6052134)
:nod: and if your glow plug is bad guess what happens!? ...your engine stalls..Garfield just try a new plug..If it does the same thing, that's one problem you eliminated

You cant go forever with 1 plug anyway..you did change it after you completed engine break in right?

I have not replaced the plug since I bought the car.

But I'm still confused. How does the plug stay hot after the ignitor is disconnected and there is no power to it? And even if it did stay hot, how would that affect the combustion? Isn't the chamber hot enough to sustain the combustion without the heat of the glow plug?

JPierson 07-10-2009 10:07 PM

LOL, no the plug ignites the fuel! That's how it stays hot and that's how
you get combustion!

Chris__RC 07-10-2009 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by sokar (Post 6052172)
I have not replaced the plug since I bought the car.

But I'm still confused. How does the plug stay hot after the ignitor is disconnected and there is no power to it? And even if it did stay hot, how would that affect the combustion? Isn't the chamber hot enough to sustain the combustion without the heat of the glow plug?

While the engine is idling screw the glow plug out and see what happens. You have the plug on tight right?

az00lude 07-10-2009 10:21 PM

A good writeup on how glow plug works and how to select the right one to use.

http://www.bsrcc.com/glowplugs.htm

Jaz240 07-10-2009 10:28 PM

First RC Nitro lesson..Most glow plugs (especially standard type like you have) will be useless after engine break in. Your manual should have told you to change the plug after break in..Its good that your asking questions and leaning..now change the damn plug;)

B.A. Racer 07-11-2009 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 6052264)
First RC Nitro lesson..Most glow plugs (especially standard type like you have) will be useless after engine break in. Your manual should have told you to change the plug after break in..Its good that your asking questions and leaning..now change the damn plug;)

+1