Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommend to me a .21 engine with a 14mm crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

bad idea to freeze bearings. when they unfreeze. guess what. condensation. then huh? whats that! condensation means water! which equals rust! hope you didnt try freezing it already
Old 07-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In the past I have preheated the oven to like 350-400 and then put the block in and turn the oven off, wait 15 minutes and pull it out. if you have a heat gun you could use that as well but I think the oven might be your best bet in thsi case. I would almost put money on it that if you freeze the bearing it will slide right in. if anything it may need a little tap from a socket like someone else mentioned.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

I have done the freez trick many times and hve no issues with rust. When putting the motor back togeather I use alot of oil on everything.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

+1 always use a good after run oil when reassembly an engine. Or nitro fuel if you have nothing else. I usually coat the rear bearing and crank pin where the rod goes on really well. Anything to keep it from haven't that amount of friction of "dry starting" until the fuel gets to everything. I personally would not spend another 60 bux on that other tool just to put this back together. It will go just find a really big hammer! j/k

Another thing that I may have missed in the other posts where you stated and you would really suprised in panic mode how easy it would be to do, but i hope you took the carb off before you put it in the oven. lol
Old 07-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Ok, question for you: Could you use the crank with a washer and the flywheel nut to pull it back in?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Originally Posted by coviello
bad idea to freeze bearings. when they unfreeze. guess what. condensation. then huh? whats that! condensation means water! which equals rust! hope you didnt try freezing it already
I've done it many times, and no problems yet.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonathan Bell
+1 always use a good after run oil when reassembly an engine. Or nitro fuel if you have nothing else. I usually coat the rear bearing and crank pin where the rod goes on really well. Anything to keep it from haven't that amount of friction of "dry starting" until the fuel gets to everything. I personally would not spend another 60 bux on that other tool just to put this back together. It will go just find a really big hammer! j/k

Another thing that I may have missed in the other posts where you stated and you would really suprised in panic mode how easy it would be to do, but i hope you took the carb off before you put it in the oven. lol
I've done many stupid things in my life, but putting plastic or rubber in a hot oven is not one of them
Old 07-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

why cant you just put the bearing on the crank and push it back in. You seem to be making this process really difficult for yourself. Heat the block, freeze the bearing. Put bearing on crank, pull/push into hot block. Voila.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

dude just go buy a new engine and dont mess with it