Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
what is the easiest way to tell if the rear engine bearing is bad? >

what is the easiest way to tell if the rear engine bearing is bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what is the easiest way to tell if the rear engine bearing is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default what is the easiest way to tell if the rear engine bearing is bad?

Ok, even a new bearing (tko's anyway), have a very small amount of back and forth play. I know some of the engine bearings i have changed not only have more back and forth play but side to side play as well.

So, i have some ceramic bearings with a couple gallons on them, but just want to know if there was a easy way to tell they are fine. Just to make sure.

thank you for anybody who answers
Old 03-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

flame outs
and strip the engine down check the play and the grit feel
no set fuel mileage at least thats how i do it
Old 03-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

pull the crank, stick your finger in the back of the case, press against the bearing and spin, if its gritty it's done.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dreaux
Ok, even a new bearing (tko's anyway), have a very small amount of back and forth play. I know some of the engine bearings i have changed not only have more back and forth play but side to side play as well.

So, i have some ceramic bearings with a couple gallons on them, but just want to know if there was a easy way to tell they are fine. Just to make sure.

thank you for anybody who answers
Most noticeable is Noise - some kind of unusual high pitch noise when u fires it up & when running.

My ride - Mugen / Ninja / M11 / Sanwa(Airtronics), very close 2 yours !
Old 03-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

i am putting a new con rod on a new vspec P/S. I am about to smash the darn thing with a hammer. I have never had this much trouble putting a con rod on before. but i have only done ninjas, is the vspec different or something? I have the tabed ninja clips. Any secrets? I usually can get it in with my finger nail but no matter how hard i try i can't get it.

Some one help before i start using sharp metal objects to pry it in there.

Why is this so hard?

And why the $#%^ can't you buy a P/S with a con rod on it? I already have a couple extremely small scratches from my finger nail and or clip. This sucks

SOmeone please help me.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

bump for some help.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Tech Master

bump for some help.
MY FRIEND BE PATIENCE
yea dude i hear ya its frustrating
i found if use tweezers and pillow case cut holes for ur arms pop ur head in there with motor and do it in there so u dont loose the clips make sure no one sees u or they may think kkk lol good luck and if that dosent help fuck of to do something else clear ur head and come back that helps with the frustration due good luck
Old 03-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i am putting a new con rod on a new vspec P/S. I am about to smash the darn thing with a hammer. I have never had this much trouble putting a con rod on before. but i have only done ninjas, is the vspec different or something? I have the tabed ninja clips. Any secrets? I usually can get it in with my finger nail but no matter how hard i try i can't get it.

Some one help before i start using sharp metal objects to pry it in there.

Why is this so hard?

And why the $#%^ can't you buy a P/S with a con rod on it? I already have a couple extremely small scratches from my finger nail and or clip. This sucks

SOmeone please help me.
well they do have the v spec speed p/s/r assembly cheaper than getting the rod and p/s seperately
Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 AM
Tech Elite

yeah, i got it. I have zero patience.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

pull the plug and turn it over with the flywheel. put the bottom of the case to your ear and listen. you'll know if its bad. i also heard a screw driver works too, put the tip on the head with the engine idleing and put the handle in your ear.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mrbusta
MY FRIEND BE PATIENCE
i found if use tweezers and pillow case cut holes for ur arms pop ur head in there with motor and do it in there so u dont loose the clips make sure no one sees u or they may think kkk lol good luck and if that dosent help of to do something else clear ur head and come back that helps with the frustration due good luck
little spelling help or edit for ya
Old 03-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Master

If the rod won't go onto the crank pin easily chances are your rear bearing is not seated properly.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MY FRIEND BE PATIENCE
i found if use tweezers and pillow case cut holes for ur arms pop ur head in there with motor and do it in there so u dont loose the clips make sure no one sees u or they may think kkk lol good luck and if that dosent help fuck of to do something else clear ur head and come back that helps with the frustration due good luck
Come on man. I had to try and read this four times befor I kinda' got it.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

MY FRIEND BE PATIENCE
I use a fairly good sized cardboard box on its side with a towel inside . A tool I made out a plastic drink stirrer ( sanded it down to a very small screwdriver looking tip) . I also keep two bags of wristpin clips at hand when I'm doing it .Like busta said if you run into problems take a break and come back to it . It's amazing how many times I have struggled with something taken a break and gone on to something else then come back to it and completed the task no problem .
Old 03-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fukitol
little spelling help or edit for ya
hahahaha yea i put it in i was hopeful the spell check would fix
sorry to offend but im sought of blunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.