R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default I want out.

As many of you know, I recently bought a OFNA Hyper 8. However lately I've been having problems with it. The thing seems like its falling apart. It started with the pull start blowing out without warning (I wasn't even pulling it when it broke) and it then progressively started falling apart more. After working on it some, I find it poorly designed and very hard to work on. This is the second nitro vehicle I've owned which has had problems. My first was a T Maxx pro .15. Unlike the OFNA, the T Maxx was very well designed, very durable, and was a pleasure to work on, however it had recurring problems that seemed like design flaws. The reverse randomly failed, the tranny failed, my first engine had major starting problems, and the spur gear would not stop stripping despite proper alignment. The T Maxx acted like it had some ancient egyptian curse on it. The OFNA seems to be almost the opposite. The engine is easy to start and there seems to be no apparent design flaws or odd recurring problems, however it seems very poorly designed and is falling apart. A slight low speed crash which my Maxx would've easily shrugged off caused $50+ damage to the OFNA. Like I said before, the pull start randomly snapped, another $30. I haven't had it for a week and it already needs $80 worth of repair. Trying to work on it makes me want to tear my hair out.

I am tempted to sell the OFNA for another car. Maybe it's time to go electric. I've always like the sound and the feel of the nitro. I absolutely love the attention the nitros attract, with all the little kids and their parents that gather around when I drive it. I also like caring for the engine, oiling the air filter, picking out the right fuel to drive, etc. But I don't know if I can take it anymore. I rarely get to drive the nitro cars I've owned because they're always broken, I've poured more money than I should've into just getting them to run not to mention the terrible mess they make everywhere. Electrics are faster, cheaper to run, and more reliable than Nitros. I don't really know what to do,and I would love some advice. Could I get enough money from the sale of the OFNA and the Hyper 8.5 upgrade kit to buy an electric with brushless and lipo? I actually have a brand new brushless motor lying around but I know nothing of electric or how good it is. I bought it about 2ish years ago. Would you do the same in my situation? Again, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Mods: May I have permission to post this in the Electric Off-Road section? I would love their advice as well.

Last edited by sokar; 07-06-2009 at 06:38 PM.
sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

When you were buying your buggy, you were the one who wanted to get the Hyper 8, while no one really told you whether or not to get it. So you got the parts and went on vacation and you hit something and it broke again? If you are always breaking nitro cars, and it is the parts that are breaking, not the engine, then you will still break parts with electric. Don't expect to get all the kinks out of the car by break in.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)
Send a message via AIM to megasaxon Send a message via Yahoo to megasaxon

like everybody already told you, 1/8th scale buggy are designed more for racing andwill not take the thrashing and bashing that a T-maxx is designed to take. If you get rid the buggy, get a Truggy, its more durable usually, can handle the shock of a crash better, its easier to drive. I reccomend the CEN Matrix TR Arena RTR. Very durable truck, stock motor is pretty strong, and CEN makes tons of upgrades for it(at a resonable price) if/when you want to upgrade parts. THIS part is plastic stock, and the upgrade is a must, onlyt real weak point on it.

Jammins and Hyper ST's are solid choices too
Old 07-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
When you were buying your buggy, you were the one who wanted to get the Hyper 8, while no one really told you whether or not to get it. So you got the parts and went on vacation and you hit something and it broke again? If you are always breaking nitro cars, and it is the parts that are breaking, not the engine, then you will still break parts with electric. Don't expect to get all the kinks out of the car by break in.
Its not the car itself that I have a problem with. I wanted a buggy or truggy. I couldn't find many truggies except the thunder tiger which I knew nothing about and could not find parts for. I was told the Hyper 8 was very durable, and it came highly recommended by my LHS and some members of RC forums. My neighbor owned a T maxx for awhile, and he had no problems at all during or after break in despite a few crashes. My friend owns a Jato 3.3 that has had absolutely no problems with since he bought it about 2 years ago. I find it hard to believe that its just coincidence that these things just happen sometimes, especially after it happening in two cars.

An electric car has no overheating issues, no tuning problems, no starting problems, and no starting mechanism. There is less to break. A small part or arm breaking is cheap and easy to replace. A pull start is an expensive thing to keep replacing, and again the Hyper 8 is an extremely frustrating car to work on. I came here asking for advice, not a lecture. And for the record, I did not break it again. I'm on vacation now and cannot drive it because I can't seem to get it back together after the last repair. How this thing is designed is ridiculous.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (88%+)

Well maybe the Hyper 8 wasnt the best thing for you. You could have always saved more money and bought a better quality car. That way these things couldnt of happened. For example instead of always having to replace the pull starts just get a starter box. That way you can never break them. Saving money can go a long way.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:00 PM   #6
Tech Master

Electrics over heat trust me. The have starting issues too. Ever seen someone melt their speed control try to solder it back together and then it take off full throttle in the wall.

1/8th scale electric is not as easy as it seems. Plus the drive train gets abused more than in nitro.

1/10th scale electric will break way easier than the 1/8th scales.

It's all frustrating sometimes.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hi sokar.

To start, it's difficult to really gauge the deapth and breath of your issues, as the description of some of your problems are rather vague.

With regards to pull-starts, understand that this is a budget starting mechanism, and in my experience, they all break, and most sooner than later. Some people are able to coax a little and sometimes a lot more out of their parts by being a bit gentler and doing proper maintenance, while others will rant about how cheap and fragile their r/c vehicle is as they smash it into a telephone pole. You'd have to provide a little bit more of an explanation of what you're doing with your vehicles.

Second, in R/C like in anything else in life, you get what you pay for, and the reason that most RTRs are unreliable is that the manufacturer cuts corners in strategic areas to lower the price. What exactly is "falling apart" on the H8?

With regards to electric vs nitro, depending on how you use (or abuse) your equipment, you may not necessarily have more luck with electric. I've done both, and in my opinion, you just trade one set of issues and variables for another.

Therefore, my suggestion to you would be to take a step back and try to figure out what the root cause of your problems is.

-Are you perhaps being too demanding on the equipment?
-Are you performing regular maintenance?
-Do you have realistic expectations of what can be acheived with a given R/C vehicle, particularly RTRs?
-Could it simply be a few cheap parts in key places that are ruining your fun?

Just a few points to consider before you head for the seemingly greener grass next door
captain america is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhipps835 View Post
Well maybe the Hyper 8 wasnt the best thing for you. You could have always saved more money and bought a better quality car. That way these things couldnt of happened. For example instead of always having to replace the pull starts just get a starter box. That way you can never break them. Saving money can go a long way.
+2
JBURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBURCH View Post
+2
Thanks!!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)
Send a message via AIM to megasaxon Send a message via Yahoo to megasaxon

i've seen a hyper 8 and its pretty much exactly the same as 90% of all 1/8th scale buggies. Doesn't seem like you were prepared for how integrated each part is on an 1/8th scale to help prevent breakage. Tuning problems, overheating problems come from inexperience, big blocks are a whole new animal as compared to small blocks like the pro .15 that was in your maxx. If its running hot, either your clutch is sticking or you are too lean somewhere, more than likely both high and low needles. Starting, get a starter box, much less hassle, as long as you set the box up right.

you are getting lectured because all you've done is get on here and moan and complain about the car, never asking for specific help with specific problems. You're getting on here and trashing manufacturers and when someone gives you solid advice, you alomost completely ignore it
Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #11
Tech Master

" it came highly recommended by my LHS"
Most hobby shops will do that just to get you to buy something. It doesnt always mean you are buying a quality car. Not all but some.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by megasaxon View Post
like everybody already told you, 1/8th scale buggy are designed more for racing andwill not take the thrashing and bashing that a T-maxx is designed to take. If you get rid the buggy, get a Truggy, its more durable usually, can handle the shock of a crash better, its easier to drive. I reccomend the CEN Matrix TR Arena RTR. Very durable truck, stock motor is pretty strong, and CEN makes tons of upgrades for it(at a resonable price) if/when you want to upgrade parts. THIS part is plastic stock, and the upgrade is a must, onlyt real weak point on it.

Jammins and Hyper ST's are solid choices too
I'll cross that bridge when I get there. My decision now is either sell it and get another nitro, sell it and get an electric, or keep the ofna and fix it.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Losi, mugen, umm ya that's about it well there's the k car but it's way expensive and that damm k car and I have something personal, but they are good cars. You would have been better off with a losi 1.0 they are dirt cheap and still blast around the track. They tried to tell you. Ohh well live and learn.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhipps835 View Post
" it came highly recommended by my LHS"
Most hobby shops will do that just to get you to buy something. It doesnt always mean you are buying a quality car. Not all but some.
+1..My favorite line. Its the best one we have in stock right now..That'll be $400 please
Old 07-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
+1..My favorite line. Its the best one we have in stock right now..That'll be $400 please
lol...