R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #46
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default hyper 8

sokar, when I first started this hobby I started out with A Ofna rtr and was frustrated enough to almost quit A couple different times. If you enjoy it stick with it, be patient and thorough. Although my best advice would be scrap the rtr and go kit mbx6, losi 2.0, jammin x2, kyosho mp9 etc., quality electronics, engine and bump box. You will still have maintenance but you will find that you have alot less low quality parts breaking and ending your day.
tristyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:56 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokar View Post
Is all the "stop bitching and deal with it" going on in this thread really necessary? I came on this forum asking for some simple advice. I can't be the first person who has been a little frustrated with this hobby, and I fail to understand the hostility.

To the people who gave thoughtful responses, thank you. I've decided to just buy a starter box and stick with it. Hopefully I can get the kinks worked out fairly soon. Good day to you all.
Good choice. And I think you'll grow to like the Hyper 8. It is a tough, reliable car.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:03 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokar View Post
Is all the "stop bitching and deal with it" going on in this thread really necessary? I came on this forum asking for some simple advice. I can't be the first person who has been a little frustrated with this hobby, and I fail to understand the hostility.

To the people who gave thoughtful responses, thank you. I've decided to just buy a starter box and stick with it. Hopefully I can get the kinks worked out fairly soon. Good day to you all.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA - LOOK bro - We are grown men that play with TOYS - No you are the only one that get frustrated - I have been doing this for a long time and I still get pissed and throw tantrums, and most of us do when we are having a bad day at the track, but we don't come on to a forum for nitro enthusiasts and say I want out. No one said this is easy or cheap, your new into the hobby and if you knew the amount of money some of us dish out you would pass out. Plus where I’m at sh!t talking is part of the hobby, and its all in good fun. So relax, don’t take things so personal – if you have a problem come out and ask, and you will get 3,508 different answers from 15 guys………………………………………………..

So STOP being all PISSY and let RACE – and have FUN………. Hahahahahahahahahahaha

RELAX – DEEP BREATH 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Woo Sah
Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA - LOOK bro - We are grown men that play with TOYS - No you are the only one that get frustrated - I have been doing this for a long time and I still get pissed and throw tantrums, and most of us do when we are having a bad day at the track, but we don't come on to a forum for nitro enthusiasts and say I want out. No one said this is easy or cheap, your new into the hobby and if you knew the amount of money some of us dish out you would pass out. Plus where I’m at sh!t talking is part of the hobby, and its all in good fun. So relax, don’t take things so personal – if you have a problem come out and ask, and you will get 3,508 different answers from 15 guys………………………………………………..

So STOP being all PISSY and let RACE – and have FUN………. Hahahahahahahahahahaha

RELAX – DEEP BREATH 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Woo Sah
Yes, let's meditate and relax... take a deep breath... relax... close your eyes... now repeat this chant, over and over, until you reach understanding:

Oh-wah
tagoo
siam

Keep chanting, you'll get it.

Virtually any of us that race have spent not hundreds, but several THOUSAND dollars on equipment, tools, etc.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #50
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Garfield, its a little frustrating for some people to come onto a thread titled "I want Out" and not give you some crap. This is a hobby that most of us on this thread, eat sleep and breathe, and when someone who just started tells us this hobby sucks, they are too frustrated, they want to quit, they got a shitty buggy, etc, etc..Next time you have problems try a different title to your thread. If you are sincere about wanted to learn and getting help, people will know. If you just bash the hobby, you will get mostly bashing in return. just some food for thought. peace, JAZ
Woa, when did I bash the hobby? I said I was having problems with my buggy and all of a sudden I think the hobby sucks? Why do people care about my problems so much? And even if people really did "eat, sleep, and breathe" this hobby, why are you asking me to respect other people's opinions when they clearly have absolutely no respect for mine?

EDIT: I'll start relaxing now.

Last edited by sokar; 07-08-2009 at 09:40 AM.
sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #51
Tech Elite

I agree, domit is very honest and complete in his thoughts and advice.

However, I have to disagree with him on the electric side of things. I am almost sure that alot of the makers of escs and motors are about done with all the issues, but I guess that it might not be a bad idea to wait a few more months to jump over to electric.

It all comes down to where the issues are. If it is starting the motor, then consider a rotostart or a starter box. If it is tuning, go to your local track and ask for help. If it is parts breakage like arms, etc..... See if OFNA has a forum and ask for help or advice over there.

For example, some plastic parts can be boiled to make them more flexible and less prone to breakage. Some aluminum parts have upgrades from their perspective companies and some aftermarket companies make parts that are even better for said car.

This is a hobby where odds are, you will be buying parts on at least a monthly basis, especially if you watch and replicate what you see on youtube videos.

Mike
Semi-Retired from this industry at this time.
hakmazter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #52
Tech Elite

You will also see how passionate these guys are...Especially on this particular forum....It can probably be overwhelming to a new person entering this hobby, but they hopefully mean well.

As to everyone else, please re read everyone's posts....I think most people know me by now and I just want to say that my ultimate goal is to grow the hobby as a whole. Always said it, always will. Bigger pie equals bigger slices for all.....

That being said, all of this is exactly opposite of everything I represent and believe. Not to jump on a soapbox, but if you were this guy, would you stick with it or put your stuff on ebay and take up golf or chess with the response he got?

We should all thank this guy for joining our hobby, try to talk him into having a buddy buy a car also, and get them both on a track at least once just to try it. Maybe one will end up staying around and end up winning a few races here and there.....

Tebo, Drake, James, etc.... all started in this long after it began, so they were newbies once also....
Old 07-09-2009, 01:03 AM   #53
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Cool

+1 hang in there and if you need some help ask a question and less complaining and you will catch less $h!t.
"I know I can't drive!! You still ACT like you can!!"
JPierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:07 AM   #54
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
You will also see how passionate these guys are...Especially on this particular forum....It can probably be overwhelming to a new person entering this hobby, but they hopefully mean well.

As to everyone else, please re read everyone's posts....I think most people know me by now and I just want to say that my ultimate goal is to grow the hobby as a whole. Always said it, always will. Bigger pie equals bigger slices for all.....

That being said, all of this is exactly opposite of everything I represent and believe. Not to jump on a soapbox, but if you were this guy, would you stick with it or put your stuff on ebay and take up golf or chess with the response he got?

We should all thank this guy for joining our hobby, try to talk him into having a buddy buy a car also, and get them both on a track at least once just to try it. Maybe one will end up staying around and end up winning a few races here and there.....

Tebo, Drake, James, etc.... all started in this long after it began, so they were newbies once also....
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH so politically (if its spelt right) correct.......
Screw that - I'm in Colorado and lst summer was my first 1/8 off road racing, I brought my 8T and joined www.denver-rc.com - if any of you think that this forum in bad ha I challenge you to get on the website and see how it is. They got on my ass for every simple question I asked - did they help me YES, were they asses about it YES. Every track I have been to - shit talking start before the race even begins - but the people who talks the most POOP are the main ones that help you when your down - that give you parts if you need them, I have seen racers dam near come to blows over stupid stuff, but when its time to race 10 minutes later, they are best friends...

If you think these MEN is just going grow a heart and feel sorry for you because you need help or having a hard time - bud think again. I have been around pro factory team drivers that will "jokingly" give you have hard time while they help you. We are men and men talk shit. the way I see it is you have two choices - stand your ground, hold your nuts and keep your head up with a smile - knowing that none of the poop talking is personal (they are but they are not) put a smile on your face and give them hell back OR tuck your tail between your legs and run.

This is a hobby in which GROWN men PLAY with toys that cost a lot of money - competition is high and anything with competition come with POOP talking. NFL, NBA, even NASCAR, GOLF – yep they are talk poop. And they don’t say fine Im quitting.

I welcome you into a very frustrating hobby which is full of fun and disappointment. Its not easy to get the hang of it. Once I got my 2.0 I DNFed every race for 2 month – working all the bugs out the truck, you talk about frustration, try driving for 8 hours to get to a race and your car break in the first qualifier and no one has any parts…….

Stop complaining and as questions, we will probably get off topic but you will get the answer – the key is not to take everything to heart.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #55
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH so politically (if its spelt right) correct.......
Screw that - I'm in Colorado and lst summer was my first 1/8 off road racing, I brought my 8T and joined www.denver-rc.com - if any of you think that this forum in bad ha I challenge you to get on the website and see how it is. They got on my ass for every simple question I asked - did they help me YES, were they asses about it YES. Every track I have been to - shit talking start before the race even begins - but the people who talks the most POOP are the main ones that help you when your down - that give you parts if you need them, I have seen racers dam near come to blows over stupid stuff, but when its time to race 10 minutes later, they are best friends...

If you think these MEN is just going grow a heart and feel sorry for you because you need help or having a hard time - bud think again. I have been around pro factory team drivers that will "jokingly" give you have hard time while they help you. We are men and men talk shit. the way I see it is you have two choices - stand your ground, hold your nuts and keep your head up with a smile - knowing that none of the poop talking is personal (they are but they are not) put a smile on your face and give them hell back OR tuck your tail between your legs and run.

This is a hobby in which GROWN men PLAY with toys that cost a lot of money - competition is high and anything with competition come with POOP talking. NFL, NBA, even NASCAR, GOLF – yep they are talk poop. And they don’t say fine Im quitting.

I welcome you into a very frustrating hobby which is full of fun and disappointment. Its not easy to get the hang of it. Once I got my 2.0 I DNFed every race for 2 month – working all the bugs out the truck, you talk about frustration, try driving for 8 hours to get to a race and your car break in the first qualifier and no one has any parts…….

Stop complaining and as questions, we will probably get off topic but you will get the answer – the key is not to take everything to heart.
i like the way he this is put! ...im not a grown man tho.. but i got a job to pay for my sh!t..that shoud count
~MUGGIFIED Lst-xxl
reggie l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie l. View Post
i like the way he this is put! ...im not a grown man tho.. but i got a job to pay for my sh!t..that shoud count
Close enough... and we talk a lot of smack here too... I'm normally called "CTD" (crash test dummy) or "Captain Crash"

And even the race director bags on me. lol Why? Because they know I can take it, and I think it is funny as hell.

For that matter, even Carlton (the owner of RC Pro) was giving me crap... on the drivers stand... during the main. "Brad, you're doing really good at staying between the pipes... but you're supposed to stay in the WIDE section, not the little narrow ones..." (that was deserved... there was this one section that I just repeatedly kept landing a jump a little too far outside... lol)
Old 07-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #57
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
Close enough... and we talk a lot of smack here too... I'm normally called "CTD" (crash test dummy) or "Captain Crash"

And even the race director bags on me. lol Why? Because they know I can take it, and I think it is funny as hell.

For that matter, even Carlton (the owner of RC Pro) was giving me crap... on the drivers stand... during the main. "Brad, you're doing really good at staying between the pipes... but you're supposed to stay in the WIDE section, not the little narrow ones..." (that was deserved... there was this one section that I just repeatedly kept landing a jump a little too far outside... lol)
lol thats funny
~MUGGIFIED Lst-xxl
reggie l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 AM   #58
Tech Elite

I agree with you guys, believe me, no one dishes it out more than me on the Caster forums.....

I also agree 100% that everything you guys are saying about the guys that help, etc.... I definitely believe that to be true.

My only point was when there is a guy that is post #1 getting attacked especially when it was apparent he was frustrated. That is all. I just don't want that guy or girl to decide to jump from the hobby alltogether right off the bat.

Some new people might take it the wrong way, some might not. However, when you solve his problem and he replies on post 3 or 4 as to thanks for the help.......lol.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #59
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

LMAO!! Narrow part! That's where I drive to, but I try doing
it upsidedown!! Ha ha!
"I know I can't drive!! You still ACT like you can!!"
JPierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
I agree with you guys, believe me, no one dishes it out more than me on the Caster forums.....

I also agree 100% that everything you guys are saying about the guys that help, etc.... I definitely believe that to be true.

My only point was when there is a guy that is post #1 getting attacked especially when it was apparent he was frustrated. That is all. I just don't want that guy or girl to decide to jump from the hobby alltogether right off the bat.

Some new people might take it the wrong way, some might not. However, when you solve his problem and he replies on post 3 or 4 as to thanks for the help.......lol.

I got you bud, but in the same - I never got picked on UNTIL I was flustred - but like you said,"Some new people might take it the wrong way, some might not."