R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default shock rebuilding and setup??????

hello all,

im fairly new to the sport. i am in dire need to know some tips about rebuilding my shocks. how should the compression and rebound be? what is the proper and easiest way to bleed the shocks properly? does anybody use the losi shock tool? is it worth the 25 bucks? i have my second actual race...first pro race this weekend in topeka, ks.

i would like to be as competitive as possible, so i need my suspension up to par. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
shaun
busaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Tech Adept

oh yea i have a losi 8ight 1.0 buggy.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Tech Elite

I would look in the manuel and follow the instructions - I run full rebound and dont bleed my shocks. they wont compress all the way,
Old 07-06-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
I would look in the manuel and follow the instructions - I run full rebound and dont bleed my shocks. they wont compress all the way,
why do that? then you lose suspension travel?

instructions just dont tell you the proper way to bleed the shocks
Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by busaboy View Post
why do that? then you lose suspension travel?

instructions just dont tell you the proper way to bleed the shocks
Your shocks will not bottom out regardless, I got that from Drake and a few other Factory Team Drivers.

When you compress there should be about a half to a quatrer inch of shaft -and without the spring on - the shaft should come all the way out by itself
Old 07-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

yeah ive watched Truhe build his shocks, and he does not bleed them at all...
Old 07-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by busaboy View Post
hello all,

im fairly new to the sport. i am in dire need to know some tips about rebuilding my shocks. how should the compression and rebound be? what is the proper and easiest way to bleed the shocks properly? does anybody use the losi shock tool? is it worth the 25 bucks? i have my second actual race...first pro race this weekend in topeka, ks.

i would like to be as competitive as possible, so i need my suspension up to par. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
shaun
This is a good place to start the Losi tool works but you could easily do what it does compress them together and feeling watching them.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rixBJu93Qyw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rixBJu93Qyw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixBJu93Qyw

***Team Terribles***Answer RC USA/Torco Race fuel

Last edited by last; 07-06-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: add link
last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Default Shocks

Pull shaft all the way down to the bottom and then fill with fluid. Work the piston up and down to work air from under neath piston. Let the shock sit for a few minutes so the air will come up to the top, just depends on how thick the fluid. Remove the bladder from the cap, being careful to not tear it. Top the shock off completely with fluid. Then lightley set the bladder on top of the shock and press down lightley so bladder sits flush on top of shock ( A little fluid should come out) then install cap on top and tighten. Shock should rebound fully when compressed. I would try big holes up front with 40 to 45 weight fluid and small holes in rear with 27.5 to 30 in rear. If its above 90 this weekend go with the heavier fluid. Also bring some AKA cross braces they work awesome at Topeka. Other than that stock set up should work pretty good. If you want some help I will be there this weekend, just look for a white chevy truck names Chris. Oh save your money on the shock tool for now. Ill have one you can use if it makes you feel better.
67chevy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:22 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Busaboy, the topeka track will require very little rebound. Same with the tracks around here. If you build them with full rebound it ends up tearing the upper shock bladder. Then your car is S.O.L. till you refresh them. For the rough tracks around here I'd suggest between 1/8" to half-travel rebound. I'm not sure why but the tracks around here tear up the bladders if you have a bit too much oil in the shocks.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #10
Tech Adept

thanks guys. i have redone my shocks and i was able to get them with little rebound this time. is this the "cool" chris giving me help?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #11
Tech Regular

...i run ZERO rebound in my 1.0. i learned this trick from an old pro, but it settled my car down a bunch! to compensate i went with all green springs, thinking about going to a stronger rear spring. it's really up to personal preference. i like the feel of my car but some others guys don't (other losi drivers LOL). i'd say try one way, the next time you rebuild, try another, take notes and choose in a couple months lol
Old 07-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Default Shocks

Nope this is not Cool. I forgot he drives a white Chevy too. Like the other guy said try them both ways. I've raced at Topeka several times this year with my old Losi 1.0, have quite a few 28 sec. laps with it and real consitant 29s WHEN I do my part LMAO. If you want I'll help you when you get up there. I just know as a beginner you dont always land the jumps right and drive the smoothest lines every lap. The full rebound seems to help the car land better and handle the big bumps better. I still havent seen a car get through the whoops up there better than mine, of course thats just one part of the track. Look me up when you get there. I'll probably be around Cool.
67chevy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

so how do you adjust the amount of rebound when you assemble(freshen up)the shocks
ovalosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm not Chris "Cool" either. I'm just Chris. I have to settle for chasing Cool around the track. I'm pretty sure he won truggy last time up at Topeka. I can't remember who won buggy.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
Tech Adept

i need to do whatever is going to give me the most pop off the jump. i ALWAYS seem to come up short on doubles. i got a better engine and i still dont seem to get the pop alot of the racers seem to be getting. thier cars seem to have springs under them and min just flys straight ahead instead of up. i went out again today in wichita to practice and my buggy never seems to fly far enough. i know traction is an issue here, however many other drivers have no problems clearing the jumps. just not me.

thanks for the help guys.