R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road-130/)
-   -   Nitro Fuel, Anything to stay away from? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-off-road/309515-nitro-fuel-anything-stay-away.html)

FactoryRacing23 07-04-2009 01:18 PM

Nitro Fuel, Anything to stay away from?

Hey guys I am new to the Nitro cars and was just wondering if there is any nitro fuel on the market I should stay away from. I was at the LHS today and there were quite a few brands. I didn't buy any of it because I dont know what to stay away from. I am gonna be buying a few gallons of the Torco fuel tomorrow. Just some information for the future.

Thanks, Nick

Jaz240 07-04-2009 01:28 PM

Stick to Torco, or Byrons..I heard Sidewinder has a bad batch of fuel circulating but not sure if any of it is still out there. Blue thunder and traxxas fuel stinks.

Odonnell fuel is good, but sometimes hard to get

pete 26 07-04-2009 03:01 PM

Can't go wrong with Torco,Byron's,Maxy's,JAC,WERKS,Cold Fusion or O DONELL.These are what I have used over the last several years and all are quality products.It's best to stick with one brand and learn it's tuning characteristics.Good luck.

jhipps835 07-04-2009 03:24 PM

+1 on Byrons.

FactoryRacing23 07-04-2009 03:38 PM

Jaz are you gonna be out at ET tomorrow? I am gonna pick up some torco out there.

JPierson 07-04-2009 03:42 PM

+ 1 O'donnell I run 20%

wingracer 07-04-2009 03:42 PM

He didn't ask what fuel to run, he asked what to stay away from :D So here goes.

1. Any fuel in a rusty metal can (I have seen this on hobby shop shelves and the people who buy it usually quit RC)

2. Petroleum products like gasoline, diesel, kerosene, etc. Believe it or not, there is always someone trying to run gasoline in a glow engine.

3. Airplane and helicopter fuel. Stick with the car stuff.

4. Anything with less than 16% or more than 30% nitro. Yes, you could run more or less but don't try it until you really know what you are doing.

Finally, if you want a recommendation, I just switched to Maxy and it's the best fuel I have ever used.

Adim_X 07-04-2009 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 6023468)
Stick to Torco, or Byrons..I heard Sidewinder has a bad batch of fuel circulating but not sure if any of it is still out there. Blue thunder and traxxas fuel stinks.

Are you freaking serious? Your gonna recommend a fuel thats been out for 3 weeks over proven brands such as blue thunder and sidewinder. Why dont you mention the bad torco batch. I dont care what bs that company put out, there was bad fuel. Blue thunder is great fuel, that was developed by Ron Paris, but I guess he doesnt know , about these little engines.

wingracer 07-04-2009 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Adim_X (Post 6023777)
Are you freaking serious? Your gonna recommend a fuel thats been out for 3 weeks over proven brands such as blue thunder and sidewinder. Why dont you mention the bad torco batch. I dont care what bs that company put out, there was bad fuel. Blue thunder is great fuel, that was developed by Ron Paris, but I guess he doesnt know t, about these little engines.

I would agree, I used to run Blue Thunder long ago and it was great. The only problem was that the bottles were not the greatest so the stuff could go bad on you if you didn't race all the time. The new bottles look better but I haven't run it. I also don't like fuel with dyes in it (I hate green pistons :D) but that's just me. It is not a problem.

rossoh10 07-04-2009 03:54 PM

Torco Torco Torco Torco Torco

Any one tired of hearing it yet

Yeah they had a problem.....Notice I said HAD

Every comany has had a problenm early on with some

OS had bearing problems,Losi was eating servos..Not just the thottle either

Mugen had a bad batch of clutch springs

A lot of people has had problems with something..I do feel bad for the people that get affected by the issues but that`s the luck of the draw..There are growing pains for companies

For a good starter fuel I would say anything name brand with 11% oil 20% nitro

I heard that Torco was going to stick with a race blend with lower oil content and the 11% oil content will be replaced by it

jpz_67 07-04-2009 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jaz240 (Post 6023468)

To my disbelief there is definitely some bad SW going around. Here in D F/W folks were getting really frustrated trying to figure out why there motors would not run. Finally narrowed it down to the fuel. A minor set back though as I would still say Sw is one of the best fuels out there. Running Odonnell until this is over.

torco race fuel 07-04-2009 04:18 PM

Torco

Hey Nick,
I will make sure we get you tuned good, I my self and 8 or so racers that run torco will be out there to help you out. If you dont run torco my team guys that run torco will still help you out tomorrow no matter what you run if you need it. But I promise you you will be very happy with the power, lube and motor running cool even in this heat if you run torco..

We have not been out for only 3 weeks? Not sure where you get your info but torco has been producing race fuels for over 30 years now, and the rc fuels have been 3 years in the making including dyno work and multiple tear downs on beat up engines to make sure they are lubed correctly, Yes we did have a capping issue, now we have heat sealed bottles so it will never be an issue again. We have 30% nitro thats pure nitro, and 10% oil, its about the best you can get. I am not one to bash other companies so I wont but I will say you wont be happy with blue thunder out here when its 110 degrees. There is a BIG bad batch of sidewinder going around so becareful.

Steven Davis
(480) 242-6326
www.torco.com

AZrcdriver 07-04-2009 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Adim_X (Post 6023777)
Are you freaking serious? Your gonna recommend a fuel thats been out for 3 weeks over proven brands such as blue thunder and sidewinder. Why dont you mention the bad torco batch. I dont care what bs that company put out, there was bad fuel. Blue thunder is great fuel, that was developed by Ron Paris, but I guess he doesnt know shit, about these little engines.

While I myself have not yet run Torco fuel I know many who have and will continue to do so. I will be trying it next time I need fuel.

There has only been 1 person that I know of that supposedly had a problem with the Torco fuel. This same person refused to ship the so called bad fuel back at Torco's expense so they could test it. If there really was such a problem why would he not be willing to send it back to Torco.

So who are you going to believe. I myself go with the many people I know running the fuel and not someone on the otherside of a keyboard talking smack. This is why I normally stay out of back and forth talks like this one.

I have run Sindwinder fuel without issue yet but I do know of many that have had problems lately.

Adim_X 07-04-2009 05:05 PM

I guess Torco has been perfect and no other fuel can even compare to the arizona heat. You heard it hear right from the master blender. He doesnt mean to bash, but blue thunder and sidewinder are not acceptable in his opinion. Good luck with your fuel! I gotta find something more suitable for my weather conditions.

moparsrule 07-04-2009 05:42 PM

Hey look...someone else who has never ran the fuel bashing torco, big surprise.