R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 8ight 2.0 RTR - Throttle Linkage and return spring

Got in my 8ight 2.0 RTR a couple weeks ago and went through it completely checking all set-ups. Noticed it came with throttle return spring (TRS) installed on the Losi 350. After breaking it in - Used the throttle setup from the Losi tips and tricks section of their website, which sets up the throttle end of the servo horn tipped in towards the carb (not parallel with the body of the servo). This definitely cuts down on the amount that the servo horn contacts (and raises the body) from the RTR set up position. Neutral deadplays, EPA's and braking set up. Then test ran. Noticed after a tank or two the servo would not pull the linkage to full travel and it was even slight hard to pull the throttle linkage by hand with the TRS on. Removed the TRS and it operates freely and great now. (And to prevent any confusion, the TRS is the one that gets attached to the high speed needle side and hooks onto the ball end of the carb slide, not the spring that is on the throttle linkage rod.) My 8T never had one and never had any issue with them. Also have the servo set to go to full brake in case of low power/interference situations. I know that this will not stop a runaway in case of battery disconnect or linkage breakage.

Just some info on the 8ight 2.0 linkages/setup and will follow up on anyone's thoughts/experiences.
b1alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to DiaRh34

Like so?

Gonna try this out tommarow
DiaRh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Your throttle linkage is adjusted wrong. Let me get some pictures of my car....

EDIT: That if if I can find my camera.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Tech Addict

How so?
Old 07-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaRh34 View Post
How so?
The linkage should be pointing in a bit when at brake, and out a bit when at WOT. At half throttle the linkage should be straight. Also look at your throttle linkage from your right rear tire and see if it is straight from an up/down perspective.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Old 07-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Got any pictures to show what you're talking about?Kinda confused
Old 07-03-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Throttle linkage setup per Losi. (Do a search for "lositechtips" on google and it should be the first item) I can't post a link yet b/c I don't have enough posts. I'll get some pics of mine up after i was done.

Your pic compared to mine - the throttle end of my servo horn is a little further in towards the carb but could just be the angle of the pic. I see that you don't have the carb return spring on it. Did you remove it like me?
Old 07-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaRh34 View Post
Got any pictures to show what you're talking about?Kinda confused
Can't seem to find it. Hope I didnt leave my Sony Cybershot 10MP at the track.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
Tech Master

I found the camera in the trunk and took pictures. Now I am uploading.....

Old 07-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Tech Master

Here are the pictures.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:04 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Neutral position on mine, as per Losi techtips (see post above). So has anyone used this setup per Losi? And has anyone used the carb return spring or ditched it from their 8 2.0 RTR?
Attached Thumbnails
8ight 2.0 RTR - Throttle Linkage and return spring-img_5448.jpg  
Old 07-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1alan View Post
Neutral position on mine, as per Losi techtips (see post above). So has anyone used this setup per Losi? And has anyone used the carb return spring or ditched it from their 8 2.0 RTR?
Look at my last picture and see if your linkage is straight. If it is, leave it alone, or change it to my way if you want. I haven't burned a servo in a couple months with this type of linkage. I wouldn't use the carb return spring as it decreases battery life.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

you need a return spring, if your bat get disconnected its going wot, but i wouldnt use a spring, use a rubber band, the rubber bands girls use for there hair works great.

Byron Fuels/AKA Tires/Radiopost/TKO/Viper Rc/Dialed Inc/Empire Metal Product/Advantage Racing Products
losi_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

hi,

My first post here probably...I've been looking around for eight and eight t miscellaneous info and I bumped into this...and like to share my 2cents as well.

The way I've setup the linkage could be kind of peculiar, as I've never read the manual (just vertically scanned the pictures for useful info but none for me there).

The way I have it never caused a problem for me, either bash or race day for a long time now....

1. On your regular setup, loosen up the carb screw that is holding the carb into the crankcase. Far enough to be able to give it a play with your hand or even remove it for the setup.
2. activate your electronics and pull on your throttle trigger. You will notice that the servo pulls the carb barrel out in an angle consequently turning your lose carb body as well. The position that the carb stops at end point is your neutral.
3. Tighten your screws up and its ready.
4. In regards with the throttle return spring, its always best to use one in case of power disconnection..BUT...you need to have really strong servos to be able to move that sucker, which means high power drain and expensive servos....So just do a good job on your wiring and discard the spring.
5. For both servos, throttle and steering always make sure to use the plastic brackets/bases provided with the servo. The chassis is really tight and this little things will give you enough clearance at the servo body. If not your servo will work under constant restraint until it snaps....

Hope the above is helpful...
tasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by losi_racer View Post
you need a return spring, if your bat get disconnected its going wot, but i wouldnt use a spring, use a rubber band, the rubber bands girls use for there hair works great.
+1. I have a generic rubber band. Dont even remeber where I got it. Its been on my car for a year and a half.
Broke a throttle servo horn one time and it just cruise to a stop about 20 ft away. Back in the day I had a run away and it hit a little girl... I felt raelly bad and ever since then, I never run without some sort of return device.
Jerm13 is offline   Reply With Quote