R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 07-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Clutch Bell Breakage

Myself and two friends went out to our local track this morning. We all have Losi 8ight 1.0 buggies, purchased new late last year. Since we only race together, all three vehicles have the same amount of run time on them.

Our one buddy broke two clutch bell gears today. The gear appears have split in half in both instances. This problem has not happened to myself or my other buddy. When the first gear broke, and we replace it with a new gear we verified that we properly set the gear mesh.

To clear a series of jumps on the track where there is a double jump and immediately followed by a triple jump, he has a tendency off the double jump just before the buggy lands to bunch to wide open throttle so that he can clear the triple jump.

In this area of the track, he is much more aggresive than myself and my other buddy. Do you think his driving style is contributing to the breakage?

This is the only thing that we can tell is different between our setups is his driving style.

Thanks for your response.
tk1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What clutch bell did you use? On Losi's you need to set the gear mesh looser than mosst cars for chassis flex. The only time I ate up a clutch bell when the motor mount screws came out.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

I did forget to mention that the first clutch bell that broke, he did loose two of the motor mount screws. However, we replaced the motor screws along with the new clutch bell. The second time it broke in the same manner as the first but this time all of the motor screws were tight.

It was the clutch bell that comes standard with the Losi. Gear mesh was set using a piece of paper between the gears.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hard to describe gear mesh on the internet. When motors come loose the clutch bell is what usually pays the price. Mesh on the losi does need to be set loose as stated above. I don't use paper so can't say how loose that is. Nitro mesh is far looser than any electric.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:31 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by marccaracer View Post
Hard to describe gear mesh on the internet. When motors come loose the clutch bell is what usually pays the price. Mesh on the losi does need to be set loose as stated above. I don't use paper so can't say how loose that is. Nitro mesh is far looser than any electric.
I just followed the directions for setting the gear mesh according to Losi's instruction manual.

Noticed your location, home of the Ringling Brothers, was just there several weeks ago on vacation to the Dells. Went to the mueseum and stopped to eat at Monk's Bar/Grill.
Old 07-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For my Losi's I've learned to set gear mesh looser than Losi specs. And still I had a clutch bell (gear section) break apart into multiple pieces. I did notice (from my 8 2.0) that Losi came out with a "High Endurance" clutch bell LOSA9126 (for the 13t) and if you look at the pic for that one as compared to the LOSA9116 (old style 13T) there is rework between where the gear section and the bell section meet. I looks that the beefed it up.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
dlb
Tech Initiate

I would have checked the Spur Gear. If it broke when the motor dismounted it self.
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I like the robinson racing clutch bells. They weight the same as the losi stock CB's and they last longer. I have had the new 2.0 losi CB's warp from heat and otherwise not perform very well. I have never had one break though. How is the rest of the drivetrain. Is it binding at all and how are the spider gears in the center diff? Something is causing an excessive amount of force into the CB. They just dont break for no reason especially 2 in a row.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:28 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

This has also happend to a friend of me. More than one time. Our theory is that small stones grabs between the chassis and the clutch bell, causing it to breake
Old 07-05-2009, 02:10 AM   #10
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Interesting theory on the small stones breaking the bell. Never seen one break myself yet.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:13 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

The breakage is coming from the chassis flex. If you friend also has a tendency to case the triple or land on flat ground instead of a proper downside it is harder on the car and causes more flex which will break the clutch bell with an improper gap. Use the robertson racing clutch bells they are stronger and last longer. They are also the same price if not cheaper than the losi part.
Associated B6
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I use the extended king headz engine mount to prevent chassis flex around the CB and spur gear. So far I haven't had a cb break may be its because the extended engine mount and the less flex in the center issue.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:16 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
I use the extended king headz engine mount to prevent chassis flex around the CB and spur gear. So far I haven't had a cb break may be its because the extended engine mount and the less flex in the center issue.
+1

I used to run an 8ight and it ate clutchbells like candy... got the King Headz mount, ran the mesh a little looser, problem solved. The King Headz mount ALSO allows you to "flip" the rails and run "standard" (i.e. Mugen, Xray, Racers Edge, etc) clutchbells, however, clearance between the carb slide and center diff top plate is marginal then. (That is what I ended up doing anyway- at that time, Losi parts were hard to get here... now they're probably the most common. lol)
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote