R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Default Question about Losi 8ight 2.0 RTR

Hello all,

I just charged my receiver battery last night and put it in the unit. When I turn it on, the tires turn a little to the left. As a result, when I run the buggy without touching the dial on the DX3S, the car turns left.

Where do I make adjustments to change the baseline so the wheels are straighter when I first tune the buggy on?
Garet Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That's your steering trim, and best bet would be to read through the whole radio manuel. Knowing your radio and how to adjust settings such as these is crucial.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
That's your steering trim, and best bet would be to read through the whole radio manuel. Knowing your radio and how to adjust settings such as these is crucial.
I like to adjust subtrim instead of steering trim so you don't have to adjust your endpoints. Adjusting steering trim alone cost me a Futaba S9350 servo a couple months ago.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
Tech Adept

WHAT YOU CAN ALSO DO IS TAKE THE SCREW OUT OF THE SERVO TURN ON YOUR CONTROLER AND RECIEVER MAKE THE WHEELS STRAIGHT AND SCREW IT BACK IN. THIS WILL KEEP IT STRAIGHT WITHOUT LOSING STEERING
halfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Thanks for the quick replies. I tried using both trim and sub trim, but the tires are still pointing left. What I do to test it is turn the buggy and DX3S off. I then turn them both on and look at the direction of the tires without touching the dial. Sometimes I even adjust the direction of the tires when the buggy is turned off. If I do this, the tires reposition themselves to the incorrect position when it is turned back on.

What is the difference between the trim and sub trim and how is changing them supposed to manifest itself in the buggy and its use?

Thanks.
Garet Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Trim and sub trim both adjust the neutral setting of the servo. If you aren't getting enough adjustment out of those, you will need to pull the steering servo horn off of the servo and adjust it so that the wheels will point straight with the servo on and all trims set to neutral. You may not be able to get the wheels perfectly straight this way because there are only so many positions in which the horn will go on. To solve this, go back to your steering trim and fine tune it. Once you get the wheels straight, set your travel/end points so that the wheels turn all of the way in both directions, but the servo isn't trying to push the wheels farther than they will go. Once you get to that point back both sides off a couple of ticks so that you don't stress the servo.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

center your servo with trim and subtrim at 0, put the servo horn on it. turn the radio on. if still pointing left make adjustments to your steering links until your wheels look pretty straight. take it outside and drive it on a flat surface. without steering the car see if it drifts to one side. If so, then adjust your trim and subtrim to correct it.