Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Motor dilemma. What would you choose and why? >

Motor dilemma. What would you choose and why?

Motor dilemma. What would you choose and why?

Old 06-30-2009, 06:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vnmsgt
Someone in another forum brought up the new Odonnell .21 motor and says it is pretty good. Anybody know? Also nobody knows anything of the Reedy motor. Looks pretty sweet. Thanks for the info guys. So far it seems like a ninja but am still undecided.
There was a team O'Donnell guy that went through 2 motors this weekend and the other team driver couldn't make 5 mins. But everyone under the O'Donnell engine thread loves it and has other opinions.

I have the Reedy motor and love it, its super smooth. Its a quite motor and a little different to tune. I opened one up last night and the internals are very well designed. I like the thicker o-ring on the back plate, that's a big plus to stop air leaks. Also the carb bolts on just like "real" carbs do. The head button is huge in diameter to keep the heat down. These motor do like to run 250-265 range.

Last edited by JoeyTheRocket; 06-30-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Chris, go with the Ninja, best motor I've ran sence a speed, it is a little softer than a Vspec on the bottom but spools up very fast and super smooth.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Tech Champion

Clockwork Jammin JPX .21.......once I am done you will have no issues with any part of the engine..other then having to re-adjust your driving for all the extra power it will have...
Old 06-30-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

The Reedy is a smooth engine. I have been watching 2 run since early April. Stop don't tell me they just came out a month ago cause I know. Team drivers at my track have had them since early spring. As far as power they are good. Longevity would be my question hard to really judge an engine thats only been out a month or so.

Actually no the carb on the Jammin is not the same. It actually uses more composites to dissipate heat more efficiently. It is based on the picco.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pete 26
VNMST,you should go with the EPIC"Trinity".24.Their relocating just a few miles from your house.Thier Factory drivers are at alot of races you attend so support and tuning advice would be available.Those were some of the fastest motors on the track this weekend......My Caster Grenade "Go tech 5 port" w/ 086 pipe smoked 'em all though.Started in 7th, had the lead by the third turn and pulled away from every pro truck there and lead every lap until my diff went.That Grenade is a freak of nature.Crushes motors that cost three times as much.
Actually I just got off the phone with Trinity. I think Joe Labon ran this motor this weekend and it looked good considering he still had a small air leak in his tank. Your grenade was sick Pete! Also thanks for letting me borrow your extra one. If not for that I would have went home lol.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
so, after running go-tech for so long, why the switch?
You ever get that feeling it is time to move on? I like the price of the motors and the performance but everyone always talks about the higher $$ motors and how much better they are. So for once I am gonna give it a try. I have driven a V-spec and I saw how smooth is was! Don't get me wrong, the GO's have awesome power (and I always used the stock carbs with no problems) but not the smoothness I would like that the V-spec had. I honestly think that would make me 2-3 seconds a lap faster as that is how I like to drive, very smooth.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeyTheRocket
There was a team O'Donnell guy that went through 2 motors this weekend and the other team driver couldn't make 5 mins. But everyone under the O'Donnell engine thread loves it and has other opinions.

I have the Reedy motor and love it, its super smooth. Its a quite motor and a little different to tune. I opened one up last night and the internals are very well designed. I like the thicker o-ring on the back plate, that's a big plus to stop air leaks. Also the carb bolts on just like "real" carbs do. The head button is huge in diameter to keep the heat down. These motor do like to run 250-265 range.
Your so gullible.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Don't go expecting anyone to tell you to run anything other then a vspec or ninja from a group of people who only run that. If you want smooth get a rb.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (88%+)

For the price of a standard v-spec, i don't think you can beat it. Run times is good, power is great and are very smooth. I just got done breaking in my reedy in my truggy and so far i love it, has some serious power and is very smooth. As for the ninja, also an awesome mill, and they scream. Extech, i've seen run, but wasn't all that impressed for a .24, fuel consumption was a little high and power was unimpressive.

I guess what i'm saying is if you have it narrowed down to these, go with one of the .21s and pick the one that matches your scheme the best LOL. blue, slate, or midnight blue....
Old 06-30-2009, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

[QUOTE=golferdude1971;6004718]Your so gullible.[/QUOTE

check your mail....
Old 06-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Toro nero is very smooth........
Old 07-01-2009, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Well it will either be the Extech or the V-spec for me. I will be running a Sirio this weekend to try it out since the extech is similiar and basically a sirio. The Ninja is backordered till august and I cannot wait that long with the RC PRO series starting up this month.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

Chris you should get the .24 race tuned Extech and get a good throttle servo.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Chris you should get the .24 race tuned Extech and get a good throttle servo.
Throttle servo very soon Pete.... That's all I need now, good motor and fast throttle servo and should be good to go. Guess I am gonna have to retire the ole' 645mg lol. It just won't quit.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

VNMST,you should go with the EPIC"Trinity".24.Their relocating just a few miles from your house.Thier Factory drivers are at alot of races you attend so support and tuning advice would be available.Those were some of the fastest motors on the track this weekend......My Caster Grenade "Go tech 5 port" w/ 086 pipe smoked 'em all though.Started in 7th, had the lead by the third turn and pulled away from every pro truck there and lead every lap until my diff went.That Grenade is a freak of nature.Crushes motors that cost three times as much.
Is that the one with the Orange head ?
My boy ran a Redline ( GO) and won just about every race with it until he hit the 13th gallon. Best motor he ever had and would smoke a V-Spec any day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.