Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Why is traxxas so much better than OFNA? >

Why is traxxas so much better than OFNA?

Why is traxxas so much better than OFNA?

Old 07-01-2009, 03:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

hi sokar, i own a hyper 7, 8 and jus brought the 9. they are all great cars and great bashers.

I had the same problem with the pull-starter and steering knuckles.

pull-start - change to a starter box or bump start.
Steering knuckles - change it to the CNC steering knuckles.

it may cost more with the CNC steering knuckles, but is worth it. The steering knuckles is the same for hyper 7, 8, 8.5 and ST.
After both had been change, u will have great fun with this car, This car is not fragile. trust me.
I didn't broke any parts so far...

Have fun !
Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Espeefan
Get yourself a starter box (same thing as a bump box) and half your problem will be taken care of. I've had pull starts, roto-starts, and now I run starter boxes exclusively. I'll never go back! The starter box is the most reliable way to fire up any nitro machine. It gets rid of the one way bearing, which is prone to fail at the worst time, and makes starts quick and easy.

It almost sounds to me like your lack of experience is making the path hard to travel. An engine with a poor tune can be a real bear to start, especially with a pull starter, and I don't doubt that contributes to a shortened pull start life.

As for the engine mount, you should always loosely start the screws on any piece, which has more then one screw, by hand, and then when they are all started, plus nice and straight (no cross threading), then you can go ahead and tighten them down evenly, following a criss cross pattern.

Keep working at it, and you'll get things figured out. We all break parts at some point or another.
Let me clear something up. The pull start didn't break while I was pulling it, otherwise I wouldn't be that mad because it was my fault. The cord snapped and the handle fell off in the middle of a run. I've never had that happen before.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pdmustgt
Amazing part blame the car but they don't tell what they may have done wrong. I ran monster truck for years I've seen many who pull the cord out too far but blame the engine go figure. Why would anyone take the engine to mount screws out so the nuts can fall out. have fun getting them all back in place. You end up taking the mounts off and putting them on the engine. You be better off taking the mounts off. So you have to readjust the bell to spur gear clearance no big deal to do.
See my above post. I did not abuse the pull start.

And the engine mount sure was tough, because on this mount it had not only the two nuts but a plate that went on top of them, preventing me from doing the usual method. Otherwise I would've.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tristyn
Honestly, what you do if you want to get rid of alot of the little constant problems is dump the rtr. Buy a pro kit, do a little research before build to find its week points and purchase a few hop ups. Install quality servo's, receiver, engine, pipe, one piece motor mount ,clutch and bump box. If you clean and maintane you should be good to go anytime you wish.
I honestly would love to, but I'm not made of money. I'll upgrade things here and there down the line, but I can hardly afford a pro car right now. At the moment I'm eyeing some higher torque steering servos.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Adept

Now I just found out that my steering servo is lunched. -_- This keeps getting better and better.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sokar
Let me clear something up. The pull start didn't break while I was pulling it, otherwise I wouldn't be that mad because it was my fault. The cord snapped and the handle fell off in the middle of a run. I've never had that happen before.

I would bet it didn't just snap. It most likely got caught on something and rubbed through or hit the exhaust and burned through.

I never ran a pull start but worked on a buddy's and they need to be rewound in tight and handle kept secured some way when running or they can be pulled out to show the cord and you will not know it.

They can be easily fixed when you open them up.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

I cannot say you abused anything because I wasn't there. I do know that most pull start cords do not sponaniously self destruct though. Perhaps it was assembled poorly or was damaged and didn't let go until after the engine was started but there was definately something that happened to cause that cord to fail.

This isn't directed at you specifically but I've found the number one cause of failed pull starts is operator inexperiance. Many times the engine is not tuned right causing it to be harder to start and this leads to pull start issues. Whether it is too lean so that the engine is constantly flaming out and thus requireing multiple restarts or that it gets flooded and the user continues to try and start it, 99/100 the failed pull-starts I've seen were caused by someone not understanding why their engine was being so difficult to start.

As for AZ's advice, if the pull start handle can easily come out to allow the string to show the pull start is not assembled correctly. While they can get caught on things it is uncommon and the spring should have enough tension to keep the handle firmly in place.

Sokar, while I know you don't have a ton of money to put into this car, you may want to listen to these guys that are telling you to upgrade those steering nuckles. Spending the money on those parts now will probably save you money and frustration later on. Good luck and enjoy your car.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Now I just found out that my steering servo is lunched. -_- This keeps getting better and better.
Dude. It might be time to step back and re-think things. EVERYONE told you the servo would go and it did. When you started to play with the buggy's you start spending money. Just that simple. It is what it is. If you think your spending money now, try 'copters or plains. Heck, go run a small block hot-rod. All we ask is don't get shitty about this hobby 'cause it's great when it all works out. HAVE FUN
Old 07-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thats pretty much the #1 thing that goes out, rtr servos, they are not that bad but since either the rtr radio doesn't have epa or the user doesn't know how to set epa. They just tweak some knobs so that it would make the car turn max regardless if its past the physical movable distance servo can go. That definitely burns a servo real fast.

Anyways I have a hyper 8.5 pro kit. When I bought it I bought another used roller just for parts and I haven't had to replace any broken parts. I feel like I wasted money on the extra roller I bought. So far I've replaced the shocks to the big bore shocks and tires 'cause of normal ware n' tare.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

furthermore.... rtr always have cheapy parts, thats why they can afford to sell the same car with engine/electronics/radio/tires for less than the pro kit. So if you pay more you pay once and with rtr you keep on paying until you upgrade everything to pro specs. at that point you end up with a rtr converted pro at about double the price of the original pro kit and a whole bunch of frustration and time spent waiting on parts.

Right now your best bet is to replace stuff thats broken with the pro quality ones and I'd suggest to take apart the whole buggy and put it back together while locktiting every metal to metal screw. That would get you familiar with your buggy and it would prevent stuff from falling off in the future.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AZrcdriver
I would bet it didn't just snap. It most likely got caught on something and rubbed through or hit the exhaust and burned through.

I never ran a pull start but worked on a buddy's and they need to be rewound in tight and handle kept secured some way when running or they can be pulled out to show the cord and you will not know it.

They can be easily fixed when you open them up.
I got a sliced up right hand that says otherwise. Pull starts are anything but easy to wind up.

I took your advice and ordered a pair of higher quality aluminum steering knuckles instead of that cast iron crap, and I just bought and installed a super-torque hi-tec metal gear steering servo. As for the starting mechanism, I just invented my own (I call it the "ghetto start". Its not easy but it works.). I only got about $30 left in the piggy bank, which is probably not enough for a starter box. I'm only 16, and even though I have a job I still need to be thinking about bigger things such as college, which unfortunately means no Baja 5Bs for me. In the mean time, a little super strength super glue is holding the steering knuckle together. It was only the ring where the bottom screw screws into that cracked, not the actual knuckle itself

Last edited by sokar; 07-01-2009 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Sounds like you could use a Savage truck.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I got a sliced up right hand that says otherwise. Pull starts are anything but easy to wind up.

I took your advice and ordered a pair of higher quality aluminum steering knuckles instead of that cast iron crap, and I just bought and installed a super-torque hi-tec metal gear steering servo. As for the starting mechanism, I just invented my own (I call it the "ghetto start". Its not easy but it works.). I only got about $30 left in the piggy bank, which is probably not enough for a starter box. I'm only 16, and even though I have a job I still need to be thinking about bigger things such as college, which unfortunately means no Baja 5Bs for me. In the mean time, a little super strength super glue is holding the steering knuckle together. It was only the ring where the bottom screw screws into that cracked, not the actual knuckle itself
hey sokar. What ever you do, don't get discouraged. I am 33 and i made sure i found out the proper way to do everything (in other words i asked a TON of questions). I have a pro kit (and i LOL at whoever said you should have got one) and at first everything would go wrong, but i just kept on going even when i wanted to quit. and now all the kinks are worked out. I know how to set a perfect gear mesh (busted a clutch), can tune a engine very well (blew one of those up). Got the right mufler (believe it or not i blew up a muffler! long story). found out how to set end points on my servos (fryed a steering servo) Dude i even put a piston in backwards. I work very hard for my money, and don't have that much to spend, so when something did break it made it even more frustrating so i know how you feel. so don't feel bad. Some people on here think some questions are stupid, or you might ask to many, bla bla bla. I made it through! can adjust my diffs with proper fluids, clean bearings, adjust my ride height, camber, toe, kick, squat, droop, wheelbase, wing angle, clutch, gear ratio etc. I even had my own personal thread. My buggy runs great with no problems now and i can have it ready and prevent almost any from happening now, So i owe thanks to everyone on here really for helping me. If you ever need any help at all you pm me and if i dont' know the answer i will find out for you. I think it's great your saving for school. by the way, what is the ghetto start??

best of luck to you!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

So what I want to know is when you called OFNA like I suggested & gave you the phone # what did they say?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by butch man
So what I want to know is when you called OFNA like I suggested & gave you the phone # what did they say?
Lol what would they say? They said I needed new parts. lol.

The ghetto start involves using the insides of a pull start and using a string or your finger to rewind it yourself. I use a rusty wrench for the handle :P. I'm still looking to perfect it. I'll have more details later, I gotta go now. Thanks for the advice, 4006.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.