R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default OFNA buggies

I've been looking into 1/8 size buggies. What do everyone think about OFNA products? I'd like to race it this summer but for now just all around bashing. Any consideration, critics are welcome to speak as well. Thanks
sixtyone9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

hyper 9 is pretty cool, i saw one run in the pro series saturday and it won. i like it.
Oops my bad, you were in my line..
You just got passed.. IN THE AIR!!
Brad.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Their Hyper series buggies are geared toward racing (Hyper 7, Hyper 8, Hyper 8.5, Hyper 9). For bashing AND racing, the Hyper 7 is a good choice. It's older, but it's quite durable and performance doesn't mean anything when you first start out because you can't drive worth beans anyway.

The Hyper 8s are also very durable and should make a good dual-purpose buggy. Never understood why people would bash around with buggies though. The ground clearance sucks for that sort of thing.

Stay away from the Hyper 9 for bashing. That is strictly a race buggy, which generally means that some durability is compromised in favor of weight savings and other performance advantages.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
Their Hyper series buggies are geared toward racing (Hyper 7, Hyper 8, Hyper 8.5, Hyper 9). For bashing AND racing, the Hyper 7 is a good choice. It's older, but it's quite durable and performance doesn't mean anything when you first start out because you can't drive worth beans anyway.

The Hyper 8s are also very durable and should make a good dual-purpose buggy. Never understood why people would bash around with buggies though. The ground clearance sucks for that sort of thing.

Stay away from the Hyper 9 for bashing. That is strictly a race buggy, which generally means that some durability is compromised in favor of weight savings and other performance advantages.
Yeah, I wasn't going to drive the buggy too hard, just enough to get used to. I'd admit driving on a track is definitely something to get used to. Are All the hyper series buggies interchangeable in parts? So if i do go with a 7, would i be able to upgrade parts to a 9 if i really get into racing?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

some parts might be interchangable between the 7 and 8/8.5 but the 9 is a complete redesign.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Look into the Jammin x1 CR. Nitrohouse has the RTR one on sale for pretty cheap. It's still a competitive, durable well rounded buggy. I've been nothing but happy with my Jammins.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #7
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

+2 on the Jammin!!!!! Probably one of the most durable buggies out there
Old 06-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Tech Addict

+ 3 on the jammin. My son has been racing one since december, He is coming from motocross w/ a bad shoulder injury. I can't convince him to quit driving that buggy like it's his kx 250 f but it has really taken a beating & always comes back for more.
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUD View Post
+2 on the Jammin!!!!! Probably one of the most durable buggies out there
Jammin? So what's the difference between the hyper and jammin? Other than Jammin's being more durable.

Now i'm digging even deeper... So, How does OFNA Buggies pair up with AE, Losi, Mugen and Kyosho? Thanks guys, really a big help here!

Last edited by sixtyone9; 06-29-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Take a look at the Ofna Hyper 7 Black. I'm getting one from my LHS when I get the money. It's RTR and goes for about 300$.
PILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

The Jammin is imported by Ofna and is a rebranded "Hong Nor" truck/buggy.

The Hypers are imported by Ofna and it is a rebranded "Hobao" buggy.

They're completely different companies. I love my Jammins.

Jammin is comparable to losi, ae, ect..
Old 06-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

http://www.nitrohouse.com/catalog/pr...ducts_id=11156

$330, I'd much rather have that than the hyper 7 for $300, even though the hyper 7 black is a solid buggy. I'm using the hyper 21 out of a hyper black in my Truggy and it's doing fine pushing the 10lb landsled.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post

Agreed. I've got the Hyper 7 and I really like it. Tough as nails and once you become a better driver its fine for some club racing. Its not a super race buggy, but it does the trick for me; a top notch racing kit is not in my budget anyway. Its a good deal for what you get, the only weak points (as with just about all RTRs) are the stock electronics. They are still alright, but not great. I've got better servos on mine, a receiver pack, and a DX3S now and after about 7 or 8 gallons its still going strong. Only two things have broke and its taken a lot of abuse: the button head stripped out, but Ofna sent me a new button head and cooling head for free, and the wing mount broke. Its a good one for only $300.
Frozenshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Ah! the Hyper 7 a car that is has been running a long time in our series of cars, it's robust and can take the bashing beating, it a good entry to mid level car during it's time when it first came out it was a serious competitor and still is today but when current cars come out with changes you would go with the modern times. Hyper 7 still can keep to speed though with tweaking and some upgrades to go faster like engines,sway bars,springs and shock pakages, you'll love the durabilty and parts are still available including option parts, for it to a long running car in our line-up means it still have a place in the market for the consumer for a great buy for overall price, the engine is not to bad it leaves yearning for more power but that's an easy fix as an upgrade.

Jammin X1 and great car and a great thorobread of race car with it's stable driving and c-hub suspension makes it the car for the track great jump to jump car and can to those whoop sections with ease because of the 16mm shocks which are widely used on other cars being that our Jammin shock are the best on the market, shoot I even use them on my Hyper 9, the X1 is a great car to race my Jammin would only see the track and no other surfaces just because that's what it was bread for, of course mine was a pro and needed the engine(picco) and elecetronics to fead the beast (airtronics) and exhaust(JP-3) to get the car going. The RTR is also nice ride with all of the caracteristics of the pro but in place of some of the cnc parts will be plastic parts which will later needs those parts after a break(like the cnc rear toe plate)

Both are good cars to have but if your not looking to drop the bigs as of now then the Hyper 7 is your best bet.
-R2- is offline   Reply With Quote