R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-28-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BlackSS
Default Force .28 Problems. Please Help

I have a Force .28 in my Ofna Ravager with only about 3/4 of a gallon through it (20%). Ever since I first bought it, it would never start good at all. I never used it for a whole year and dug it out again this summer. I got it running after I cleaned the engine up and sealed it up. I runs great when it runs for the most part. It seems to act rich and when I lean it out a tiny bit it acts way too lean. I've played around with it a lot but when I get it running good it will just shut off and not start again.

It happened yesterday so I tore down the engine again. All looks good but there is barely any compression. With the head off I can turn the engine over and not really feel any resistance near the top of the sleeve (not sure how much there should be with the head off, if any). I put it back together and there is a slight bit of resistance near the top but I can turn it over on the flywheel with my finger no problem at all. Is that right?

I have a shaft start system and can go all day and it won't fire. I set the carb back to factory, prime it till fuel hits the carb and then put the glow starter on and no go. Have changed the glow plug many times.
BlackSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
I have a Force .28 in my Ofna Ravager with only about 3/4 of a gallon through it (20%). Ever since I first bought it, it would never start good at all. I never used it for a whole year and dug it out again this summer. I got it running after I cleaned the engine up and sealed it up. I runs great when it runs for the most part. It seems to act rich and when I lean it out a tiny bit it acts way too lean. I've played around with it a lot but when I get it running good it will just shut off and not start again.

It happened yesterday so I tore down the engine again. All looks good but there is barely any compression. With the head off I can turn the engine over and not really feel any resistance near the top of the sleeve (not sure how much there should be with the head off, if any). I put it back together and there is a slight bit of resistance near the top but I can turn it over on the flywheel with my finger no problem at all. Is that right?

I have a shaft start system and can go all day and it won't fire. I set the carb back to factory, prime it till fuel hits the carb and then put the glow starter on and no go. Have changed the glow plug many times.
Well with the head off your not going to get any pinch with an engine you have been running on the lean side. Ive had about 6 of the force engines(including the .32) so I know a little about them. It's not a race ready engine by no means. Just run it on the rich side. The engine is made for bashing. It will continue to run as long as you don't mess with the needles. Use a Mccoy 59 plug. Also check your ignitor make sure its charged.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Tech Adept

The plug and ignitor are both good. I'm trying to get it going right now. I have a fresh battery in the starter, ignitor, fresh fuel to the carb, air tight fuel system. It still will not even kick. I've messed with the needles, try to richen them to get it to start, tried leaning them. Still not start. I took the engine out again and was going to buy a new one tomorrow.

The manual says 3 - 3 1/2 turns out on the hsn and lsn set flush with the ball end. What else can I try before I toss it in the trash?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
JUD
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS View Post
The plug and ignitor are both good. I'm trying to get it going right now. I have a fresh battery in the starter, ignitor, fresh fuel to the carb, air tight fuel system. It still will not even kick. I've messed with the needles, try to richen them to get it to start, tried leaning them. Still not start. I took the engine out again and was going to buy a new one tomorrow.

The manual says 3 - 3 1/2 turns out on the hsn and lsn set flush with the ball end. What else can I try before I toss it in the trash?
Open the idle screw.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUD View Post
Open the idle screw.
just about to say that.
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Did that too, Also tried starting it at a bunch of different throttle positions. Won't even kick. Checked and rechecked over and over again.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:02 PM   #7
Tech Elite

is the flywheel loose? Take the fuel line off the carb, cover the end of the pipe, and turn the engine over and MAKE sure the fuel is getting to the carb.

I swear i had a muffler with oil stuck in the nipple that pressure line attaches too. I was like WTF??? my engine was getting no gas.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Tech Adept

The flywheel is tight. I checked to make sure the carb was getting fuel and it was.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Forgot to mention, even with the glow plug in the can turn the flywheel no problem at all with very little resistance even when it makes it's very slight bit of compression.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
Tech Elite

How old and how much fuel has been in it? You said 3/4 of a gallon. Sounds like you have been running it too lean. Take the piston and sleeve out and see if the piston pushes past the pinch point easy (don't force it to hard) if it passes easily sound like your P/S is shot.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
Tech Elite

shit. Take your hsn out of the needle housing and clean that sucker. It sounds like it might be gummed up.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I had a force that had a cracked fuel fitting (banjo) and would come off lean when it got hot. It was PLASTIC!!! Checkit.
moeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Tech Elite

man i have also rebuilt my a engine a couple of times. I have ended up with a air leak a couple times and that will drive you crazy. Also did you put the pison in backwards?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #14
Tech Adept

I did that too lol. I have the whole engine apart, sealed it up, cleaned the carb very good etc.

I don't know what else to do other then a new engine.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
Tech Elite

ok so the piston is not backwards.

Sounds to me like it's etiher a clutch problem or ignition problem. But if it wont turn over at all sounds like a ignition problem. Did you try to push the piston past the sleave when it was outside the engine? Are you sure your ignitor is good? I have a picco .26 and those factory settings are very rich to start it on.