Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to break in an OFNA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

Default How to break in an OFNA?

I just bought my Hyper 8 (Macstar .28 engine) and have begun to break it in. So far I have done 3-5min runs with a cool down break in between for the first 2 tanks. Should I continue this for a few more tanks or what? I'm at factory settings and am running Blue Thunder 20% sport fuel. The fuel seems to be doing really well in my buggy but I don't have a thermometer or whatever so I don't know much about temps.

I've heard both good and bad things about Blue Thunder, although I have heard its a good break in fuel because of its healthy oil content. Like I said, it seems to be working fine aside from the bad smell it leaves. I'm kind of confused as to this fuel. Some people swear on their choice of religious document that its the worst fuel they've ever run through their engine, while other say its right up there with Byrons and O'Donnells. I've heard the Macstar .28 likes to run extremely hot, so I'd like to know.

As for break in, should I do what I've been doing for the next 2 tanks?

Last edited by sokar; 06-27-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

follow the break in bible on the top of the nitro off road section and i would invest in a temp gun there are many out there ?
Old 06-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Also wrap the head in tin foil to get the temperatures up. Do the spit test for temperature. I guaranteee you the engine is at 150-180. It needs to be at 220.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yea, it runs on the hot side(245-270) so try to not over heat it or the seal on the front bearing will go and you'll never get the tune right. Stay with 20% and low oil (9-11%) 'cause the more oil, the hotter. I'm not going to get in a pissing contest about what brand because, more or less, their all pretty good. Try to get a temp gun when you can, but it's not God, it's just an referance. Read and print out the tuning bible and stay close to it. Always try to see smoke when you pin it and you should be OK. By the way, after about two gal. that motor screems, but the five gal. mark it's all used up. 'Course by then so is the buggy. By then you'll know what you want to do next. Get out there and run it and have fun.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

that are not pretty good or created equal. I will never ever ever put traxxas fuel anywhere near my buggy. That could pretty much be said for any rtr fuel.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Adept

Well, I did about 4 tanks of gentle low throttle running for break in. I believe that is enough.

During break in I was running at factory settings and got tons of blue smoke spitting out of the carb whenever I'd accelerate (I mean TONS of blue smoke), but it didn't bog too much because of the richness and I could still drive it fairly normally even though it was rich. I don't have a temp gun but I did the spit test and it evaporated completely in 3-5 seconds, exactly the same amount of time as my Pro .15 engine when I had it. I broke it in by driving it 3-5 minutes varying the RPM and not driving wide open. Did I break it in right? Is there more I need to do or am I ready to tune for racing?
Old 06-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Play it safe and do a few more tanks takin' it easy. Then start rippin'
Old 06-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by The Working Man
Play it safe and do a few more tanks takin' it easy. Then start rippin'
+1. Just start leaning it out a little bit per tank letting it cool in between. I don't start running hard until tank 12 or so.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
+1. Just start leaning it out a little bit per tank letting it cool in between. I don't start running hard until tank 12 or so.
Got it. I've heard people say "the slower you break it in the slower it will run, the faster you break it in the faster it will run" so I dont know when to start running it hard.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sokar
Got it. I've heard people say "the slower you break it in the slower it will run, the faster you break it in the faster it will run" so I dont know when to start running it hard.
It is those kind of people that tell you, "I dont care what pros or anyone else says, I do it the way I want" ,and because of that I have a box of crap engines. Someone actually said that a couple days ago..... The part in quotes but he did have a few engines that the rod broke.