R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to helgso
Default Help about preparing nitro engines

I recently bought myself a new Mach 427 engine. I have heard that you should take all your new engines apart, clean, oil and seal them. Is this necessary? I have no experience with Nitro RC's and I have only a few tools. I have been watching Squirrel's How-To videos on YouTube on this matter and everything seems so simple and straight-forward, but I only get more uncertain and gain more questions.

Of course when I hear about all the things you can do with your engine such as sealing them and breaking them in, I want to do those things to extend my upcoming engine's life and performance but when I try doing stuff, I never get it right . Like when I tried to take my former engine apart, I damaged it, that is why I got myself a new engine.

I am so afraid of damaging my new engine if I try taking it apart. I started trying to unscrew the screws that hold the heatsink (head) but they are so stuck that I don't feel like taking the risk of damaging something by applying a lot of pressure trying to unscrew it.

What will happen if I skip taking the engine apart and sealing it, and just use it as it is?
helgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

First off, get yourself a heat gun. It's very handy for breaking in a new motor. Plus, you can use it to heat up the engine block and make it easier to get the stubborn screws out. It is certainly a good idea to take the engine apart and inspect it because you can find metal shavings in there on a rare occasion. But it's not an absolute necessity. A heat gun is, though.

Just remember to take your time. If you don't feel comfortable taking the thing apart, take it to someone who has some experience and can assist you.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

They don't really mean take the whole thing apart... just 2 things: Remove the backplate (4 screws) and seal it with engine sealer. Loosen the carb pinch bolt, remove the carb, and seal it with engine sealer. MAKE SURE the o rings on both are in the proper place, and make sure you install the backplate the way it comes off (it has a notch on the top for the piston skirt)
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Tech Elite

NO - you dont have to take it apart and seal it, you can but no necessary - with 20+years in the hobby I have NEVER seal anything. I do take my engines apart and clean them every once in a while or before a big race.

Break in: TAKE YOUR TIME - dont rush it

once your done each and every time, before you walk away from the track - make sure piston is DBC. you will be surprised how much lief this simple 10 sec procedure will save on your engine.

Above is stated as MY OPINION - no need to call names and point fingers - no way is wrong and no way is right in this hobby.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Exclamation

make Shute when you take off the back plate to put the piston TDC or up to the top so you don't break the skirt. Take your time no hurry you can do it!!
"I know I can't drive!! You still ACT like you can!!"
JPierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you are new to nitro I wouldnt worry about taking the engine apart. Less chance of messing something up. Break it in properly and you will be set.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to helgso

Thanks for the replies people!

Because I'm on Iceland, I have very limited access to fuel. I only have access to: Big Bang Racing Fuel 16%, 20%, 25% and 30%, Dynaglo 16%, Helimix 16% and Bekra 20%. Which fuel should I use to break in my engine, and which one is good for using with the engine?
helgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

Never heard of any of them ? I would use 20 % of the best fuel you can get your hands on. Also follow the breakin bible at the top off the off road forum and good luck

STRC LCG Slash looking for electronics

1985 Associated RC 10 Novak t4 Trinity Monster Horsepower 27T futaba Jr
gkn0315 is offline   Reply With Quote