R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default what do you think??

I am putting a mach .21 in my slayer and was wondering if i could use the stock losi 8ight three shoe clutch/flywheel with it (cheap)? Are clutches/flywheels a one size fits all deal? Also is the .21 considered a big block, because I was planning on running a dyn 053 BB pipe on it? Im am just getting into nitro. Sorry if these are obvious questions.
T-maxx O.S .18tm
snowboard094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:23 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboard094 View Post
I am putting a mach .21 in my slayer and was wondering if i could use the stock losi 8ight three shoe clutch/flywheel with it (cheap)? Are clutches/flywheels a one size fits all deal? Also is the .21 considered a big block, because I was planning on running a dyn 053 BB pipe on it? Im am just getting into nitro. Sorry if these are obvious questions.
I'm pretty sure the Losi 8ight clutch is a 4-shoe. If it comes with the engine, I see no problem with that... although I think the clutchbell may need to be changed. Not sure on the Slayer. Yes, virtually all .21s are big-blocks, and yes, that one is. The Dynamite 053 pipe has been great on everything I've had it on: Werks B7 Pro, OS VSPEC, RB C6BB... should be ok on that engine.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
I'm pretty sure the Losi 8ight clutch is a 4-shoe. If it comes with the engine, I see no problem with that... although I think the clutchbell may need to be changed. Not sure on the Slayer. Yes, virtually all .21s are big-blocks, and yes, that one is. The Dynamite 053 pipe has been great on everything I've had it on: Werks B7 Pro, OS VSPEC, RB C6BB... should be ok on that engine.
alright thanks alot for the help. No the mach .21 doesn't come with the 8ight clutch, i was going to buy the clutch/flywheel separately. Since the package comes with a 13t bell i will get a 16t bell.
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 06-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboard094 View Post
alright thanks alot for the help. No the mach .21 doesn't come with the 8ight clutch, i was going to buy the clutch/flywheel separately. Since the package comes with a 13t bell i will get a 16t bell.
If you don't already have the clutch I would buy the following:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_.../XRAY-Flywheel

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...lywheel-Collar

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Engine-Nut-SG

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...lutch-Shoe-Set

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-Clutch-Bell (You said 16t)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...utch-Springs-3

That is EXACTLY the clutch setup I run on my truggy, except with a 13t bell.

And get a 10 pack or so of good bearings, like IronMan or Avid... and shims... Ofna sells shim "set" that works pretty good, and you get a lot of options without buying a whole bunch of separate packages of stuff.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMIT View Post
If you don't already have the clutch I would buy the following:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_.../XRAY-Flywheel

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...lywheel-Collar

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Engine-Nut-SG

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...lutch-Shoe-Set

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-Clutch-Bell (You said 16t)

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...utch-Springs-3

That is EXACTLY the clutch setup I run on my truggy, except with a 13t bell.

And get a 10 pack or so of good bearings, like IronMan or Avid... and shims... Ofna sells shim "set" that works pretty good, and you get a lot of options without buying a whole bunch of separate packages of stuff.
(And yes, that is right... Xray flyweel and collet, Mugen nut, Dynamite shoes, Racers Edge clutchbell, and Kyosho springs) Sometimes mixing and matching is not good... this fits together properly (no strange angles on the springs to make your shoes pop loose, everything matches up right.) I put 1 or 2 shims behind the flywheel, (depending on clearance to front of crankcase... motors vary a little) none or 1 behind the inner bearing, depending on clearance between the clutch shoes, bellhousing, and pins on the flywheel, and whatever is needed for the rest of it.

You need just a HAIR of endplay in the clutchbell... if it won't move in and out at all, it will burn up bearings in a heartbeat... but it can't be sloppy.

Good bearings will last quite a while... but count on changing them at least every gallon... every 1/2 gallon or less is even a better idea.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Tech Elite

I forgot one more thing: Losi clutchbells tend to be longer than any other... Mugen, Xray, and Ofna/Jammin about the same, and Kyosho shorter. (meaning how far the pinion gear is from the flywheel.) I don't know on the Traxxas stuff... but it is probably in the middle range. I suggest checking with some guys who have Slayers to see.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
Tech Master

SO i take it this setup is much better then the stock losi clutch kit? What would be the advantages be with this setup over the losi?
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 06-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Tech Master

bump
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 06-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
Tech Master

anyone else have experience with the stock losi 8ight clutch or this setup above?
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 06-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
Tech Addict

losi clutch is a good clutch but I run it in the 8ight 2.0. Never had experience with the other set up. Your gonna have to find one to line up properly in the slayer. Will the stock clutch not work for you ?
Old 06-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer43 View Post
losi clutch is a good clutch but I run it in the 8ight 2.0. Never had experience with the other set up. Your gonna have to find one to line up properly in the slayer. Will the stock clutch not work for you ?
Well i might be wrong about this, but wont the stock traxxas clutch get eaten up fast buy the power of the mach .21?
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 06-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #12
Tech Addict

I would use the stock flywheel if possible and try to find some after market shoes that will hold up better for you. What size engine came on the slayer anyway ?
Old 06-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer43 View Post
I would use the stock flywheel if possible and try to find some after market shoes that will hold up better for you. What size engine came on the slayer anyway ?
it comes stock with the traxxas 3.3.
T-maxx O.S .18tm