Community
Wiki Posts
Search

different pipes comparisson

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default different pipes comparisson

is there a listing somewhere that gives a comparission of the different pipes out there ...ideal for truggy / buggy or where in the rpm range they work best ...i was unsucessful in my google search and didnt find much on here
Old 06-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Usually you will see the pipes specs from the dealer or website that you are buying from..as for what pipes work best in what applications there are so many factors involved. Size of track, short run up jumps wide open straights, clutch set up, engine ports, powerband, etc, etc..i good place to start would be to smooth out your engines power delivery, so you would put a low end pipe on a high end engine (more ports) and a high end pipe on a low end engine (less ports)..this rule doesn't always apply though, and you want to use the pipe that will get you what you need for the track you are on. Small technical tracks are better suited for low end pipes as a high RPM pipe would just be wasted without the huge open lane to let it breathe..The best thing for you to do is have a small collection and try things to see what you like..also consider run times in your testing as that may play a huge factor in your race. here is a great list of pipes that will/should give you an ample collection to work with almost every track and engine.

JP-3
2050 (RE-11)
Old 06-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Dont forget the OS 2060 or mugen 2042 (same pipe)
Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Addict

decide on the engine you'll use first, then worry about the pipe...
Old 06-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Im looking at a Losi 8 2.0 RTR for club racing use looks to be the most complete and the nicest of the RTR's out there....figure eventually Ill change the pipe maybe a few other things on it
Old 06-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Naa you dont need to change the pipe, get use to the truck and when you upgrade the engine - then get the pipe recommended by the manufactor - you cant go wrong.

But save your money and buy some JR / Hitec servos you will need them SOON
Old 06-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

i figure servos would be the first thing to go.....or tires , eventually maybe a pipe ...just wish the descriptions on whats out there are a little better from the manufactuers ...noone said this would be easy
Old 06-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by daygoVR6
i figure servos would be the first thing to go.....or tires , eventually maybe a pipe ...just wish the descriptions on whats out there are a little better from the manufactuers ...noone said this would be easy
The problem with most manufactors with the eception of dynamite and OFNA there specs are for the engines in which they were designed for.

Now if you just want a pipe to be different the

053 or JP3 are good safe bet
Old 06-26-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Regular

Generally pipes affect the power due to their size(as basic as can get).
Shorter pipes give more RPM and less low end torque.
Longer pipes give more low end torque and less upper rpm power.

This is the roughest that they can eplain, now you get into the number of chambers, this affects the pipes differently due to the same size pipe will act different with more or less chambers, sorry I do not know a rule of thumb for this other than they the more chambers the quieter they become.

Header lengths affect each pipe different but generally the longer header will give more torque and less rpm where a short header will do the opposite.

Many engines like certain pipes way better than others, one pipe will not always work the same from engine to engine.

Here is a link that has some of the best motor tuning info on the internet:
http://web.archive.org/web/200304021...m/tipspage.htm
Old 06-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

There is certainly no set rules for pipe/manifold/engine combo's that why we get obsessed and start a collection. most hardcore racers have at least 7 pipes.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

my friend just bought nova 21 bf from amainhbbs ,so he ask what pipe is the best ?? we suggest 053 instead of the 086 pipe reason cause da track here is medium size & the straightway is about 120ft. & damn a lot of jumps here so i guess top-end is not really .......what you guys opinion here ....anyway i have the os/mgn jx21 & im using the ttr2035 smooth power & good mileage