R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default a little rambling if you care to listen

does any one here run the vzb vspec pro moddified eddition? it has a silicone filled crank, a tungsten weight for balance and ceramic rear bearing, anyone run it? how do you like it?


I also noticed the only turbo engine that is always in stock is the original vspec. I can never find a ninja, nova plus 4, trinity ex tech, or the vspec pro moddified eddition. Why is that? are thease other engines that much better. Or do they make that many more vspecs?


If some of thease after market parts are so much better (head buttons, shock towers, chassis, etc) How can one little outfit make something so much better if a whole engineering company like mugen or O.S. failed to reconize it? I mean if a certain head button or chassis was so much better why arent engineers from said companies using it?

I think some try to capitalize on my rc compulsion. Like a bce chassis. I really want one and a eb mods head button for my vspec. But do i really need it? Of course not. But i am compeled to do so. Just like my tire fettish on ebay! must buy every tire i see. Same thing with mugen parts, i almost have a whole nother car.


but i really want to know about the modded vspec.
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Tech Addict
 
elcaminosslover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 721
Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
does any one here run the vzb vspec pro moddified eddition? it has a silicone filled crank, a tungsten weight for balance and ceramic rear bearing, anyone run it? how do you like it?


I also noticed the only turbo engine that is always in stock is the original vspec. I can never find a ninja, nova plus 4, trinity ex tech, or the vspec pro moddified eddition. Why is that? are thease other engines that much better. Or do they make that many more vspecs?


If some of thease after market parts are so much better (head buttons, shock towers, chassis, etc) How can one little outfit make something so much better if a whole engineering company like mugen or O.S. failed to reconize it? I mean if a certain head button or chassis was so much better why arent engineers from said companies using it?

I think some try to capitalize on my rc compulsion. Like a bce chassis. I really want one and a eb mods head button for my vspec. But do i really need it? Of course not. But i am compeled to do so. Just like my tire fettish on ebay! must buy every tire i see. Same thing with mugen parts, i almost have a whole nother car.


but i really want to know about the modded vspec.

I would not worry about buying a Modded engine!! I have run Hot Mods(awesome modder), EB Mods(petty good), and RB Mods(What a Joke), and while there are good Modders out there, you do not need it!! I now just run the OS Speed and I will not change any time soon!! The Modder that I have mentioned above are just my personal experiece and opinion!! Just get a good tune on your V-Spec and that is all you will need!! Just my .02 cents!!
elcaminosslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #3
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I figured as much. If modifiying a engine by doing a couple things i think O.S. would do it to there engines. Doesn't make since that someone can make a engine that much better that is already designed by engineers and if it was they would do it.


My vspec runs great btw.
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Tech Lord
 
Jaz240's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dwindle city
Posts: 12,492
Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Default

Modified engines serve a very specific need..Most of the time they are modified to increase runtimes and get slightly more/smoother power, as well as making them less likely to flame out..they are usually also harder to tune. They have there place or people wouldn't make em, or buy em
__________________
nothing to see here................................
Jaz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Tech Addict
 
CMB21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 614
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

i dont think its as simple as if its better then the engine manufacturer would make it...... if they have every crank and sleeve modded production costs would go up, so your engine is now more expensive to buy. They make and sell a motor to suit the majority of the sport. There are some that always want more, so they are the ones that have to pay for it, rather than all the rest of us.

If you want to say if its that good the manufacturer would use it. Just look at the car sitting in your drive way. Why can you buy performance parts for your real car? Why didnt the manufacturer just use them to start with... the same reason as above, cost. They have to be able to sell the car to as many people as possible, not just a few that want the car with the performance parts. And alot of buyers arent going to hand over the extra cash for something they dont need.

Well my 2c anyway, and is in no way correct, just how i see the situation. And i think the situation lends itself to almost any line of product. computers, cameras, although a little bit different but you get the idea.
__________________
~Team Terribles~
Kyosho RB5 SP (Venom esc, Fantom Ion 2)
Team Associated RC8B (GO Engines, AMain C2 Fuel)
CMB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
Tech Master
 
fast11970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Freeport Texas
Posts: 1,007
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMB21 View Post
i dont think its as simple as if its better then the engine manufacturer would make it...... if they have every crank and sleeve modded production costs would go up, so your engine is now more expensive to buy. They make and sell a motor to suit the majority of the sport. There are some that always want more, so they are the ones that have to pay for it, rather than all the rest of us.

If you want to say if its that good the manufacturer would use it. Just look at the car sitting in your drive way. Why can you buy performance parts for your real car? Why didnt the manufacturer just use them to start with... the same reason as above, cost. They have to be able to sell the car to as many people as possible, not just a few that want the car with the performance parts. And alot of buyers arent going to hand over the extra cash for something they dont need.

Well my 2c anyway, and is in no way correct, just how i see the situation. And i think the situation lends itself to almost any line of product. computers, cameras, although a little bit different but you get the idea.
Great point, The differance between a Modded Engine, a pro set up , is really based on how you race, Its really cool to run a modded engine, they are faster than stock, perform better, but they are really harder to drive, taken from above, you can get a stock Chevey, or Ford and it works fine, or you can "mod" it and it goes really fast, hits harder, but its all about what you can drive, how you drive, when you use the extra "power" alot of mills have a sleeping giant in them, but they are produced to meet a "price point" so its really a massage, more than a mod in many cases, if you have the money, do it, if not, dont worry about it, it really is a matter of choice, you gain alot of things in a modded engine, but you can lose a few things too, its all a trade off...
__________________
MBX6
http://www.racemugen.com
fast11970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

I have run modded and non modded engines and I can contest to the fract that if you get the right modder you will notice a difference. In January I purchased a standard race mod GRP from Mark at powerhousercperformance.com. I admit I was skeptical, but after running it I shortly called Mark and spent some time on the phone with him and ordered a turbo modded GRP. He dialed it in exactly for my needs. That engine rocks it is so fast on the straight that I pulled 5 lengths on a fellow racer (he's the one who counted) who was running a stock vspec. I have also recently witnessed the difference from a good modder to a worthless modder. A friend bought 2 vspecs from 2 different engine mod companys. One from RB mods and the other from Pro Twister. Both modded engines cost about the same within 5 or 10 bucks. He ran the RB mods 1st and liked it until he put the Pro Twister Mods vspec in. To make a long story short the PTM engine is off the hook, it will run circles around the other modded engine. The PTM engine like what I have personally experienced with Mark at powerhouse is well worth the money. Do your research and it pays off. I also had Mark at powerhouse mod a GRP .28 and that thing nearly ripped the tires right off the truck. When it went down the straight you could tell it was very very special. I think the right engine in the right hands is a lethal combo, but you have to be able to control it. If you strap a rocket engine to a skateboard it will go fast and crash and burn hard. Bottom line if you want a moidded engine give Mark at powerhousercperformance.com a call you will be greatly rewarded.

On a different note I recently started running an OS speed just because I have been told that is the ultimate stock engine. I was verv pleased and lke every other racer I know I wanted more. I had to buy a new pipe and header (mugen 2042<OS 2060 copy> and mugen L header) which helped to open up the bottom and top of the engine. Then I wanted more so I installed an EB Mods head button. Did I need it NO but was it worth it, HELL YES. Its the little things that make all the difference. The OS speed with the couple additions is a lethal engine. I swap between the powerhouse GRP and the speed depending on the track and what I am feeling at the time.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:36 AM   #8
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

intresting guys. Thanx for the perspective. tell me though. What is the main difference between the speed and pro modified version? THe speed sounds like a vspec with a lighter head and coated crank. While the pro has a silcone coated crank and weights for balance? The speed would still be the better of the 3 engines?
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:02 AM   #9
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
intresting guys. Thanx for the perspective. tell me though. What is the main difference between the speed and pro modified version? THe speed sounds like a vspec with a lighter head and coated crank. While the pro has a silcone coated crank and weights for balance? The speed would still be the better of the 3 engines?

The os speed is the full option race engine the main difference is the crank and it's coating, the rod and the work that has been done to it. I am sure the piston and sleeve have some work done to them, the rear bearing is ceramic, the case has been coated black to discard heat easier, and then finally the head has been drilled. You will notice the difference on the track and the bling factor of the speed is off the hook people notice this engine. This engne pushes my truggy arond like it's a buggy and on a large track I can go up a tooth on the clutch bell for more top end and not loose the low end. If you have the extra cash get the speed you will be rewarded. Amain has them rght now for 499.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:30 AM   #10
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I am sorry. the pro moddified has a silcone filled crank not coated.
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:42 AM   #11
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
I am sorry. the pro moddified has a silcone filled crank not coated.
Is the crank dlc coated lke the speed crank is?
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank L View Post
Is the crank dlc coated lke the speed crank is?
no. i just found a new in the box os speed for 398$$ on ebay
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:53 AM   #13
Tech Master
 
cary's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,914
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

I have to agree the speed is the way to go if you can swing it
I now have a modded v-spec it's way fast and gets good run times
but in my experience when you mod any thing you do it at the cost
of longevity we will see but at this point my next one will be a speed
__________________
Xray XB8 14,AE RC8T3,XB9 13,Kyosho wheeler,Losi SCTE 2.0,+ More
> The Animal,Frank L. Jr. <
~~~~RedRock Hobbies~~~~
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,657
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cary View Post
I have to agree the speed is the way to go if you can swing it
I now have a modded v-spec it's way fast and gets good run times
but in my experience when you mod any thing you do it at the cost
of longevity we will see but at this point my next one will be a speed
cary. How do you like the oddonell fuel in you vspec?
dreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 AM   #15
Tech Master
 
cary's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,914
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post
cary. How do you like the oddonell fuel in you vspec?
it seems to work out good put i will be switching to Coldfusion Fuel
as soon as this last gallon is gone
__________________
Xray XB8 14,AE RC8T3,XB9 13,Kyosho wheeler,Losi SCTE 2.0,+ More
> The Animal,Frank L. Jr. <
~~~~RedRock Hobbies~~~~
cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Fuel Gun? jeff1 Nitro On-Road 66 06-03-2014 07:30 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:26 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net