R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
You need to replace the metal back plate with a bump start backplate. Your engine will not start with the hollow shell and the big hole in the backplate. It will suck air and not fire, You will replace the starter shaft, one way bearing current back plate and pull cord housing with a new bump plate..It all comes out, and the new plate covers it all up
Sorry to say this is untrue, i have an os21tm on my sons revo he races, we used to use the roto start and after going through 3 one way bearing we went to a bump box, all we did was take the one way bearing out, switch to a 40mm flywheel, left everything else in and have been runing it like that for the last year and it runs great....

Ken
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #17
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
Sorry to say this is untrue, i have an os21tm on my sons revo he races, we used to use the roto start and after going through 3 one way bearing we went to a bump box, all we did was take the one way bearing out, switch to a 40mm flywheel, left everything else in and have been runing it like that for the last year and it runs great....

Sorry to say an OS21TM is not a Hyper .21, but thanks for your input..I have first hand experience with these engines and how to convert Pull/rotostarts to bumpstart, I would not tell someone something I wasn't sure of, plus if you read his original post, he pulled out the shaft and was covering the whole assembly with an empty shell that used to house the pullstart..His engine will not run this way..too many holes
Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
Sorry to say an OS21TM is not a Hyper .21, but thanks for your input..I have first hand experience with these engines and how to convert Pull/rotostarts to bumpstart, I would not tell someone something I wasn't sure of, plus if you read his original post, he pulled out the shaft and was covering the whole assembly with an empty shell that used to house the pullstart..His engine will not run this way..too many holes
Yep. I don't want to leave the shaft and one way in there. If I'm going to be using a bump box anyway all those two will do is add extra drag. Oh, and once I get the back plate I definitely want to make sure its sealed. I know some companies sell RC engine sealant, but I'm thinking a bit of copper gasket maker will work just as well. Do you think that will work alright?
Frozenshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:49 PM   #19
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Fuel will turn that into goo...get Lucky 7 or Racers edge engine sealant, apply sparingly dont get any in the engine
Old 06-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
Yeah ok... The engine will run with a giant hole in the backplate. Sure. Have you heard of an air leak? Now think big hole in the back of engine. No go.
JAMMINKRAZY is offline   Reply With Quote