Wiki Posts
Search

OFFICIAL Picco Engine Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default OFFICIAL Picco Engine Thread!

Just thought I would share this with everyone, just got my Picco P3-28 for my Mugen MBX5-T, and I am very impressed with this engine so far. It is the best engine I have ever owned (Only had crappy RTR engines before) and it blows them all away. It is finishing up the initial heat cycle break in, and I am on tank 8 right now. Getting up to about 1/2 throttle to 3/4 throttle max so far. Might not be able to tell very well in the video, but it actually idles really slow but consistent. Temps are also very consistent.

And I am running a Dynamite 086 pipe.
Also using an ODonnell hot glow plug.

Here is the vid -

Any input/constructive criticism is appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by Krawlin; 06-24-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I have one too, seems to provide a lot of power for the dollar. I'm barely 1/2 gallon through though
Old 06-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Regular

I had read alot about this engine before I bought it and alot of people said the same thing you did, alot of bang for your buck as far as power goes. To be totally honest, even though I am not running it really hard, I am getting some impressive runtimes of about 15 to 18 minutes (I think, I haven't timed it so I am not totally sure) of just easy driving. Seems to be a good match for my MBX5-T.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

that's good news for me. my run-times have been pretty bad but it is running on the rich side still

how much fuel you have through it? I'm still having to heat mine up so the starter box could turn it over
Old 06-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

I love the Picco motors! I have the P7 Evo 3 .21 on my buggy and you can feel the POWER!
Tyler
Old 06-24-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by spawn_x
that's good news for me. my run-times have been pretty bad but it is running on the rich side still

how much fuel you have through it? I'm still having to heat mine up so the starter box could turn it over
Yeah, I have been able to lean mine out some, but I am at a high elevation (4600 feet) so I have to run leaner settings.

I think I have about 1 quart, or 8 to 9 tanks, or something around there.

And alot of people have told me you should always preheat your engine before starting it. I just use some old hair dryer and heat it up to about 150* to 170* then fire it up, starts right after I pull the trigger on the drill (I use roto-start).

To Gearhead racer - I really like mine so far, I think I will be sticking to Picco based engines for a long time. They seem like a really good "bang for your buck" engine.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You guys have a track down there in Sierra Vista? I used to travel there for work all the time, it's a nice little city.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Nice vid, those things never get posted here, haha.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by slumlord
You guys have a track down there in Sierra Vista? I used to travel there for work all the time, it's a nice little city.
Actually we don't, I wish! I go up to Tucson to the HobbyTownUSA to race.

Originally Posted by AndyMoore
Nice vid, those things never get posted here, haha.
Thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Krawlin
Yeah, I have been able to lean mine out some, but I am at a high elevation (4600 feet) so I have to run leaner settings.

I think I have about 1 quart, or 8 to 9 tanks, or something around there.

And alot of people have told me you should always preheat your engine before starting it. I just use some old hair dryer and heat it up to about 150* to 170* then fire it up, starts right after I pull the trigger on the drill (I use roto-start).

To Gearhead racer - I really like mine so far, I think I will be sticking to Picco based engines for a long time. They seem like a really good "bang for your buck" engine.
Mine is my first picco and ill have to agree with you. I think ill be sticking with them for a lont time.
Tyler
Old 06-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Just found out mine is like a 9 port. Here are the stats from the place I ordered it from -

http://store.socalcrew.com/index.php...products_id=22

CARB TYPE SLIDE CRANK SG Shaft
CONSTRUCTION ABC
ENGINE CASE SIZE .21 ENGINE
BORE SIZE .28
TYPE REAR EXHAUST
PORTS 9 ports
DISPLACEMENT .28 c.i., 16.8 stroke
CRANKSHAFT Heavy Duty Crankshaft 14mm
CARBURETOR Composite, 8mm insert, changeable
PLUG TYPE Standard Plug

On AmainHobbies, the current Picco P3 is only 8 ports. Do you normally count the exhaust port? If not, maybe this place does. Not real sure. And the head on my Picco has all of these etched designs on the top, and the current Picco P3-28's don't have that. Maybe mine is an older version or a newer version? Maybe a bit different?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (87%+)

Sounds really good, nice video!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Where did you find that online store?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

I have this engine too! Modified by Mark of Powerhouseracing. He modified the porting and has the most unique crank shaft modification (turbo Crank). He Broke it in and tuned it for me. I am from Manila Philippines so it was tuned from the other part of the world. I just adjust the needles if needed by an hour or two. It was tuned a little fat so that i can still run it a little more before race tuning.

This engine is a monster! Sounds like no other down the straight. I geared up so I can drive it. I used 15 or 16 CB and softer clutch spring like a .90 0r 95. Otherwise ill just spin the wheels everytime i put my heavy finger on the throttle.

Mark Recommeded the engine to me cause in stock form its very reliable and cost effective.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wild yfz 450
Sounds really good, nice video!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Chris__RC

Where did you find that online store?
Thanks for finding that for me BTW.

Originally Posted by oggietiu
I have this engine too! Modified by Mark of Powerhouseracing. He modified the porting and has the most unique crank shaft modification (turbo Crank). He Broke it in and tuned it for me. I am from Manila Philippines so it was tuned from the other part of the world. I just adjust the needles if needed by an hour or two. It was tuned a little fat so that i can still run it a little more before race tuning.

This engine is a monster! Sounds like no other down the straight. I geared up so I can drive it. I used 15 or 16 CB and softer clutch spring like a .90 0r 95. Otherwise ill just spin the wheels everytime i put my heavy finger on the throttle.

Mark Recommeded the engine to me cause in stock form its very reliable and cost effective.
Good to know! I may end up gearing up as well, because it really has alot of wheel spin right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.