R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default Starter box blues

Well guys I picked up a ofna starter box I forget the model # but it's the single motor direct drive one with a 12v gel cell. I'm trying to use it with my sc8 that still has the stock pro .28 in it which has about 4 gallons through it now. I cannot get the starter box to fire it up it seems like it spins it over too fast. When I use the prostart that spins it over much slower it always fires right up. Whats the deal i'm stumped and yes everythings lined up it's spinning the right direction I just don't get it.
AsSc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

too fast?

use a weaker battery?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaxx21 View Post
too fast?

use a weaker battery?
Seriously?

So your saying that cranking it over too fast really could prevent it from firing up? Has anyone else had this issue? It seems like my starter box setup is fairly common why won't it work for me.
AsSc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

No such thing! your box is probably spinning your flywheel and not turning your crank..Make sure your flywheel is tight
Old 06-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz240 View Post
No such thing! your box is probably spinning your flywheel and not turning your crank..Make sure your flywheel is tight
+1 I used a starter box on my revo, that thing would crank!!! Never had a problem with not firing
Tyler
Old 06-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #6

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

is the box spinning the motor the wrong way???? if so you will have a really hard time starting any motor. i have the ofna 10244 dual motor box with 2 5000 30c lipos. this box will start anything.. last week a guy had a new os .28 or .30 never been started no heat and this box turned it over so fast i was in shock. faster the better. jeremy
Jeremy Whiting - serpent america - desoto racing - apicco race engines - RcRenew - jconcepts - Rc Pro Products - ko propo eurus - ko propo servos - VP PowerMaster Fuels - Answer-rc usa - advantage racing products - Parma/pse bodies - serpent 811 2.1 - 811t
J.Whiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

+1 check the wiring and direction the starter wheel is rotating. With that box it's easy to wire something a little off that'll cause the motor to spin the wrong way.
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
gotspeed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to imaxx21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSc8 View Post
Seriously?

So your saying that cranking it over too fast really could prevent it from firing up? Has anyone else had this issue? It seems like my starter box setup is fairly common why won't it work for me.

you said it was going too fast, that why i said ''too fast?"
Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Stupid question but, are you sure the box is hitting the flywheel? Take the glow plug out and see if the piston moves up and down.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yep, make sure the flywheel is tight and make sure you also check the collat.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:21 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Too fast on the starter box that's a new one. I have heard of too slow but never too fast. Try just bumping it in small blurps. Don't leave the starter box engeged for long periods of time just 1-2 seconds and then 3 seconds break. But I have never heard of too fast humm...
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
Tech Elite

hahahahahahahahahahahaha - in 20+ years of RC racing on road and off - I have never heard this one before.

Starter box to fast

Wow

engines REV at like 30000 RPMs - its no way its faster than that
Old 06-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

There is no starter box out there (ok, now I bet someone will try to build one) that will spin the motor too fast.

As for those of you who said it won't start if it spins the wrong direction... WRONG! The motor will start and run normally... except rotating the opposite way.

Make sure the flywheel is tight as others have said... the "ez start" or whatever you call it engages the crankpin... the starter box spins the flywheel.

And make sure the wheel is lined up with the hole in your chassis.

A starter box should spin it faster... which makes it easier to start, not harder.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

what???????????????? the motor will not run backwards. if it ran backwards that means the carb would be the exhaust and the exhaust would be the intake spot. no motor will run backwards. i had that same box that my friend wired for me. he did it backwards. (not a surprise). i had a new motor that i couldent start. i mean i was trying to start it for a good 30 minutes. then i took the air filter off to see if it was opening. when i went to go start it. fuel came shooting out of the carb. so there should be 2 banana plugs on that box outside. switch them. thats what happened to me. and the motor fired right up. as for the motor running backwards??? sorry. not gona happen
coviello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Yes the ENGINE will run backwards and will not change the places of the carb and exhaust, Like Brad say - It will just run backwards
- from experience bud, and if you run rich enough the oil from the fuel will come shooting out of the carb, its heavier than air right. hahahahaha

pissin on Losi huh, you must have gotten spanked acouple of time but some of the most popular 1/8s on the market..... dont hate