R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
Tech Addict
 
jwcobra03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 566
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default Orion ABI Anyone running this motor?

I was wanting some info as far as pipe and plug selection? How is your experience with the motor so far? The one with the ceramics. Thanks
__________________
Kyosho TKI3/BCE/ XZB Speed
Kyosho TKI3-E/Tekin 1900
Kyosho RB6/Orion R10 Pro-VST 7.5
Kyosho ZX6/Orion R10 Pro-VST 6.5
jwcobra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
ON A MISSION's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,407
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default motor

WE have been using the orion number 5 plug or os p3 , also the 2013 sirio pipe or os 2050 pipe, i think the 2066 would be good also .
ON A MISSION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Tech Master
 
pyromania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Hills, CA
Posts: 1,283
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

My pops has been running the .21 ABI version in his 8ight-t 2.0. For some reason the motor lacks a bit of bottom end, but He has only tried 2 pipes so far. I think the motor will benefit from a HT pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON A MISSION View Post
WE have been using the orion number 5 plug or os p3 , also the 2013 sirio pipe or os 2050 pipe, i think the 2066 would be good also .
How do you like the motor with the 2060? I'm thinking of ordering the losi RE-11 for him.
__________________
Jesse Carrillo
Team Driver For:
TLR | Horizon Hobby | Nitrotane | Spektrum | HandleITHobbies | 818 Designs
pyromania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
Tech Master
 
JoeyTheRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Albany, Ohio
Posts: 1,893
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JoeyTheRocket Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyTheRocket
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcobra03 View Post
I was wanting some info as far as pipe and plug selection? How is your experience with the motor so far? The one with the ceramics. Thanks
AE 2035 worked the best for me!
__________________
Joey Kubat ↔ MWNS Staff www.MidwestNitro.com
Mugen Seiki / AKA Racing / Novarossi / PT RC Racing Oils / Advantage Racing Products
JoeyTheRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
 
SteveP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 918
Default

I've seen this engine in action in a number of cars and trucks so I can pass along what I know. It doesn't have the bottom end of the 5-port or the US spec, but it's not because of the number of ports and it's by design that it has a little less bottom end. Most good drivers dial out the bottom end as much as possible because most engines have too much to begin with. The port and induction timing of the ABI engine is designed to deliver smooth bottom end, great top end, and above all, excellent fuel economy. The ABI includes ceramic bearings for the crank, a turbo head button, lightweight head and the high-end carburetor. It's as high spec as you could want, and the smooth power delivery means less wheel spin for more control, and depending on the track and the driver, it can get up to 11-12 minutes of run time. It can also go as low as 9 minutes, but you have to be driving pretty poorly.

It takes anywhere from 1 to 2 gallons of fuel to get the engine to run really well. Until then, the heat is a little higher, the economy is slightly down, as is the power. The engine that is the closest to the ABI would be the O.S. V-Spec, which has nearly identical port timing with the exception of the crank induction port - the ABI and the V-spec open at the same point, but the ABI closes about 5-degrees earlier. This was at least the spec when I measured both engines. These things tend to change over time, but that's how they compare for now.

The ABI engine, at least in a Kyosho car or truck, tends to like 1.0 springs, but according to Gil Jr., it's a little better with one or two 1.1 springs in the truck to give it a little more bottom end.

It's a good engine with really good power delivery. If you want to do wheelies and throw dirt all over the place, then an engine with bigger bottom and and less fuel economy is the way to go. But if you want faster, more consistent lap times, better fuel economy and a more drivable car or truck, this engine is a good choice.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Tech Regular
 
deeje929's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 479
Default

Try a 2056 sirio pipe with the extender
deeje929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: warwick,RI
Posts: 97
Default

im running the .21 alpha in my 8ight 2.0 buggy and the alpha .24 in my truggy both with RE10 pipes.. im going to run the truggy clutch slightly more aggresive to get a little more bottom out of it...ill let you know how the set up works
__________________
Ray's Hobbies
8ight 2.0/Novarossi Plus-4
8ight 2.0T/Novarossi Plus-4
HAWK498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #8
Tech Addict
 
jwcobra03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 566
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the info guys.
__________________
Kyosho TKI3/BCE/ XZB Speed
Kyosho TKI3-E/Tekin 1900
Kyosho RB6/Orion R10 Pro-VST 7.5
Kyosho ZX6/Orion R10 Pro-VST 6.5
jwcobra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
Tech Addict
 
jwcobra03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 566
Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Default

Whats the normal operating temps for this engine race tune?
__________________
Kyosho TKI3/BCE/ XZB Speed
Kyosho TKI3-E/Tekin 1900
Kyosho RB6/Orion R10 Pro-VST 7.5
Kyosho ZX6/Orion R10 Pro-VST 6.5
jwcobra03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:14 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
SteveP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 918
Default

The running temperature will vary widely depending on conditions. The brand, oil and nitro content of the fuel, altitude, humidity, ambient temperature and clutch settings are just a few things that affect engine running temps. The best answer to a question like this is "whatever temp results from the ideal mixture setting." It's not as convenient as just saying that it should run at "X" temp, but it's the most honest answer. I've seen them run anywhere from 180°F to 280°F depending on the conditions.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:27 AM   #11
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I've seen this engine in action in a number of cars and trucks so I can pass along what I know. It doesn't have the bottom end of the 5-port or the US spec, but it's not because of the number of ports and it's by design that it has a little less bottom end. Most good drivers dial out the bottom end as much as possible because most engines have too much to begin with. The port and induction timing of the ABI engine is designed to deliver smooth bottom end, great top end, and above all, excellent fuel economy. The ABI includes ceramic bearings for the crank, a turbo head button, lightweight head and the high-end carburetor. It's as high spec as you could want, and the smooth power delivery means less wheel spin for more control, and depending on the track and the driver, it can get up to 11-12 minutes of run time. It can also go as low as 9 minutes, but you have to be driving pretty poorly.

It takes anywhere from 1 to 2 gallons of fuel to get the engine to run really well. Until then, the heat is a little higher, the economy is slightly down, as is the power. The engine that is the closest to the ABI would be the O.S. V-Spec, which has nearly identical port timing with the exception of the crank induction port - the ABI and the V-spec open at the same point, but the ABI closes about 5-degrees earlier. This was at least the spec when I measured both engines. These things tend to change over time, but that's how they compare for now.

The ABI engine, at least in a Kyosho car or truck, tends to like 1.0 springs, but according to Gil Jr., it's a little better with one or two 1.1 springs in the truck to give it a little more bottom end.

It's a good engine with really good power delivery. If you want to do wheelies and throw dirt all over the place, then an engine with bigger bottom and and less fuel economy is the way to go. But if you want faster, more consistent lap times, better fuel economy and a more drivable car or truck, this engine is a good choice.
I was under the impression that the V-Spec has more bottom than the Orion ABI? I´m looking to making a change to Orion next season and would like something with less bottom than my V-Spec.

Thanks
__________________
Losi 8ight 2.0//OS V-Spec//Spectrum DX3R//SAVÖX//AKA tires//O´Donell Fuel
harleyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoChanels View Post
Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!
????
__________________
Losi 8ight 2.0//OS V-Spec//Spectrum DX3R//SAVÖX//AKA tires//O´Donell Fuel
harleyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #13
Tech Regular
 
Panic09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stamford CT
Posts: 467
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoChanels View Post
Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!
Panic09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic
 
SteveP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrules View Post
I was under the impression that the V-Spec has more bottom than the Orion ABI? I´m looking to making a change to Orion next season and would like something with less bottom than my V-Spec.

Thanks
As I previous mentioned, the ABI has a 5-degrees difference in induction timing, so there's a very subtle difference in the amount of air and fuel that's getting into the engine, so the bottom end is going to be slightly smoother than the V-Spec, but it's subtle. I also believe that the difference in induction timing gives the ABI slightly better mileage potential.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sweden
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
As I previous mentioned, the ABI has a 5-degrees difference in induction timing, so there's a very subtle difference in the amount of air and fuel that's getting into the engine, so the bottom end is going to be slightly smoother than the V-Spec, but it's subtle. I also believe that the difference in induction timing gives the ABI slightly better mileage potential.
I better try someones Orion ABI around here before the switch then cause I´ve been very happy with the V-Spec.

Thanks
__________________
Losi 8ight 2.0//OS V-Spec//Spectrum DX3R//SAVÖX//AKA tires//O´Donell Fuel
harleyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:31 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net