R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Allumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotspeed_2000 View Post
What kind of receiver pack are you running? Is it 4 or 5 cells? Also, towerhobbies no longer has that sale going on for servos. Most good servos will run you a little over a hundred each. Since it sounds like you don't have a race track nearby or hobby shop either, then I would package a few things and get them from amain hobbies. They have discount coupons and free shipping for over 100 spent per order. This will help lower the costs of things you buy.
Amain doesnt offer any free shipping anymore pretty stupid
Allumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:52 PM   #17
Tech Addict

well dont know why u asked for advice if u already have ur mind set...the stock servos on a rtr are 15 dollar servos...if u are just going to bash and what not then i wouldnt spend any money on any hop ups...not going to make the car any better for what ur gonna use it...just buy a case of gas and let it rip...
Elite Paint Workz
ElitePaintWorkz@gmail.com
mist467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allumina View Post
Amain doesnt offer any free shipping anymore pretty stupid
I just checked, and they still do offer it. It was an option in the shipping choices. However, in recent orders they shipped it out parcel post which can take forever. I'm not sure if the free shipping applies to everyone as I'm one of those who order a ton of stuff from them.
HB D8T with BCE Chassis, ACE Shock towers and motor mounts, M2C Rear Suspension system, KH front steering plate and chassis braces, Lunsford Ti-turnbuckles & hinge pins, OS Speed motor, Hitec 5995TG steering, Futaba 9351 throttle/brake, OS 2060 pipe, and J concepts Punisher Body.
HB D8: CEO Mods Novarossi P5K with JP4 tuned pipe, JR 9000T steering, JR 8800T throttle.
gotspeed_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:47 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Hmm.

Hows this servo? Will it give decent torque compared to the RTR ones? Keep in mind I'm not looking to go overboard.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tal-Gear-Servo
sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Get some good servos and a lipo receiver pack. Servos is a place you dont want to skimp. A lipo is fairly inexpensive, will give your servos a boost in torque and speed if you go unregulated, and are lighter. I would suggest looking at the hitec 7955's, very hard to beat for the money.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The 7955 is a little over kill for a buggy dont you think ?

If your just bashing I wouldnt upgrade anything untill it broke. When the servo's die, then replace with something better, but i dont really see how its going to help you right now when your just bashing.
Madbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Allumina

I would strongly suggest, if you're dead-set on upgrading servos, to save another week, or two whatever need be and get yourself a Hitec 7955TG, they're incredible plus you've got a lifetime warranty, which is worth the price alone in my opinion.
Allumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbrad View Post
The 7955 is a little over kill for a buggy dont you think ?

If your just bashing I wouldnt upgrade anything untill it broke. When the servo's die, then replace with something better, but i dont really see how its going to help you right now when your just bashing.
I understand. Again, I'm not looking to enter any international tournaments here. I just want a little extra torque for fun. $100+ servos seem way overboard for this. I'm not upgrading anything until it arrives, I unpackage it, and break it in. Then I'll make a determination.

But like I said, if I were to upgrade servos I'm only looking for a little something to boost my torque for a little sharper turns.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #24
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokar View Post
I understand. Again, I'm not looking to enter any international tournaments here. I just want a little extra torque for fun. $100+ servos seem way overboard for this. I'm not upgrading anything until it arrives, I unpackage it, and break it in. Then I'll make a determination.

But like I said, if I were to upgrade servos I'm only looking for a little something to boost my torque for a little sharper turns.

you wanted our advice....Now you got it.......Cheap servo's yield cheap results....PERIOD.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #25
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Quote:

Well JR make some that are $200 so $100 isn't hat bad. If you are even going to club race you need the servos. Remember they control everything. You can have a big expensive engine and an all option upgaded buggy but if yo can't control it what good is it? You can buy the cheap 50 buck servos but within 6 months or so you will more tham likely be buying another one. Spend the $100 and be dne with it. Servos are very important. This hoby is not cheap or for the budget orientaited. You can race on a budget but yo still will spend some money. If you are just bashing around then nothing in this post pertains to you at all.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hmm.

Hows this servo? Will it give decent torque compared to the RTR ones? Keep in mind I'm not looking to go overboard.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tal-Gear-Servo
NO - you are going to spend about $100 buck - welcome to an expensive hobby - it's going to cost you now or cost you more later - Its not going over board - most of the guys here have been through what you are yet to experience. This is not a cheap hobby and never will be. I would copy what has been said - save up and get GOOD servos, I like JRs but Hitecs are just as good
Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Lol ok. Since everyone is telling me to upgrade the steering servo, I guess $100 steering servo it will be. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #28
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Upgrades?

All right, here goes. I had one (same kit) a long time ago and it was a tank untill you wack something hard. Wait on the upgrades untill you need them. That Mac Star does run a little hot (250 - 280) but so what? Most of the time it's just the fuel, to much oil, that does it. Try to stay 9% oil and 20% fuel and, very important, no long,high speed runs. I'm not going to tell you what brand of fuel 'cause it'll drive you nuts. Just try to keep it fresh and you'll be OK. Keep an eye on the chassis braces 'cause they get lose and move around alot. Keep it clean!!! The only way you'll know if something is wrong is when you clean it 'cause it is a tank and will keep going even when it's messed up. Run the tires untill there done and save up for some pre-mounts later. For a while take it easy till you know what it will do, then turn up the heat. To set it up so it will stop flippin' so muchGo to the OFNA forum boards for set-ups. And , most of all , HAVE FUN!!! After all,it is a toy
The Working Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:41 AM   #29
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Working Man View Post
All right, here goes. I had one (same kit) a long time ago and it was a tank untill you wack something hard. Wait on the upgrades untill you need them. That Mac Star does run a little hot (250 - 280) but so what? Most of the time it's just the fuel, to much oil, that does it. Try to stay 9% oil and 20% fuel and, very important, no long,high speed runs. I'm not going to tell you what brand of fuel 'cause it'll drive you nuts. Just try to keep it fresh and you'll be OK. Keep an eye on the chassis braces 'cause they get lose and move around alot. Keep it clean!!! The only way you'll know if something is wrong is when you clean it 'cause it is a tank and will keep going even when it's messed up. Run the tires untill there done and save up for some pre-mounts later. For a while take it easy till you know what it will do, then turn up the heat. To set it up so it will stop flippin' so muchGo to the OFNA forum boards for set-ups. And , most of all , HAVE FUN!!! After all,it is a toy
No high speed runs? I love doing those.

And a fuel brand recommendation would be great. I'm still looking to buy a gallon of fuel to break in. I was thinking either Sidewinder 20% or O'Donnell 20%. Are these good? I also have half a quart of Traxxas Top Fuel 33% left over. I'll probably use that when drag racing with my friends.

But seriously, what fuel do you recommend?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #30
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Fuel is one of those thongs that is specific to each driver. If you want it to be easy go with whatever your LHS carys I like the sidewinder it is good to the engines but any big name will do. Recently I became a team driver for coldfusion fuels and I must say this fuel rocks. It is by far the best fuel I have ever run. Shoot me a pm if you are interested I can hook you up with Vernon, but that's for the serious racer. I think you would be happier sticking with what is at your LHS.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote