R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #31
Tech Lord

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

All servos are going to need to be replaced eventually..I would rather get my new one for free, instead of paying $75-$120 every couple of years..Its almost like a buy it once and get free lifetime replacements. I cant argue with that
Old 06-25-2009, 09:17 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
BRASS VS TITANIUM........It really does not take a rocket scientist to figure it out....Brass gears are weak...and there's nothing to refute that with...the top cases are also weak......HITEC ALL the way.
What ever - in 4 years - I never stripper or broken a gear in any of my 10 plus JR servos, never had a issue with a case either sooooooooo

I have used Hitec and I have had to many problems with them.

This is my opinion period - you can say what ever you want about the JR servos, but I do know ALOT of people that run JR servos over Hitec and visa versa

I still say JR
Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #33

Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)

I still won't own another lotec. WHY? Because when they break, you have to take them out and send them in and wait for two weeks to get your servo back...yada yada yada...wash, rinse, repeat. Sure it's great to get a new servo for free...until it breaks right in the middle of a race again, and then you have to take it out again, send it in again, wait two weeks again..... See a pattern here???

Not to mention....everyone says they are cheaper...really? Does that factor in that you have so many extras to use while your others are being sent it to be replaced....again. So I buy ONE good servo for 120 bucks, put it in, it lasts several years with no issues. It finally breaks and I throw it away and buy another one.

You buy ONE hitec for 70-80 bucks, use it, it breaks, you send it in and wait. During that time...you either don't race, OR you spend another 80 bucks so you can have a another servo to use while you wait. AND, you get to spend money on shipping too.

I can count on one hand the people I know that will use Hitec servos anymore. Anyone that I race with, anywhere, that is a serious racer, uses either Airtronics, JR, KO, Associated, or some other higher-end brand of servo.

To each his own though. I guess if you don't mind a servo blowin up right in the middle of a race and watching your vehicle disappear over a hill running wide open, or someone trying to grab it while everyone is yelling SHUT IT OFF, and then waiting for two weeks to get it replaced and hoping no damage was done to your engine....then hitecs are a good deal. But for most of us, the risks don't outweight the rewards.

Again, to each their own.......Just my three cents.....

Brad

==TEAM NOVELTY==
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #34
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
questions

- not sure what's the point of buying Hitec servos just to be able to use their warranty program when they break... why not buy servos that don't break instead?

Personnally I'd vouch for a previous gen sanwa ERG-V series (airtronics 943XX series I think in the US)... they can easily be found for <$80 these days and were top-of-the-line not so long ago. They'll be plenty enough for 99.9% of the rc "pilots".

Paul

you've obviously never ran the 5955 or 79XX lineup....they are pretty much bullet proof and last Year's and Year's...the Bonus to the Warranty is that is it No question's asked....if they don't make that servo any more....you get the upgraded version....ive ran my 5955's in 8ight's for almost 2 season's where Ace's and Futaba's horribly failed...they have proven them selves over and over again.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra View Post
you've obviously never ran the 5955 or 79XX lineup....they are pretty much bullet proof and last Year's and Year's...the Bonus to the Warranty is that is it No question's asked....if they don't make that servo any more....you get the upgraded version....ive ran my 5955's in 8ight's for almost 2 season's where Ace's and Futaba's horribly failed...they have proven them selves over and over again.

To you

But I have spent alot of money of hitec servos last summer - but both failed in the middle of races. Yes they fixed them and sent them back to me, but th trust is gone. I have never DNF'ed with JR servos.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Adam Drake once told me this, "If I were to pay for my own servos, I would definitly get Hitec." He had Airtronics last time I seen his car, but I have had nothing but problems with the Airtronics 94357. I had to replace the motor (when it had the plastic bottom gear in it), replace plastic bottom gear twice, and finally got the metal bottom gear for $3 (didnt know Airtronics even made it). I finally got a good servo combo (Hitec 7955TG and Airtronics 94357) after about 5 cheapo blown servos, and the longest servo that lasted was the Hitec 625MG, but when I got home from the track it had the jitters for some reason so I am going to send it in.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:03 AM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYLDTHING View Post
I still won't own another lotec. WHY? Because when they break, you have to take them out and send them in and wait for two weeks to get your servo back...yada yada yada...wash, rinse, repeat. Sure it's great to get a new servo for free...until it breaks right in the middle of a race again, and then you have to take it out again, send it in again, wait two weeks again..... See a pattern here???

Not to mention....everyone says they are cheaper...really? Does that factor in that you have so many extras to use while your others are being sent it to be replaced....again. So I buy ONE good servo for 120 bucks, put it in, it lasts several years with no issues. It finally breaks and I throw it away and buy another one.

You buy ONE hitec for 70-80 bucks, use it, it breaks, you send it in and wait. During that time...you either don't race, OR you spend another 80 bucks so you can have a another servo to use while you wait. AND, you get to spend money on shipping too.

I can count on one hand the people I know that will use Hitec servos anymore. Anyone that I race with, anywhere, that is a serious racer, uses either Airtronics, JR, KO, Associated, or some other higher-end brand of servo.

To each his own though. I guess if you don't mind a servo blowin up right in the middle of a race and watching your vehicle disappear over a hill running wide open, or someone trying to grab it while everyone is yelling SHUT IT OFF, and then waiting for two weeks to get it replaced and hoping no damage was done to your engine....then hitecs are a good deal. But for most of us, the risks don't outweight the rewards.

Again, to each their own.......Just my three cents.....

Brad
What servos were you using? I've only had problems with Hitecs cheapo servo line stripping gears and motors burning. Same thing with other cheapo servos (JR, Airtronics, etc...). They are not really made to withstand the abuse of 1/8th steering.
pyromania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:35 AM   #38

Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromania View Post
What servos were you using? I've only had problems with Hitecs cheapo servo line stripping gears and motors burning. Same thing with other cheapo servos (JR, Airtronics, etc...). They are not really made to withstand the abuse of 1/8th steering.

It's been at least three years since I have used any hitec servos, so I can't really remember the numbers I used. I know I had several of them when I first started racing, but I don't think that I probably spent over 50-60 bucks for one back then. I didn't get into 1/8th scale till about threee years ago, so most of my experiences would've been in 1/10th truck and buggy off-road stuff.

The numbers that stick out in my head were 5965 or 25, and 965 maybe? I do know I had a 645 (I believe) that came with a radio I bought years ago that was probably the best hitec servo I ever owned. It lasted a couple of seasons for me in gas truck throttle/brake duties before shootin craps.

To be fair in my opinions, I have never owned a hitec 7955 (I think that's number everyone is using these days). It seems like I just keep hearing horror stories at the track where people are cussing their hitec servos, so I have stayed away. And, I have personally witnessed two of the runways that I was speaking of that were hitec servo related. BUT, I don't know what number servo they were.

If I remember right, I had a 5965? in a tenth buggy that didn't make it one season before it burnt up. I've never been a big crasher, and I'm typically pretty easy on my equipment (to poor to buy new all the time, so I baby it...lol).

Again though, in all fairness, I have never tried the 7955 that some are running in 1/8th scale, and if hitec makes anything else that is supposed to be better, I haven't tried them either. Still got a bad taste in my mouth from my previous experiences, and don't have the money to experiment with stuff that I don't know that I can count on.

Just to clarify....I am not trying to bash hitec servos...at all. I just know that alot of people read these threads, and want them to have info from both sides of the room. I know there are some (obviously) that will swear by Hitec stuff, and that's great. But I decided I wanted to give a little more to my story to show the reasons I believe what I believe....not just say, I don't like them and walk away.

To all of you that love the hitec stuff.....keep on keepin on! I do love it when people are willing to 'stick up' for a product that they believe in, even when they aren't 'paid' to do so! I think it's great!

And just for the record....I'm only sponsored by a hobby shop with a parts at cost deal, so I'm not a 'paid' opinion for any brands.

Brad

==TEAM NOVELTY==
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #39
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I ran JR 9100's all last year since the 9100 line came out and they are good servos. I went through a few 9100s but it was in a losi 8 and they are known for that. The 9100t on the steering blew the front bearing and developed a lot of slop due to the saver being set too tight and JR even replaced it despite of the user error causing the servo to blow the top bearing. I have nothing bad to say about the high end JR servos - 8800, 9000, 9100. Their cheaper line should be used as paper weights. I run a truggy and believe me you want as much torque doing the steering as possible. I think anything over 300 is all the same. The 9100 has 380 oz and the hitec 7055 has 333 oz. They feel like the same thing. I am sure the new 400+ oz will feel just like the 300+ does. I do have to say that while the JR servos were being replaced under warranty (BTW JR has an excellent warranty) I purchased some hitec servos to use. I like the quality of the hitec servos over the JR. I think they are a superior product and I will buy them in the future. I did have a 7965 I was using for the throttle go out and hitec replaced it within 2 weeks. No questions. Then again JR replaced their 9100 several times this year no questions. As long as you stick with 200+ oz on the steering and around 150 on the throttle I think you are good. I prefer 300+ on the steering and a fast .06 to .10 sec servo on the throttle but thats my preference. I believe you get what you pay for.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote