SPONSORS

Old 06-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Talking SPONSORS

can anyone tell me how poeple get sponsorship and how it works.

thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Pretty much networking.

Get to know the right people associated with the company, or be seen racing by the right people of said company.

some tips:

talk to sponsored drivers, become their friends, or help them out (turn marshal for them, maybe give them a soda on a hot day.. etc.) just don't be too much of a push over and kiss ass.

Race big races and win consistently. People might approach you.

Trade your own products and services for another company's products.
For example: If you are a really good painter and offer to paint 10 bodies for some company's race team, they will help you out.

Probably the most important and cliche tip: be yourself.

Once you do get offered with a sponsorship, you'll most likely have to sign a contract which might have:

-Period of sponsorship
-Various reqiurements (race x-number of times a month with logos on car and shirt. represent company, submit monthly race report, etc.)
-Percent discount on MSRP (Full 100%, 55%, 75%, etc)

And then your friends will see you and either be happy for you or hate on you because they're jealous. good luck, and have fun
Old 06-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cluffy1
can anyone tell me how poeple get sponsorship and how it works.

thanks
Promote the sport, be a good influence on and off the track, always be willing to help others, be willing to help at your local track and hobby shop and able to place well in an event. I'm not sponsored any a big names but my local hobby guy is sponsoring my brother and i since we showed we loved the sport and where willing to help out and help others.We promote our local hobby shop, people ask where did you get somthing, we will tell them from our hobby shop. You gotta start somewhere.
Tyler
Old 06-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by team2zon
And then your friends will see you and either be happy for you or hate on you because they're jealous. good luck, and have fun
this is 100% true
Old 06-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hi mate - also remember that results aren't everything. They're something, but not everything. Being approachable, friendly, giving advice, and being a good sportsman is very important. Sponsors want their products associated with good people, not arrogant SOBs who happen to win races.

You're willingness to travel to events also helps. Obviously if you're just a club racer who's happy to stay at your local isn't going to get the product out there as much as joe public, who travels far and wide.

At the end of the day tho - if you get the results, and put yourself out there for right reasons, you'll probably get noticed. I have a lot of friends who are both sponsored, and own hobby shops, and they say the same thing.

Good Luck
Old 06-22-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marz
. Sponsors want their products associated with good people, not arrogant SOBs who happen to win races.
Good Luck

classic
Old 06-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I found that if you are searching for the sponsorship you will never find it, but if you do as suggested above it will find you.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by houston
classic
You don't agree ?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Frank L
I found that if you are searching for the sponsorship you will never find it, but if you do as suggested above it will find you.
truer words have never been spoken...
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Addict

Also, if you become paranoid and obsessed with getting sponsored you tend to over drive etc. Don't get too focused on that, instead of going out there to drive!

In the end it's about having fun, and taking a relaxed approach to it.
If you get a deal, awesome, if you don't , just keep going with the same attitude, and like the above have stated, you'll get something outta it.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:50 AM
Tech Addict

I agree, I used to play alot of paintball and team was sponsored by Planet Eclipse over here in the uk. I got asked sooo many times how we got sponsored, and I personally think if people are looking to get sponsored, and asking.. most of the time, they either wont get sponsored, Or in the thought you then get stuff for free ect. I know that's paintball but not rc, But they used to ask how much can you get X for. and think I used to get it free, which is stupid.. small discount but that's it=Yes depends on your sponsorship conditions ect.
But, I never once thought about getting sponsored, I was in the right place at the right time, But you do have to put alot more effort into it and traveling. But then, most of the time the guys that are sponsored love what they do. And are more than happy to drive 5 hours to a tourney/race.. or longer if pro.. ect.. that's my view. I have been racing buggies for about 5-6 months.. Im in top B or low A main.. already.. always get good comments from people. Would love to be sponsored, but tbh.. I dont travel far to race and until I get better and start winning the A's it's not going to happen. Unless I can get a small hobby shop sponsor...
Old 06-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

You have to KNOW the hobby and what goes with it. You can make all the friends in the world but if you can not represent, by driving, winning then no one would look at you. You don't have to always run PRO or Expert but you do need to put it down on the track. Remember what wins on Sunday - sells on Monday. - Call Amain and ask them that. When Drake won with the Nova - Amain still can not keep them in stock.

But the sponsership come alot of racing and some travel. just be prepared to take off work to race, spend alot of time at the track practicing and racing ect.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marz
You don't agree ?
i never said that

just be a kewl kat who does not think that you should be sponsored .

i am asked at every race i go to " why aren't you sponsored by kyosho?" , but i never asked anybody for anything . i am not saying this is how you get sponsored but i am very well respected in the rc community .

i have alot of knowledge that i have gathered and learned and tested and pushed things to the limit to discover just how far can it go and i am more than willing to share if guys are more than willing to listen and understand .

happy motorin' guys ,
monty
Old 06-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 171 (97%+)

Everyone at my local track asks "How did you get Sponsored"? I tell them the best way is to go to as many races as possiable, Make the A Main Constsiantly, have a good on/ off track personality (SP?), and be a good all around person to talk to. If you win consistantly, but are too stuck up or a prick to talk to in the pits, you will never get sponsored. Back in the hardcore Electric Days, I encountered quite a few of these kinds of drivers. I constantly watched youg drivers walk up to them and ask questions, only to be told that they are busy working on their stuff. Nobvody likes that!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

The Losi guys are the best follow by AE sponsered drivers, what ever you need they would been over backwards for you, tuning, setup, even parts.

Alot of people say they should they get everything free. yes but very few get unlimited resources, most either have to pay a certian percentage for there stuff so giving out parts can be huge, but they do it with out question

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.