R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yea losi guys are great...a buddy of mine came up to adam drake at the phyco blast or watever in alanta, and said his grp is a pos...he said wats wrong with it...he said idk its a pos so he said giv me you adress and let me take the motor...he took it home switched bearings rod p/s for free and shiped it back out to him...thats awsome if you ask me
~MUGGIFIED Lst-xxl
reggie l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie l. View Post
yea losi guys are great...a buddy of mine came up to adam drake at the phyco blast or watever in alanta, and said his grp is a pos...he said wats wrong with it...he said idk its a pos so he said giv me you adress and let me take the motor...he took it home switched bearings rod p/s for free and shiped it back out to him...thats awsome if you ask me
and thats y he wins driver of the year - every year - I heard that a group of people was upset by that this year - but Drake is a great guy
Old 06-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #18
Tech Addict

One other piece of advice I'd like to share with you...don't be afraid to ASK!

That doesn't mean be pushy or a butt about it, but what's the worst answer you're going to get...a "no". But you may get lucky and the company rep that said "no" might be cool enough to tell you why they said "no" which will help you get better prepared for the next time. Just keep your eyes and ears open and focus on being approachable and helping others.
Team RcRenew...visit us at rcrenew.com!
Triton RC Alpha Plus Engines
rcgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I made a racing resume and sent it to the team captains of the companies I was interested in. It was a real resume like you would send in if you were applying for a job with references and the whole nine yards. Tell them what you bring to the table and how you think you could help them make sales. Most companies will respond positively if you present yourself professionally.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Smiley" View Post
Everyone at my local track asks "How did you get Sponsored"? I tell them the best way is to go to as many races as possiable, Make the A Main Constsiantly, have a good on/ off track personality (SP?), and be a good all around person to talk to. If you win consistantly, but are too stuck up or a prick to talk to in the pits, you will never get sponsored. Back in the hardcore Electric Days, I encountered quite a few of these kinds of drivers. I constantly watched youg drivers walk up to them and ask questions, only to be told that they are busy working on their stuff. Nobvody likes that!

That's a really shitty way to be. It takes an immense amount of courage for a kid to walk up to someone who is usually considerably older than them and ask for advice. It doesn't feel good to be shut down. And for kids, it's a feeling that will forever be associated with the hobby and the people in it. The feeling of being shut down like that doesn't go away. It can push youngsters out of the hobby altogether. And then you have a bunch of old dudes playing with toy cars and no young guns to progress the hobby.

I experienced this in a lot of the hobbies I was involved with when I was younger(Not that I'm particularly old now). Luckily, at least in Southern Ontario, the sponsored guys around here are extremely helpful and happy to answer questions. Most sponsored guys you can see just really, really love the hobby, know a lot about it and appear to enjoy sharing their knowledge almost as much as they love turning laps.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semple View Post
That's a really shitty way to be. It takes an immense amount of courage for a kid to walk up to someone who is usually considerably older than them and ask for advice. It doesn't feel good to be shut down. And for kids, it's a feeling that will forever be associated with the hobby and the people in it. The feeling of being shut down like that doesn't go away. It can push youngsters out of the hobby altogether. And then you have a bunch of old dudes playing with toy cars and no young guns to progress the hobby.

I experienced this in a lot of the hobbies I was involved with when I was younger(Not that I'm particularly old now). Luckily, at least in Southern Ontario, the sponsored guys around here are extremely helpful and happy to answer questions. Most sponsored guys you can see just really, really love the hobby, know a lot about it and appear to enjoy sharing their knowledge almost as much as they love turning laps.
Agree - but its not just the kids they push away - I have seen grown men get upset with how they are treated when they answer a question about RC. I have seen local Sponsered Pros throw such a fit on the drivers stand, once a father grabbed his son, sold all his RC stuff on the spot just because he did not want his some to be around that kind of behavior. It a very competive thing but its also suppose to be fun. No way should a PRO driver sponsored or not, run someone away from this hobby that we ALL try so hard to build up and get noticed.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by token View Post
The Losi guys are the best follow by AE sponsered drivers, what ever you need they would been over backwards for you, tuning, setup, even parts.

Alot of people say they should they get everything free. yes but very few get unlimited resources, most either have to pay a certian percentage for there stuff so giving out parts can be huge, but they do it with out question
I can vouch for at least one of the AE guys. Kraig Kreuger was pitting next to me last year at the RC Pro Finals (next stall.) Now, I've seen him around at the track, but didn't really know him... I've pitted him a few times, but I do that for just basically anyone that asks, time permitting.

I popped a motor in practice... and my backup wasn't working properly.

Kraig reached into his toolbox and handed me HIS backup motor. I didn't end up running it, (I did a little work to the backup that night and got it working ok) but the gesture was very nice.

On top of that, just in general he's a very nice, low-key guy. Absolutely a credit to the sport and to AE.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marz View Post
Sponsors want their products associated with good people, not arrogant SOBs who happen to win races.

I have one of them and he also writes for a top name RC Mag...
HAWK498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SkarTisu Send a message via Yahoo to SkarTisu

One other consideration is whether a given company already has representatives in a given area. If the company you're interested in already has several people they're helping out in the region where you're racing, chances are very slim that they'll add you to their program.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:55 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

In regards to being approachable, both my brother and myself started the hobby 5 to 6 years ago, started with some cheap electrics, got some better cars (2nd hand). And my brother had a friend that raced hardcore electric at the local track..... we went down and had a look, as we already knew him, we had a chat and asked for some help re: gear ratios and what he run. reply was "oh just the standard ratio" and he walked off.

Now we where looking to start racing, it wasnt so much what he said, but the way he said it and the way he acted. We turned around got in the car and drove home, never went back.

couple years later (after that incident we only bashed our rc cars) i decided to take the plunge and get a RTR nitro buggy, got a kyosho, wasnt the greatest car or the fastest but i had fun with it, struggled with the tuning though. Anyway we found out that the nitro guys had taken over the local track and were rebuilding it. I took my car down, and we where talking to one of the locals, mentioned the car and the tune. He said go grab it and he will take a look it. Fired it up and he tuned it for me on the spot. That pretty much got me back into the hobby.

I have since moved, and my new local track majority of the guys are very approachable. had a school kid come down with an electric he had recently got, he looked very nervous about being there anyway he had to marshal the nitro buggies, i was out there and lets say he had never done it before, saw him marshal a car, he grabbed the first buggy on the sides and almost got the exhaust outlet, ran over and showed him how to turn the cars over.

I think first impressions at the track make or break future racers. I almost didnt want to race after my first experience, but i love rc so decided to give it another go. My 2nd experience made me race, and spend money i am not sponsored, i am not that good a racer, and i do it purely for the enjoyment.
CMB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Another way to get noticed is by running the RC PRO SERIES. Running this series really helps you figure out where you stand on a national level.
Being a team player is important. If you want a good pit man, you need to be a good pitman yourself. learn and listen, be able to use the advice you are given successfully, so you know when your giving advice to someone else, it's actually good advice.

If you want to become really knoledgable, get your hands on a Hudy tuning guide. Everything you want to know about tuning is in there. That tuning advice applies to pretty much any car.
One important thing, don't refuse to help someone especially if they run a different brand of vehicle. I witnessed a top level pro do this exact thing. a friend of mine asked this driver for some advice, he asked what kind of car he drove. Xray he said. well that wasn't the company this pro represented, so without a single word, he turned around and walked away.

I laughed at my friend at the time, mostly because I couldn't believe how rude it was for that driver to turn and walk away.

I'm lucky the Xray guys are ready to bend over backwards to assist fellow racers.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I know nothing about racing but common sense tells me this - be a good driver with your own stuff, have a decent attitude, and I'm sure sooner or later someone will notice you
spawn_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My Son started off with the friend of a friend of a friend getting him a 50% deal, he got better and more knowledgable, kept in very close contact with the company and they slowly bumped him to 75%, 85% etc..
He also went after friends and family, putting a local towing company on his car, a tire store, a trucking company and he has some name brand fuel company and motor company sponsors also. Every little bit helps. He's very fast and even gave me a brand new sweatshirt because it had a competitors name on it.
He also keeps trying for more sponsors to this day, i mean who wouldn't want to be a full factory driver for OS or Mugen, or any big name company where you didn't have to worry about running worn out stuff.
Currently his biggest sponsor is his Mother and she REALLY wants him to be supported by someone other than her pocketbook also.
bgbelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:36 AM   #29
Tech Addict

I just skimmed over this thread but here is something else to think about is to be at least be running the product you are looking for sponsored from. I get many resumes from drivers and when I ask if they run the product either they have not or say "I will be when you give me free stuff".
92zero Designs
jlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:35 AM   #30
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Send a message via MSN to DOMIT Send a message via Yahoo to DOMIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro View Post
Another way to get noticed is by running the RC PRO SERIES. Running this series really helps you figure out where you stand on a national level.
Being a team player is important. If you want a good pit man, you need to be a good pitman yourself. learn and listen, be able to use the advice you are given successfully, so you know when your giving advice to someone else, it's actually good advice.
I'm personally a really BAD driver... I rank at the bottom of the RC Pro Intermediate class... But I DO understand setup on a car. It is the motor skills and hand-to-eye coordination that I lack.

Quote:
If you want to become really knoledgable, get your hands on a Hudy tuning guide. Everything you want to know about tuning is in there. That tuning advice applies to pretty much any car.
One important thing, don't refuse to help someone especially if they run a different brand of vehicle. I witnessed a top level pro do this exact thing. a friend of mine asked this driver for some advice, he asked what kind of car he drove. Xray he said. well that wasn't the company this pro represented, so without a single word, he turned around and walked away.

I laughed at my friend at the time, mostly because I couldn't believe how rude it was for that driver to turn and walk away.
Yup, that's pretty harsh and arrogant.

Quote:
I'm lucky the Xray guys are ready to bend over backwards to assist fellow racers.
I can vouch for that too... and for RC America in general. Bryan drove all the way out to the local track just to drop off a part for me (diff pins) because A-main had the parts mislabeled and I didn't have any even though I ordered what was supposed to be the right part. Now THAT speaks volumes for their customer service and for the attitude of the distributor and the team.
Unsponsored, but I use/recommend: XRay XB9, Alpha A852, Dynamite 053, Airtronics M11, Hitec 5955TG & 7955TG, ABEC 35 clutch and chassis bearings, PTRCRacing shock and diff fluids, Ready Rollers ceramic engine bearings. ** Team Terribles Region 9 coordinator. ** JOIN TEAM TERRIBLES! All racers welcome! PM me for details.
DOMIT is offline   Reply With Quote