R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Krawlin Send a message via MSN to Krawlin Send a message via Yahoo to Krawlin
Default Mugen MBX5-T Spur Gear Rubbing

I have a Mugen MBX5-T and it has a problem with the spur gear rubbing the radio tray. Every time I apply brake, the throttle/brake servo pulls the radio tray into the spur. I have flexed the chassis as much as I could to see if the spur would contact the radio tray and it never does, only when I apply brake.

I Dremel'd the stock aluminum tray so that it would get rid of the problem, which it did, but now I have a King Headz radio tray ( http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...io-Plate-Black ) and the material that goes behind the servo is very narrow and the spur is contacting the radio tray again.

I am afraid to Dremel this King Headz tray because I plan on getting a stronger throttle/brake servo soon, as the one I have now is weak but still enough to pull the tray into the spur, and if I dremel it now and get a stronger throttle/brake servo, it will probably just pull the tray into the spur again.

I currently have the aluminum radio tray post, but I am wondering if I got this - http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...dio-Tray-Mount - if it would keep the throttle/brake servo from pulling the radio tray into the spur when I apply the brake?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

yes get the alum try mount i run one on my 5r and dont seem to have that problem

also set your epa on the breaks to no pull so far you dont need to move them that much to lock them up.
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Krawlin Send a message via MSN to Krawlin Send a message via Yahoo to Krawlin

Now someone just told me that having fuel tubing on your linkage actually gives you more braking power, is this true? I would assume more tubing means less braking power, say I have a 3/8 inch piece of fuel tubing on the linkage for rear brake and a 1/4 inch piece of fuel tubing on the linkage for front brake, is the front brake going to have more power?
Old 06-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawlin View Post
Now someone just told me that having fuel tubing on your linkage actually gives you more braking power, is this true? I would assume more tubing means less braking power, say I have a 3/8 inch piece of fuel tubing on the linkage for rear brake and a 1/4 inch piece of fuel tubing on the linkage for front brake, is the front brake going to have more power?
Adjust the knobs for F/R braking and look in the manual to see how long the fuel tubing should be F/R.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Well I for the most part fixed it. With no fuel tubing, there was no give in the linkages and the servo was pulling the radio tray into the spur gear. So I took the center diff out and setup my linkages just how I wanted them, and I also cleaned the brake discs and scuffed the calipers with some fine sand paper. The discs and calipers had a bunch of oil on then, not silicone diff oil, smelled like WD40, and after cleaning them, they are much more "grabby." So anyway, I put it all back together and with my weak throttle/brake servo I have pretty good braking power, and the spur isn't making contact with the radio tray anymore, I guess because the fuel tubing gives and doesn't allow the servo to pull the radio tray into the spur. I will be getting a stronger throttle/brake servo though, so after I get it I will report back if it makes the radio tray contact the spur.