R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2009, 01:33 AM   #16
Tech Addict
 
jamiekerr14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Uk
Posts: 607
Default

Ok thanks guys some helpfull info now.. My search continues.. As always some have never had issues with one.. and some have.. so will keep looking and see if I come across a good deal cheers
__________________
Xray XB4
Supported By:
RC Disco
jamiekerr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #17
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hayward CA
Posts: 702
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
I haven't had any MAG heads break. I have bent the top fin on a small edge and the head can compress if landed on on top of, but I have yet to break off any pieces so far.
+1,

one of my mag head has bent fins on top, magnesium is easier to to stress fracture though.

if it breakes then I'll just get the worlds spec2 cooling head.
devilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:32 AM   #18
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hayward CA
Posts: 702
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekerr14 View Post
Ok thanks guys some helpfull info now.. My search continues.. As always some have never had issues with one.. and some have.. so will keep looking and see if I come across a good deal cheers
if you plan on pickedup a used one, just remember to ask.

does it comes with ALL the original Carb inserts?

how many head shims was used, and in there now.

my speed with 4gal still has ton of pinch.

these motors are worth their cost, although If I had to get a new one, I'd pick up the Pro-mod Vspec, since it's basically same motor with blue cooling head.
devilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic
 
SteveP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
...But the simple fact is that magnesium doesn't cool as well as aluminum. My point is that an aluminum head engine will run cooler than a mag head engine.
You might be surprised to know that the thermal efficiency of materials used in aluminum and mag heads for RC engines are about the same. The more interesting difference between the materials is the emissivity, which can impact temp readings from an infrared temp sensor. I've run engines with both types of head, and I'm not ready to sign on to the "it runs hotter" bandwagon. The thermal efficiency properties are nearly the same, so there has to be something else. Perhaps the coating isn't machined from the mag head, but it is on the aluminum head. The temp sensor might settle at a different distance with each head, etc. There are a lot of reasons that you might get a differ temp reading, but not any reason I've found that one should actually cool better than the other.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #20
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hayward CA
Posts: 702
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Stevep,

Thanks. that's good information to know.
devilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #21
Tech Master
 
reggie l.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: randallstown md.
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

you can get the new vspec(pro) its supposed to be the same as the mag head but it has the alum vspec head
__________________
_ClockWork-Racing_
http://www.clockworkracingengines.com/
~8t 2.0
~MUGGIFIED Lst-xxl
reggie l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #22
Tech Master
 
reggie l.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: randallstown md.
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
You might be surprised to know that the thermal efficiency of materials used in aluminum and mag heads for RC engines are about the same. The more interesting difference between the materials is the emissivity, which can impact temp readings from an infrared temp sensor. I've run engines with both types of head, and I'm not ready to sign on to the "it runs hotter" bandwagon. The thermal efficiency properties are nearly the same, so there has to be something else. Perhaps the coating isn't machined from the mag head, but it is on the aluminum head. The temp sensor might settle at a different distance with each head, etc. There are a lot of reasons that you might get a differ temp reading, but not any reason I've found that one should actually cool better than the other.
yea a buddy of mine has tha mag head and its never over heated or flamed out,he had it in his truggy it would put the newer speeds to shame...he recently sold it to a newb on the track and he put it in his buggy its the fastest thing on the track and the guy is hard on the throttle and it wont go over 240...mabe they had a bad bach of mag heads idk..but i kno the one i see runs great and its been sold to a newb and still runs great with his tuneing
__________________
_ClockWork-Racing_
http://www.clockworkracingengines.com/
~8t 2.0
~MUGGIFIED Lst-xxl
reggie l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #23
Moderator
 
WYLDTHING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Justa passin through.......
Posts: 4,538
Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilchrist View Post
If I had to get a new one, I'd pick up the Pro-mod Vspec, since it's basically same motor with blue cooling head.

It's my understanding that the Pro version doesn't have the Speed (knife edge) con rod in it either.

Brad
__________________
<>< JESUS IS MY HERO! ><>

==TEAM NOVELTY==
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #24
Tech Master
 
reggie l.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: randallstown md.
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYLDTHING View Post
It's my understanding that the Pro version doesn't have the Speed (knife edge) con rod in it either.

Brad
thats not a big diff in performance...but if you rather have it just buy one after break in
__________________
_ClockWork-Racing_
http://www.clockworkracingengines.com/
~8t 2.0
~MUGGIFIED Lst-xxl
reggie l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #25
Tech Lord
 
Frank L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 12,500
Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)
Default

I started running an os speed wc II about a month ago and I love it. It was expensive but I believe that you get what you pay for. I run a 8t 2.0 and the speed has pleanty of power as a matter of fact it flat screams I gear up to 14 cb on larger tracks and it has no problem. I can out pull any racer so far on the straights with no problem. I did install an eb mode head button and I noticed a big improvement. I am getting 10:30-11 min on a tank and I am very pleased with the performance of this engine. Temps are 240's when tuned right. I have just over 2 gallons on it and it has tons of pinch. I do have a buddy who runs a pro twister mod vspec and that engine will give the speed a run for it's money. His RC8 is one of the fastest I have seen. With all the mode the PTM version isvsry very close to the speed and about $150 less. For me I like the bling that comes with the speed, but the PTM is just as strong and it looks identical except the head is blue. The crank has the coatinng, it's balanced, the ceramic bearings are there, the head is cross drilled, the rod has a lot of work done to it, and the head button has been modded so no need to change it. I am sure I missed something but these engines are great. I highly reccomend them. If you have the cash go for the speed. If you want to save a little get the PTM, you will not be disappointed.
__________________
- X-Ray/ RC America Team Driver - MKS -
- XB8 - XB8T - XB8 E - OS Spec III - B2102 - 4PXR -
~ SSC ~ Godfather ~ Ironman ~ ButterySmooth ~
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #26
Moderator
 
WYLDTHING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Justa passin through.......
Posts: 4,538
Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie l. View Post
thats not a big diff in performance...but if you rather have it just buy one after break in

Well...I believe there is a pretty noticeable difference, and if you have to start buying Speed parts to make your Pro like a Speed, then you might as well just get the Speed....lol.

There is sleeve, stroke, and porting differences between the two engines as well.

It's all in what you like, and how much you want to pony up for a mill.

Brad
__________________
<>< JESUS IS MY HERO! ><>

==TEAM NOVELTY==
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #27
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 341
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYLDTHING View Post
It's my understanding that the Pro version doesn't have the Speed (knife edge) con rod in it either.

Brad
I just got my Pro-Mod and took it apart to seal it up and it has a speed con-rod in it.
bphil49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #28
Moderator
 
WYLDTHING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Justa passin through.......
Posts: 4,538
Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphil49 View Post
I just got my Pro-Mod and took it apart to seal it up and it has a speed con-rod in it.
Hmmm.....That's not what one of their full-boat sponsored drivers told me. Interesting....
__________________
<>< JESUS IS MY HERO! ><>

==TEAM NOVELTY==
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #29
Tech Master
 
reggie l.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: randallstown md.
Posts: 1,360
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYLDTHING View Post
Well...I believe there is a pretty noticeable difference, and if you have to start buying Speed parts to make your Pro like a Speed, then you might as well just get the Speed....lol.

There is sleeve, stroke, and porting differences between the two engines as well.

It's all in what you like, and how much you want to pony up for a mill.

Brad
no i still say buy the conrod if it means that much because the motor is still cheaper than tha speed so y not..(but the guy above says that it does have a nife edge sooo......)

and yes there is slight differences between the new speed and the pro..its because the pro is built like the very 1st mag head speed which was a pure power house motor vs the more fuel efficient speeds out after that(not say they dnt have power, but just not as explosive vs the mag head or 1st speeds made)

thats y i think they started making the pro vspec,, so if you dnt realy care about run times and u just want power like the 1st speeds there you go..and its doesnt have a mag head that every one complaind to be a problem
__________________
_ClockWork-Racing_
http://www.clockworkracingengines.com/
~8t 2.0
~MUGGIFIED Lst-xxl
reggie l. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #30
Moderator
 
WYLDTHING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Justa passin through.......
Posts: 4,538
Trader Rating: 148 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie l. View Post
no i still say buy the conrod if it means that much because the motor is still cheaper than tha speed so y not..(but the guy above says that it does have a nife edge sooo......)

and yes there is slight differences between the new speed and the pro..its because the pro is built like the very 1st mag head speed which was a pure power house motor vs the more fuel efficient speeds out after that(not say they dnt have power, but just not as explosive vs the mag head or 1st speeds made)

thats y i think they started making the pro vspec,, so if you dnt realy care about run times and u just want power like the 1st speeds there you go..and its doesnt have a mag head that every one complaind to be a problem

Like I said.... it's all in what ya like and how much you want to spend for an engine.

I have a mag head speed, and I have seen a crank from a Pro, and they aren't the same. But, the rod in his Pro that I seen wasn't a Speed rod either, so I don't know what's going on there. Plus, the piston and sleeve in a Pro are just stock V-spec parts that are hand-picked to match better...they aren't the same as a mag head speed either, as far as porting and such.

Brad
__________________
<>< JESUS IS MY HERO! ><>

==TEAM NOVELTY==
WYLDTHING is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nitro On-Road Addict sa RC Manila Racers 12522 12-27-2015 05:51 PM
O.S. .12 TZ(P)-T3 Speed Tuned madnitro Onroad Nitro Engine Zone 368 04-07-2013 11:17 PM
Quick Question concerning O.S. freestylinmotox Nitro Off-Road 13 06-11-2009 12:23 AM
My Misbehavin' RC Speed Results for Team Losi 8ight. lanerbrainer205 Nitro Off-Road 49 08-06-2007 02:32 PM
CE Dyno Question Yankey Electric On-Road 148 04-01-2006 10:56 PM
Basic Car Tuning esham Nitro On-Road 117 12-12-2005 12:15 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:39 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net