R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default different Losi clutch set-ups

Anyone that runs the Losi 4 shoe clutch post your set-up and reasons why you run it. Im trying different spring and shoe combos and just wanted to hear what everyone else is running and why. I know there are a couple of threads with answer and other clutches but didnt see one with the standard Losi clutches.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

2 MaxLife/2 carbon, green and black springs. Gives a nice smooth take off and lasts a long time! Look in the 2.0 manual, there is a section at the back for different clutch setups.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

maxlifes+carbons, gold+green. 1 1/2gallons still like new
Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

2 blue aluminum/ 2 carbon. silver on aluminum gold on carbon.Hits hard no extra clutch heat in the motor from slippage.
deweyharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

M2C ultra light (hard compound) clutch shoes. great shoes!
Old 06-20-2009, 04:55 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

2 max lifes 2 carbon with 4 green springs
chrisjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:12 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 126 (100%+)

king headz 7075 w/ green and gold losi springs awesome shoe smooth take off and last for ever working on my third gallon with this set up hope this helps

STRC LCG Slash looking for electronics

1985 Associated RC 10 Novak t4 Trinity Monster Horsepower 27T futaba Jr
gkn0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I run a 8t 2.0 and I have tried many different clutch setups. So far the best is kingheads 6061 alum shoes and 2 gold/ 2 green. I have a out a gallon on this setup and still read 24.2mm. I have tried many setups that were wore out in a quart mostly with the grp engines usually using some combo of silver/ goldor all silver. The m2c hard light shoes only lasted a quart with all silver. I think a lot of it has to do with the driver and the engine. I switched from grp's to an os speed and I am not searching for the low anymore and the clutchnlaste like it's supposed to. Also I am not getting much metal transfer inside the clutch bell with the speed. I know this is caused from excessive heat, but even when I ran the same setup 6061 gr/gld with the grp there was a lot of metal transfer in the cb.
Frank L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:25 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Thanks for the replies guys. I run on 3 different tracks at times and they all have different dirt and lay-outs so Im wanting to find the perfect clutch for each. I have 2 aluminum flywheels and 1 steel so Im gonna set up all 3 a little different. Honestly, the stock clutch set-up with the roller is going on its 3rd gallon and still is in fairly good shape but just need some options. Im about to try the steel flywheel with 2 alum. and 2 carbon with black and green. I'll run it on a loose and loamy track.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Has anyone tried 2 answer high bite shoes for losi and 2 carbons ? Thinking of trying them also. Why is the 2 alum. and 2 carbon so popular for buggy ? Is it because of wear properties ?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer43 View Post
Has anyone tried 2 answer high bite shoes for losi and 2 carbons ? Thinking of trying them also. Why is the 2 alum. and 2 carbon so popular for buggy ? Is it because of wear properties ?

you need composite shoes in buggy to allow the clutch to slip a little.....all 4 alum shoe hits way too hard unless you have all the traction in the world like on a Hard pack 100% blue groove where you could get away with all that clutch grab...the composite's will actually lubricate the clutch and prevent slag from building up which is a real bonus as you Rarely if ever have to replace the clutch bell....use the Steel flywheel on the loosest of tracks and the alum on the tight technical...Or if you have 2 different motor's...use the steel on the more powerful of the 2 on bottom end...when i used to run a modded JPX in buggy i ran the steel flywheel to help tame the bottom down a bit.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

That's great that you have the steel and alum wheels to try. I have found that my clutch spring combo varies from engin to engine - depending on where it likes to make power. So, start somewhere and have an assortment of springs handy. With a quickchange mount (losi or my favorite KingHeadz) you can pull the engine, a couple fuel lines, throttle linkage and pipe mount and access the clutch in a matter of minutes. These clutches are so easy to tune it is awesome. If you need less punch, throw some softer springs at it. If you need a bit more punch, go stiffer. Take small steps and see what works for that engine/pipe/track combination.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #13
Tech Addict

I tried the steel flywheel with 2 carbon/green and 2 alum./black last night and didnt like it as well as the stock set up.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Stay away from the black springs they are too soft. Stay away from the silver as they are too hard. Your best combination's are going to come from an assortment of green or gold springs, aluminum (dynamite maxlife are the best IMO) and carbon shoes.

I run 4 maxlifes with 2 green and 2 gold springs on a steel flywheel JPX engine at The Farm II.) Shoes last more than a gallon with great punch. Also make sure your engine is squared (in line side to side and front to back). Poor engine alignment can cause your clutch to heat up unnecessarily. This can cause poor wear and poor performance and clutch bearing failure as well.

If you don't have one get a 1 piece motor mount. Get your base set correctly first then make your clutch adjustments. Throw that paper test in the trash. Take a flathead screwdriver and stick it in the spur so it doesn't move. Then rock your CB back in forth there should be no more than 1/8th inch movement back in forth.

We as drivers forget sometimes how many variables there are in each problem we are having with our rides. Always start back at the base and work your way out. Make sure once you get it meshed and squared you tighten the 4 bottom screws small turns in an X pattern. Tightening one screw all the way will pull then engine out of align.

1. CB Mesh 2. Engine Alignment 3. Engine tune Once these 3 things are correct then start playing with your clutch set up.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
Tech Addict

thanks for the advice but all that is covered. I just dont like the set up I mentioned. I was told to try it so I did. Back to the gold on alum. and green on carbon.