R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 06-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #16
Tech Adept

I own a mbx6 and I've driven a zo1-b and most in my area are switching to mugen,that right there ought to tell u something.!!
oh and I said it was my opinion that mugen was a better vehicle. Drive one you'll see.Lol..
Old 06-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yea a guy at the track bought a mugen so i'll see if i can bribe him into letting me drive it. I am leaning toward mugen as i can get it from a somewhat close hobby shop for 80 dollars cheaper than z01 plus parts seem more readily available for mugen, but i have heard of front arms breaking on the mugen plus i will be keeping this truggy for a prob. 2 seasons so i want something to last so that's why the z01 is appealing.sounds like either would be an o.k. choice. Hmmm decisions decisions. Glad i've found an engine & electronics i like.
romax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Yea,my friend did break a arm this weekend on his mugen.I don't know if there is a problem or not.my other friend has a odonnell and he has had problems with the shocks. Like I said they all have issues,it's personal preference.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ezveedub Send a message via Yahoo to ezveedub

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilchrist View Post
so many "I think" and "I've read" that mugen is better LOL..

take advise from those who have actuallly driven the cars.. not people who's heard about it.

I have the z01B and it's absolutely superb in handling and durability.

Best is to read the car specific threads and hear read the people's experiences
I can tell you this, the guys here in FL don't do well with the ODonnells in buggy or truggy. At the FSORS events here, the Z01's are not holding up very well against the other brands.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to turbo250r
Default mugen

Quote:
Originally Posted by windellmc View Post
I spent almost 3 years driving the 5T and I now have the Z01-T. I think the Z01-T will be more durable in the long term based on what I saw with the 5T. I have not seen a 6T run yet so I cannot comment on the handling. I will say the Z01 is more consistent and faster than the 5T. I would expect the 6T to close that gap. The biggest problem I have seen with all my Mugen buggies and truggies was that after about a season of running they seem to slow down a little, and I never figured out which parts I had to replace to get it back to new performance.

I have seen parts availability issues with the Mugens before. Not to say it will be a problem again, but I think that is a potential problem for all brands. One knock on the Z01-T is that you are probably going to want to buy some machined steering knuckles so that will drive up your out of box price a little. It does come with 3 sets of sway bars and 3 sets of shock springs and to buy that for the Mugen will cost quite a bit. OD parts prices are also the best (lowest) in the business. Just check out the prices on things like shock boots, shock rebuild kits, hubs, etc and you will see that the parts you need to replace most often are really affordable.
Sorry i would have to disagree, mugen are very well built and seemed to get faster as they wore in and hardly EVER break.After seeing the 6t run this weekend im going down Monday to get me one.
turbo250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

Oh well it is only my opinion, but it is the primary reason I switched from Mugen. I broke quite a few front lower arms on my Mugen and also bent a few universal dog bones. The truck getting slower over time was expected based on what I have seen with the buggies for the last 5 years. I thought they had it fixed with the 5t/5r shocks, but I guess not.

Everyone around here has dumped their Mugen over the last few months. Most have switched to the Losi 2.0 and a few have switched to the OD.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Lightbulb

Run what u feel comfortable with.U could always try driving each manufacturers car or truck and choose from there.Just a thought..I'm sure you'll find a few people willing to let u drive.!!!